Peacemaker - for Suicide Squad fans

WGH

Peacemaker - for Suicide Squad fans
« on: 19 Jan 2022, 01:13 am »

If you saw Suicide Squad 2 then you know what to expect. For others Peacemaker is a R rated* HBO Max comedy series where anything goes. John Cena is perfect as the dumb-ass trained killer Peacemaker who has a good heart and plenty of issues. He fights for peace at any cost, no matter how many people he has to kill to get it.

Peacemaker is released from prison and joins "Project Butterfly", a black ops squad that aims to eliminate parasitic butterfly-like creatures.

Written and directed by James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy), the ending of episode 1 is a classic and sets the tone for the rest of the 8 part series.

95% on RT
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/peacemaker_2022/s01

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

* Strong violence and gore, language throughout, plenty of sexual references and sex, drug use, nudity and laugh out loud moments. 

jriggy

Re: Peacemaker - for Suicide Squad fans
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2022, 02:11 pm »
So far this series is hilarious…but I love comedy.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2022, 10:59 am »
I love that DC has the lattitude for something like this. One of the downsides, IMO, of Disney owning both Marvel and Star Wars, is that it's likely going to put a lot of parameters on where they can go. Clearly this show can go just about anywhere it wants. I was so excited when I heard that the Game of Thrones guys were going to do an "adult" Star Wars film/trilogy, and equally as disappointed when I heard it fell through. So I really appreciate how HBO and Warner gave James Gunn free range. Also, he must be a genius, because I cannot remember an example of John Cena's acting where I thought he was actually good. But so far, Gunn has directed him to not only "good", but at times VERY good with regard to his acting. Im glad that it's receiving such high praise, because I want to see more of this sort of thing.

Carlman

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2022, 04:06 pm »
I think you're either into raunchy/dark super hero stuff or you're not.  I think I fall more into the latter.  For me it's because the "fallen hero" theme is just easy fodder for negative group-think, at a time when that's the opposite of what I wish for society.

In these 'unprecedented times' when our society is inundated with constant fear, government-forced lockdowns/quarantines, new threats of the next variant, and a variety of social shaming campaigns... being under this constant attack sucks, and makes even me feel defensive. (I'm not normally.)  And, I can see how watching a fallen hero doing what a government agency tells him to do (supposedly 'for the greater good') is consistent with the rest of the current pop culture.  So I guess that's what makes it popular.  Rotten tomatoes is owned by the Warner/Comcast mega media conglomerates so I think they are promoting the new and correct way of thinking.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's all fair and just a compilation of a wide variety of reviewers.

I watched the first season of Peacemaker and found some funny stuff in it.  It's interesting and got some cool stuff.  The blonde chick is hot.  There is nothing complicated about the plot and I can predict how it will go without having to watch more.

I think a much better show in this vein is "Young Justice" .. It deals more with teamwork and getting along.  It has some good humor in it as well.  I much prefer this series to Peacemaker.  It's still dark and more of a teen cartoon but so far it hasn't crossed the line with my values.

To each their own of course.  I'm just looking for a little more positive stuff at the moment... some hope.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2022, 04:39 pm »
Check out Doom Patrol when looking for teamwork, getting along (sometimes) and good humor. Doom Patrol is never predictable, every episode is off the wall, insane and it all somehow makes sense by each season's end. Each character is unique with a deep back story, raw emotions and life changing revelations by the end of season 3, there is more going on here than just craziness.

97% - 100% on RT
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/doom_patrol

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2022, 06:29 pm »
I found Peacemaker hilarious right from the intro.  Nothing serious about this series, just mindless fun. 

Best,
Ed