Nad's NX-Studio build and rig assembly

nadirmg

Nad's NX-Studio build and rig assembly
« on: 15 Jan 2022, 07:19 pm »
My dudes --

I'm really excited to finally start my own build thread. My first thread was about asking which components would go well with my NX-Studios. Well, I've got it all purchased and delivered. The last things I need to really decide on is:

• Speaker stands for the NX-Studios
  • An equipment rack for the components
  • Cording for connecting all my components
  • Sound treating my room

This week I glued my two speaker cabinets together! Finished and it feels really exciting to see them both standing next to each other. I've got the NoRez cut out too. My main open items for the buildout is:

• Build the crossovers - I'm scared!
  • Finishing the cabinets. I'm going to do a combination of white paint (front baffles only) and a light veneer on the rest of the cabinets (something like sycamore - my girlfriend LOVES sycamore - see picture below, I want something like this
  • Wiring

I could use some guidance as I work my way through these last phases of the build. So here are my questions.

1. Do I need to do a couple coats of Duratex before I do anything with paint/veneer?
2. I'm a bit stumped on how to go about painting the front baffles. I don't have a paint gun and a few auto paint shops I've asked in town (Waco) have looked at me with blank stares when I ask them if they can paint them for me. How do I get this done without buying a paint gun? lol
3. Should I get the paint on the front baffles done first and THEN do the veneer?
4. When I'm soldering my crossovers (I've never done anything like that before) I'm worried that I won't solder the connections correctly. For example:

In this picture, I've got two red circles indicating what I'm unsure about. Does the copper foil lead need to be overlapping the other circle's component leads to make a correct connection or do they all just need to be making a connection with that line, and is it as simple as that?

Shives

• I like French fries
Re: Nad's NX-Studio build and rig assembly
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2022, 07:32 pm »
I would just put them very close. No need to overly-wrap the foil around the caps lead. Would advise not to, incase you need to remove, or do something else. Single wrap, or what some do, I’ve seen is to poke a hole in the foil, put the cap through it, and solder the others through as well, or next to. Long as they are next to each other, and soldered very well (no cold solder joints) you should be good.

I’m sure someone will want to make a correction.

nadirmg

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2022, 07:34 pm »
Thank you!

(no cold solder joints)

Btw what is a cold solder joint?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2022, 08:11 pm »
Thank you!

Btw what is a cold solder joint?

a cold joint looks like it's soldered but does not actually have good adhesion so the joint can move resulting in poor contact. A proper solder joint should be smooth and shiny. A cold joint looks dull. At least, that is what I was taught to look for.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2022, 08:26 pm »
If you're looking for paint ideas on how to do it, there are likely several options. If you choose the diy route, it can be done by you and without spray guns. Go talk to your local auto paint store and ask them about their options for aerosols. Using the Spraymax cans, they spray as well as an inexpensive mini spray gun and you can put whatever quality of paint in there including topnshelf basecoat and clearcoat options. The big thing is primer on your raw MDF eill take a couple applications with sanding in between. I would recommend do the paint work first, then do the veneer so as not to have an issue with overspray or massive sanding dust.

The other option is to take them to a cabinet shop and ask them to refinish it. They deal with painting wood all day long, so for that it should be an easy project. Really just depends on how far down the rabbit hole you wish to go.

If you have any questions along the way, just shoot me a pm and I'll give you a hand.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2022, 08:50 pm »
My dudes --

I'm really excited to finally start my own build thread. My first thread was about asking which components would go well with my NX-Studios. Well, I've got it all purchased and delivered. The last things I need to really decide on is:

• Speaker stands for the NX-Studios
  • An equipment rack for the components
  • Cording for connecting all my components
  • Sound treating my room

This week I glued my two speaker cabinets together! Finished and it feels really exciting to see them both standing next to each other. I've got the NoRez cut out too. My main open items for the buildout is:

• Build the crossovers - I'm scared!
  • Finishing the cabinets. I'm going to do a combination of white paint (front baffles only) and a light veneer on the rest of the cabinets (something like sycamore - my girlfriend LOVES sycamore - see picture below, I want something like this
  • Wiring

Any solid stand that puts the center of the tweeter near the height of your ears when sitting will work. If the stand is hollow, you can add ballast like sand to make them less resonate and more stable.

The same is true for equipment racks. Solid, stable, and works with your equipment are the main criteria. Where you plan on putting your equipment in relation to the speakers is also something to be considered. If possible, equipment placed between the speakers is best kept close to the floor. Taller racks are best placed off to the side and/or at the back of the room. Keeping tall equipment racks out from between the speakers provides the best soundstage and imaging experience. Depending on how you use the system and the room, keeping tall things out from between the speakers may not be possible.

As for cabling, they need to be well designed and constructed. This includes good shielding for interconnects and power cables. Stupid expensive is not a requirement. If your equipment has the ability to be connected either balanced (XLR) or single ended (RCA), balanced will give the best performance as it keeps RFI/EMI interference from being picked up by the cables.

I wouldn't worry about sound treatments until after you have your speakers set up as best you can. Improper set up can cause a lot of room related issues. Proper setup can fix a lot of these. After you have fixed as much as you can with setup, then add room treatments to address the problems you have left.

I was scared of crossovers before building my first one too. Turns out they are not that hard to do and there is plenty of help here. If you're unsure of something, take pictures, post them here (with component values marked out to protect Danny's intellectual property), and ask questions before soldering.

DuraTex is not needed under paint unless you want the textured look of DuraTex in a color other than black or white. If you aren't after the DuraTex texture, then just use a primer/sealer then paint over that unless the product you use doesn't need a separate primer/sealer.

Do not put DuraTex under veneer. The veneer needs to be adhered directly to the MDF.

nadirmg

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2022, 10:55 pm »
Thanks everyone!

So I think this is what I'm going to do... tell me if I'm missing a step. Seriously, talk to me like I'm 10 years old and tell me if I'm not thinking this through correctly.

Finishing

I want to paint just the front baffles and the inside of the top section a pearly white (glossy piano white)
I want to veneer the sides, back and bottom
I need to tape off the sides/back/bottom when I'm doing all the priming/painting because the veneer needs to bond directly to the MDF.
I need to use a primer like BIN Shellec Primer on the front baffles and upper section under the grill. (
I'll sand between each coat of primer. Might need 3-4 coats.
After the priming phase is done, I add on my topcoat of finish that I want the speakers to show off.

Questions about finishing w/paint:
- Can I apply the primer with anything? Spraycan/paintbrush?
- Is there a final layer of clear sealant that goes on top of the topcoat to "lock in/protect" the top coat?
- Should i try to use primer to seal up the inside of the cabinet? That'll be interesting since they're all glued up.
- To get the glossy shine on my piano white, can this be accomplished with spray can or will i need to buy a spray gun?

Questions about finishing w/veneer:
- I didn't put anything in the bottom of the speakers to receive spikes/feet. Is it took late to do this and should I do it before I put the veneer on?
- Maybe feet/spikes are irrelevant if I'm going to use speaker stands?
- Is it advisable to veneer the front and two sides with three separate pieces or can I veneer it with long longer piece and wrap it around front side to back to other side?
- Should i even bother with finishing the bottom of the speakers? Or should i just paint that the same glossy piano white?

jlucas

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2022, 11:15 pm »
Stands: I’m using the Monoprice 28” stands for my NX Studios.
Equipment rack: Salamander Designs Archetype that I’ve had forever
Crossover:  All the speaker wire connection points (except the T- point) the wires are actually vertical as that worked better for the packaging and foil attachment, that detail may not be obvious when first looking at the picture

Building some of Danny’s speaker cables next.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2022, 12:43 am by jlucas »

nadirmg

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2022, 11:23 pm »
Stands: I’m using the Monoprice 28” stands for my NX Studios.
Equipment rack: Salamander Designs Archetype that I’ve had forever
Crossover:  All the speaker wire connection points (except the T- point) the wires are actually vertical as that worked better for the packaging and foil attachment, that detail may. Or be obvious when first looking at the picture

Building some of Danny’s speaker cables next.

Thanks! And thank you for the crossover picture. Very helpful!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2022, 12:30 am »
Always practice your finishing technique / schedule on similar material before doing it on your speakers.

A piano gloss finish is the hardest to do so practice until you like the results before touching your speakers

nadirmg

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2022, 05:23 pm »
I'm looking at how I'm going to connect all my components together
Does this look right?

1. Connect streamer to DAC with Coaxable
2. Connect DAC to Amps with RCX Cable
3. Connect Amps to to speakers with speakercable.

I have tube connectors on the NX Studios. It looks like my Kismet amps will accept banana clips right? Or do I have to stick the raw speaker wire into the holes in the binding posts?

jlucas

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2022, 09:19 pm »
If you are using the volume knob on the musical paradise, you will need to connect to the variable outputs on the bottom left.

nadirmg

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2022, 09:45 pm »
If you are using the volume knob on the musical paradise, you will need to connect to the variable outputs on the bottom left.

Thanks - I don't know that I ever would have figured this out on my own. Ultra newbie right here....  :duh:

nadirmg

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2022, 12:11 am »
Question on wiring. I bunged up the long white wire (-IN Wi) where you cut a section of the coating off and connect it to one of the leads. When I was wrapping the lead around the jump area in the middle of the white line, the copper broke in half (probably because I was undoing and redoing the twist. It just got brittle and snapped.

Now I have two white wires when I was supposed to have one white wire with a jump in it.

Can I just solder these two ends to the lead or does this need to be one continuous, unbroken wire?

:duh:

jlucas

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2022, 12:27 am »
A picture would help yield better advice

nadirmg

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2022, 12:33 am »
Here's a photo.

jlucas

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2022, 10:56 am »
It does not have to be continuous but you want good overlap. I’m assuming the red wire is already soldered in, if so I would use a razor blade cut back the red sheathing some more to give a good place to connect the white wires too

nadirmg

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2022, 01:42 pm »
It does not have to be continuous but you want good overlap. I’m assuming the red wire is already soldered in, if so I would use a razor blade cut back the red sheathing some more to give a good place to connect the white wires too

Thanks! I haven't soldered any of the speaker wires yet - just doing a twist fit to make sure I've got it right before I pull out the solder. I can definitely peel of some more red sheathing and make this happen.

nadirmg

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2022, 02:18 pm »
I've decided I'm going to just paint these speakers and not deal with veneer. Pearly white.

Is the water-based BIN primer safe to use on this MDF or should I get something oil-basd, like shellac?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jan 2022, 03:14 pm »
I would start with an alcohol/solvent base first. I've had great luck with dewaxed shellac, (Zinner Seal Coat) it dries quickly and won't cause swelling like a water based primer.

Standard shellac isnt a good idea, as the wax may prevent any further layers from adhering properly.