2 or 4 speakers?

jeffh

2 or 4 speakers?
« on: 21 Apr 2012, 03:13 pm »
I'll start the discussions.

When setting up the system in my truck, the first thing I did was disconnect the rear speakers.  I think it sounds much better with just the two point sources (woofer & tweeter in each door) in the front. Agree or disagree? What do you do to get the best imaging/soundstage?

mcgsxr

Re: 2 or 4 speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2012, 04:18 pm »
In any cars I have done audio in, I have always dropped the rear fill.  I know some like it, but I figure invest in the main speakers. 

medium jim

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2012, 05:20 pm »
Rear fill speakers help in many ways, one being to help integrate the subwoofer.  There are many decent two and three way speakers under $200.00 that work well ax rear door or rear compartment fills.

Trucks without a rear cab don't necessarily need four speakers and the idea of a pair of two way component speakers in the front makes more sense.

Jim

AUDFILE74

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2012, 12:23 am »
in reality if you upgrade , adding only front stage speakers and subs  and then focus on the phase relationship between the subs and the front speakers, you will get better results

medium jim

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2012, 03:24 pm »
I'm split on this one, as it only costs say a couple hundred to get a nice set of rear fill's that to my ears helps the integration, especially in the mid bass.  But at the same time, one shouldn't short cut the main speakers that are by all accounts important to getting a true high-end system. 

Get the best front speakers and sub set up you can afford and you can later add the rear fills.

Jim

EthanH

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2012, 03:46 pm »
I never thought rear fill was necessary, although I suppose it could depend on the vehicle.  The best systems I ever had used tweeter + midrange + midbass for the front stage.