The Real Reason Why Modern Day Music Is So Awful

Wind Chaser

Re: The Real Reason Why Modern Day Music Is So Awful
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2018, 03:21 pm »
I think this was posted previously this year...

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154824.0

arthur

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2018, 03:46 pm »
I’m sure most of us on this board have been making the exact same arguments most of our lives.

I think another issue that was only alluded to in the video is that pace of life has increased to a point where fewer people have time to just sit and listen to music - music has become a background soundtrack, not allowing the listener to appreciate complexity.

One thing I disagree with is that repetitive listening is necessarily brainwashing. Some music you just have to grow into, especially when in an unfamiliar genre. It took me some time to like Tom Waits and Dylan.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2018, 03:54 pm »
Back in the 1890s elders were complaining about 'young People'. 1920's 1950s 1960s etc
I bet the Romans back in BC same thing.
There is totally nothing wrong with the current music. What is wrong is YOU ARE NO LONGER YOUNG.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2018, 03:58 pm »
Music is awful today because, well... music is just awful. And it has little to do with studio technology.

It wasn't long ago when young people appreciated talented performers. Today, talent is no longer a requirement. The most important aspect of today's musician is marketing.

arthur

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2018, 04:04 pm »
“Our sires’ age was worse than our grandsires’. We, their sons, are more worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt.”

Book III of Odes, Horace, circa 20 BC

BUT, science is science, we are better  8)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2018, 04:53 pm »
90% of everything is crap - Sturgeon's Law.

Applies to all things and in all decades.  30 years ago, 90% of all music was crap.  We remember the 10% that was good/great and therefore incorrectly feel that "the past was awesome and today is awful".  I see this with movies, literature, music, you name it. 

dflee

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2018, 05:13 pm »
And, we all know if it's not Scottish it's CRAP.
Myers law.

Don

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2018, 06:48 pm »
I only listen to one kind of music. Music that I like!  :green:

Gene

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2018, 06:51 pm »
Music is awful today because, well... music is just awful. And it has little to do with studio technology.

It wasn't long ago when young people appreciated talented performers. Today, talent is no longer a requirement. The most important aspect of today's musician is marketing.
I see every day what these current pop artists do, talk, think and how they live, I listen what they compose and what they compose is equal what they are, they compose crap ''music'' why they are awful people.

who?me?

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2018, 06:59 pm »
Well, the whole nature of"music" has changed drastically over the last several decades.

Today, Music is not just music but today music is music plus marketing Plus celebrity status plus reality status Plus social status. It's a whole package not just the auditory part the lesson to.

For example there's a lot of great music out there that has been listen to very little period

Light in the Attic Records, a.k.a. L ITA, goes back and evolves and fines musicians that didn't have the backing of Capital records for Geffen or any underwriters. But they may good music so lLight in the Attic Records atreproduces those albums on vinyl and CD to make them available to others.

2bigears

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2018, 07:51 pm »
 :D I think old music was better than 10% good.  Some of that stuff was magic.   :D :popcorn:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2018, 08:16 pm »
90% of everything is crap - Sturgeon's Law.

Applies to all things and in all decades.  30 years ago, 90% of all music was crap.  We remember the 10% that was good/great and therefore incorrectly feel that "the past was awesome and today is awful".  I see this with movies, literature, music, you name it.
Completely agree. We only remember and save the best parts. All the drivel gets forgotten from the past. Then today, now, you have 100% of all hthe stuff. So it seems not as good due to selective memory.
And if like myself, I use reviews to only select the top/best of all. Five of five stars to buy. And I really do not want to hear anything less. So my collection going back to music recorded in the 30's 40' 50' 60' 70's 80's 90's All the junk is forgotten. only the best is remembered.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2018, 09:08 pm »
Back in the late 1960s I played my father my new favorite record by Janis Joplin and Big Brother. I naively thought that Dad, who liked his jazz on the sultry Peggy Lee side of the spectrum, might actually appreciate Joplin. He sat patiently until the end of Piece of My Heart and then turned to me and said, “You know, your mother and I are very worried that you’re on drugs.”

About three months later, after I probably ignored his suggestion to turn down the stereo for the umpteenth time, he came into my room, gently removed Quicksilver Messenger Service from the turntable, opened the window, and then frisbeed it across the driveway. I’m pretty sure that Dad thought all 60s rock music was crap. He did however drive me downtown to see the Jimi Hendrix Experience and then came back to pick me up at the end of the concert, all without complaint.

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2018, 09:20 pm »
I'm probably the youngest here, and I don't like any of them Top40 stuff. In fact I suspiciously wonder who these people are when I look around at the people of my every day life... Seriously, who likes it? Once in awhile something OK sneaks on, but really is feels like a conspiracy and makes me wonder if it's even real. I'm told people go to the concerts but it's a foreign land to me, the fans, the concerts, etc. My only inclusion into it is the radio if I'm flipping stations.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2018, 09:25 pm »
I'm probably the youngest here, and I don't like any of them Top40 stuff. In fact I suspiciously wonder who these people are when I look around at the people of my every day life... Seriously, who likes it? Once in awhile something OK sneaks on, but really is feels like a conspiracy and makes me wonder if it's even real. I'm told people go to the concerts but it's a foreign land to me, the fans, the concerts, etc. My only inclusion into it is the radio if I'm flipping stations.

How old are you?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jun 2018, 09:50 pm »
@who?me?:  It's more than just celebrity status and marketing. Elvis. Sinatra. etc. They all had top status and marketing machines back then. Still their music isn't "crap". So there's more to it.

Hey goosepond, love Hedy all right! wow.  :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jun 2018, 10:00 pm »
How old are you?

I was in high school when I joined the site that spawned this one.

wushuliu

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2018, 10:02 pm »
Some years ago back in the early file-sharing days I came across an amazing mega compilation of late 60s psychedelic/rock albums. Stuff that didn't make charts or at least not in a big way. Just like you'd go to Spotify or iTunes now and see weekly releases outside what everyone is talking about. You know what? A lot of it is just awful. Just god-awful. Poor musicianship, poor production, terrible lyrics. But oh so going with the trends at the time. Groovy.

It's easy to look back with fondness when both culture and your memory culls the wheat from the chaff.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2018, 10:06 pm »
deleted
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2018, 06:06 pm by FullRangeMan »