cables for RWA sig 30 / omega super 3 combo

yertletheturtle

cables for RWA sig 30 / omega super 3 combo
« on: 15 Jan 2007, 05:02 am »
Hi all
I am currently playing around with a Clari-T and a RWA modded TEAC and I am expecting the arrival of a sig 30 and a pair of super 3's.  I am wondering what speaker cables you are all using with similar combinations. 

I have used DhLabs and audioquest in the past and have been using solid core copper Gallo cable in recent years.  I had great results with JPS Labs superconductors in the past but before investing in these again I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the Audiopath cables from Hudson Audio or DNM Reson with this combo.

Thanks

Louis O

Re: cables for RWA sig 30 / omega super 3 combo
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2007, 01:21 am »
Hi yertletheturtle,

The best I've heard are the Audipath Omega R cables and the DNM is great too. The DNM speaker cable unterminated is a great value.

Thanks again,
Louis

kbuzz3

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2007, 02:28 am »
i  like the audiopath and the gregg straley reality cables with that combination....just my 2 cents..

ZLS

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2007, 04:32 am »
    I second what kbuzz3 said. 

yertletheturtle

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2007, 06:36 am »
Thanks folks.  I am reading good stuff about the straleys which have been compared in price and performance to the audio art cables which are DhLabs engineered.  I am tempted to go with the audiopath just because Louis uses them even though I did not see as much discussion about the audiopath cables. 

I am glad that someone has tried the straleys in this combination as I was not a fan of the DhLabs BL-1 sound in an old system and was thus not prone to go the audio art route.  My favorite cables were JPSLabs in the past, from my long-gone last attempt at Hifi sound (Jolida CDP>JPS superconductor+>Morrison ELAD pre>JPS superconductor>pass aleph 3> JPS superconductor>GMA Europa) and these were noticably superior in most ways to any $100-200 pair that I had tried. 

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2007, 04:29 pm »
I use the R cable and both Tommy and I designed it. I haven't heard a better speaker cable with the speakers yet.

Thanks again,
Louis

yertletheturtle

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2007, 04:59 am »
the R cable it is then!!
thanks
Dimitri

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2007, 09:38 pm »
Hi Dimitri,

Thanks and they are on the way.

Talk to you soon,
Louis

yertletheturtle

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2007, 02:55 am »
My system is finding a home in my bedroom (the only place where there was any hope of possibly setting it up right).  I know its not ideal but its a work in progress and break-in is painfully (it turns out I enjoy pain) slow.  i have added pics to my gallery but will add here too once i figure out how.
thanks everyone for the suggestions......thanks again Vinnie and Louis. 

??

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2007, 04:04 am »
Hi yertletheturtle,

Right-click on the image in your gallery, select "properties," and then copy the URL address.

Then click "insert image" above and paste the URL in between img and /img.

Looks really good, and thanks for sharing!  :thumb:

Vinnie

yertletheturtle

« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2007, 05:40 am »
Now that you've seen the room, can anyone suggest any room treatments that would not be too obtrusive?   maybe i'll add some additional pics.
thanks for the tip Vinnie!!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2007, 05:59 am »
Take a look here.......they would work on your room. :thumb:

By the way....nice system....I'm running close to the same....enjoyable. 8)

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2007, 07:40 am »
How about heavy full length curtains to cover the windows and the wall/TV when you are listening to music? :)

Raj

yertletheturtle

« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2007, 07:40 am »
Take a look here.......they would work on your room. :thumb:

By the way....nice system....I'm running close to the same....enjoyable. 8)
Thanks LonewolfeNY42.  The paradisea was based on your recommendation in response to my RWA TEAC question.  so far so good.  using WE tube helped smooth out some grain I was hearing initially.  I have a Tungsol waiting in the wings based on your rec also!!  I am very interested in the room treatment idea but know othing about it.  what about these ?http://www.goldensound.com/productlist/acoustic-discs.  i dont think I could (I know I couldnt) sell the notion of big room treatments to my wife.  the eigth nerve stuff is nice and fairly compact but i doubt that she will go for that either.  does the matress help or hurt? would heavier curtains help?    I think you can make out all 4 walls. there are cabinets that we put in to maximize our usablle storage space which actually interfere with any corner treatments.  also the bed has 8" tall open space on either side which extends 18" deep....does that trap sound?  I am really baffled how to improve room acoustics in such a tight space.  Thanks!!
Dimitri

yertletheturtle

« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2007, 07:41 am »
How about heavy full length curtains to cover the windows and the wall/TV when you are listening to music? :)

Raj

I like that idea!!  the TV will either go alltogether or come down lower.  it was placed high to clear the shelves i had installed for the electronics but ended up taking down this morning because of the heft of the amp.  you can see a litle pile of screws next to the speaker close-up from the dismantling.  the troubleshooting session following a stupid reconnection mistake wasted a good hour and a couple of emails to Vinnie (thanks again) and had me digging in boxes for cables ......and now I have to repaint that part of the wall where the shelves were...... :duh: 
thanks
Dimitri
« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2007, 07:54 am by yertletheturtle »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 4 Mar 2007, 07:50 am »
Dimitri....I don't think to much of those disc's - sorry.....but go for the four corner treatments by 8th. Nerve....and nice flowers for your wife.
Corners will help....and their not real big.
Heavy drapes....good idea....that will help as well.
Play with the tubes....chose which ever you prefer....and have fun.
And the 30 is way better than the RW Teac.....nice job Vinnie.

Enjoy....and keep us posted on how it all comes together....thanks !! :D

Chris

yertletheturtle

« Reply #16 on: 4 Mar 2007, 08:05 am »
seeing as we're getting off Omega topic i started a thread on the room treatment in the eighth nerve circle.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=37931.new#new
thanks
Dimitri

Louis O

« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2007, 11:58 pm »
Hi yertletheturtle,

My pleasure and thanks for posting the pics they look great and so happy the system is sounding great.

Thanks again,
Louis

yertletheturtle

Bass arrived today!!
« Reply #18 on: 26 Mar 2007, 04:51 pm »
After the initial 50-60 hours (low-moderate volume) I lost track of my burn-in time on my super 3s.   As per Louis's suggestion I turned up the volume and covered the speakers with blankets during the day. I think on average they got 4 hours a day though because the baby sitter would turn them off regularly after i left the house and after 3-4 pm i cannot play loud at all.  in general,  i cannot play too loud in my setting because of neighbors. For the past few weeks I was continuing to get some shriekish highs and a lot of glare, and NO bass.  in my disbelief that this could all be the speakers i tried changing out the cables, interconnects, amp......  I have no idea how much "loud" playing time is on them now, but, I am happy to report that the glare has mostly gone.  this has been a gradual process.  Also,  the bass came in today.  i had replaced the display in my system and wanted to make sure the appleTV was working...so i powered up the signature 30 and paradisea dac, turned the volume up, selected my playlist from the display......"did o leave the sub on??" (i usually have it off because of the neighbors).  low and behold, the sub was off!!  A dramatic change over what i heard last time i had listened.  I am not talking about earth-shaking bass but these little drivers may have enough to satisfy without the sub in my small room.......I'll keep you posted. 

Louis O

« Reply #19 on: 7 Apr 2007, 10:17 pm »
Hi Dimitri,

I'm so happy you posted about the break in and how the speakers came in all of a sudden. With the Super 3 hemps this is exactly how it breaks in. It happened here more than once and the difference is night and day.

Thanks again,
Louis