DIY amp in DIY speaker?

Edgar77

DIY amp in DIY speaker?
« on: 13 Jan 2021, 06:07 am »
There are some high quality DIY amps out there. It seems the most expensive part of the finished amps are nice enclosures, high quality connectors, etc.
Here is a good example with Neurochrome amps
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171798.0

Now if we build speaker cabinets from scratch wouldn't it be a good idea to build that speaker enclosure just a little bigger and put an amp into that cabinet?
It would save cost and it would make sure the cable from the amp to the speaker is short.

I understand from Danny that he is not a fan of active speakers with each driver having a separate amp because of the technical difficulties. And that is not what I have in mind. "My" idea is just putting the power amp electronics into the same enclosure with the speakers and then use a passive crossover like now.
I know it's important to have the correct volume for the drivers. The extra space for the amps should be separated. I.e. imagine the NX-Studio a little higher with an amp in the bottom.

What are your thoughts about this?

In the moment this is theory for me. I want to build some speakers and I want to build some amps. And now I think about the best way to do that.

WC

Re: DIY amp in DIY speaker?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2021, 02:57 pm »
I am planning to build them into the speaker stands instead of the speakers so I can provide some vibration isolation between the amp box and the speaker and change out the amp in the future if necessary.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2021, 03:03 pm »
It's a good idea. It's a lifestyle choice -- it saves space and some money and doesn't generate heat. Some of these Class-D amps are quite small and would be perfect.  Consider Class-D integrated monoblocks. That way, all you'd need is a source and a pair of long XLR cables and power cords. It won't be high end, but it'll sound pretty darn good. And WC's idea of placing them in speaker stands will help with cable management.

Edgar77

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2021, 12:21 am »
It's a good idea. It's a lifestyle choice -- it saves space and some money and doesn't generate heat. Some of these Class-D amps are quite small and would be perfect.  Consider Class-D integrated monoblocks. That way, all you'd need is a source and a pair of long XLR cables and power cords. It won't be high end, but it'll sound pretty darn good. And WC's idea of placing them in speaker stands will help with cable management.

Thanks.
With Class-D amps it won't generate much heat. With Class-AB it will create possibly a lot of heat. Personally I am skeptical about Class-D.
And if it's high class will obviously depend a lot on the amp.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2021, 05:21 pm »
I have a Pass F5 kit I built powering DIY speakers. I would seriously doubt there is any advantage mounting an amp in the speaker themselves except space. A few feet of speaker cable can't degrade the sound that much. The disadvantages of, vibration into the amp could cause harmonic problems with the components and possible failure of the solder joints should be considered. Plus, in my situation the F5 is a class A amp and puts out TONS of heat. Not something I would want in/around my speakers. Just minimize speaker cable length and use good quality cables. Danny apparently has come up with what appears to be a good, economical design for those.

AKLegal

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2021, 06:40 pm »
I have a Pass F5 kit I built powering DIY speakers. I would seriously doubt there is any advantage mounting an amp in the speaker themselves except space. A few feet of speaker cable can't degrade the sound that much. The disadvantages of, vibration into the amp could cause harmonic problems with the components and possible failure of the solder joints should be considered. Plus, in my situation the F5 is a class A amp and puts out TONS of heat. Not something I would want in/around my speakers. Just minimize speaker cable length and use good quality cables. Danny apparently has come up with what appears to be a good, economical design for those.

+1

Better to use monoblocks and place them right next to your speakers if you want really short speaker cable runs. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2021, 08:36 pm »
What happens if you decide you want to change amps in the future?

RonP

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2021, 09:39 pm »
It might be interesting to have like a generic space on sliding rails. Like computer racks. You can pull out one "modular" DIY AMP and connect another. hmmmm

Edgar77

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2021, 10:34 pm »
Thanks for all your replies.

I didn't think about the vibrations and I agree lots of vibrations won't be good for the amp for multiple reasons.

And I also didn't think enough about the generated heat, at least for anything but Class-D amplifiers.
That heat needs (possibly big) heatsinks and that makes the integration into the speaker enclosure already a challenge.

I think that settles it for me. My amps will be separate from the speakers.