Omega Superhemps + EL84 amp= Heaven!

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
Omega Superhemps + EL84 amp= Heaven!
« on: 2 Sep 2006, 12:02 pm »
Calling all Omega-heads!

I just finished rebuilding an Eico HF-86--14 watts of EL-84 push-pull power. I knew from a short stint with a Manley Mahi how good the Super hemps sound with this tube, but I just wanted to pass along to anyone who might be looking for a tube amp to mate with Omega's, this may be the ticket.

There are lots of EL84 amps out there and most sound wonderful, but I think the key here is the 14 output watts. 45s and 2A3s sounded wonderful with certain music and at lower volumes but never could quite drive them to my total satisfaction (YMMV).

My 300B amps (sadly broken by a certain shipping company) sound better in many ways, but the Eico is a solid "contenda" for the crown of "everyday all-rounder" and costs WAY less. So think Manley Mahi or Stingray, maybe even Leben if you've got the dough, but a vintage amp or the new Dynakit amp might make a really nice inexpensive way to go.

Cheers!
gb :thumb:

ZLS

Re: Omega Superhemps + EL84 amp= Heaven!
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2006, 12:32 pm »
Hello,

I have the Omega Revolutions (Floor Standing B200 Driver.)  I also have a Heath 151 rebuilt by Sam's Audio Lab.  This is an EL84 integrated amp running 7 watts in pure triode.  It's not heaven, but it is close.  Just as the RWA amps sound terrific with the Omega's so does EL84's.  Each amp sounds different, but great all the same.  I would try to determine which amp is more accurate, but I am to busy enjoying the music.  The differences between amps, as far as I am concerned is what makes the hobby fun. 

EL 84's Rule!

Dmason

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2006, 01:05 pm »
thanks, Gary

I have never heard an EL84 amp that didnt sound wonderful!! Every one of them in their own way was just incredibly musical. I recently talked a member into a mint condition Magnavox single ended job from a console circa 1960 -- eBay special. Class A, single ended, tube rectified jewel for a hundred bucks, all the way to the Mahi's, they ALL sound great. As another confirmed hemp-head, I must try this tube for myself. Maybe the added juice of push pull is the tonic. Great to hear, and I know Louis is loving his Dynakit 84... :green:

A restful Labor Day weekend to all Omega men.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2006, 01:26 pm »
Well.... I wonder how my recently purchased Omega Super Bipoles' w/fostex drivers would sound with an EL84 push/pull amp? Actually I have had one eye open for an inexpensive SET amp but perhaps this would be an alternative.

Raja

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2006, 04:00 pm »
I have to agree with the EL84 synergy.  I have the A8s instead of the hemps, but 14wpc works out great for me.

I have a modded 222c and a 299a and they both swing pretty well.  Plenty of sound for my 24x15x9 room.  The price was right on both of them and I really like the idea of using vintage gear.

I pulled out a bunch of 30-40 year old jazz vinyl last night and had a great listening session.....

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2006, 04:03 pm »
 Hello gbeard,
 I have to agree with you on this one. I had always felt that EL84 amps sounded very good with the Omega speakers. I did not get a chance to hear the MAHI monos with them as I just received the Manley line.
 Sounds like you have a nice setup there with your rebuilt vintage Eico. Did you upgrade the amp or refurbish to original specs?

Congrats and happy listening!

Dmason

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2006, 07:59 pm »
I would think a properly treated Eico would be hard to beat at any price. Pilot, Maggie, Fisher, Zenith, these all have really fine circuits, and the Maggies are just unbelievable. A nasty looking console pull is about the only amp I ever really regret unloading.

EL84 for the Hemps it is!! Louis, weigh in on your Dyna/Hemp adventure.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2006, 08:32 pm »
I have to agree with the EL84 synergy.  I have the A8s instead of the hemps, but 14wpc works out great for me.
Using 20 watts here with the A8's....sounds nice !! Different tube ....KR Audio 842VHD.....KR Audio  Antares VA320 amp....I do wonder how they compare to the EL84's...(which were excellent in Vox guitar amps... :guitar:).

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2006, 09:18 pm »
Ahhh, the sound of many happy people with their EL84 amps, and b200's.

Bodes well for my most recent eBay activity!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&item=170020494714&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2006, 09:31 pm »
Good luck with the new addition Mark....another piece for the bunker.......nice !! :thumb:

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2006, 03:20 am »
Response audio quote:
I have to agree with you on this one. I had always felt that EL84 amps sounded very good with the Omega speakers. I did not get a chance to hear the MAHI monos with them as I just received the Manley line.
 Sounds like you have a nice setup there with your rebuilt vintage Eico. Did you upgrade the amp or refurbish to original specs?

Hi Bill,

The Manley stuff is killer and you will like the combo when you hear it.

My Eico rebuild is a bit of both. I replaced the RCAs, the power cord, and I may eventually replace the screw terms with binding posts. Jim McShane outfitted me with a complete set replacement caps and resistors. Most of the resistors are Carbon comp so they maintain that vintage sound. Some of the values were changed to allow for use of current EL84s. The whole kit was really inexpensive and was not a bunch of boutique parts, just good solid quality stuff. I had never done this rebuild gig before. It was fun and the results are terrific. Now I just need to get my 300Bs amps replaced and I'll be in hog heaven.

Cheers,
Gary

Songforyou

« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2006, 04:22 pm »
I've been on this bandwagon for a couple years now and have no desire to get off.  My Scott 222C and my Super 3Rs are a killer combo.

Congrats to Mark for the ebay purchase.  I'm looking forward to hearing how the little EL84 amp fairs with the B200s.

Cheers!

Louis O

« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2006, 08:29 pm »
Many thanks for the great posts and I'm in on the el-84s 100%.

I really like the new Dynakit and all the vintage amps too. I hope to get more soon too. The synergy with the hemp's is magic. Hope to hear the Manley's very soon.

Thanska gain,
Louis

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #13 on: 4 Sep 2006, 12:18 am »
Has anybody used a Scott LK48 integrated amp with Omegas? I have a chance to get one cheap locally but it looks a little worn and will need some restoration and upgrades. This integrated amp does not use EL84 tubes but has small tubes.
There also is a Scott 272 lab amp which uses the larger tubes. It has huge transformers. In addition there  is a Scott LT110 receiver available.

Raja

Dmason

« Reply #14 on: 4 Sep 2006, 01:53 am »
IMHO, anyone who feels the need to spend large dollars on high dog EL84 amps doesn't get it: these circuits are great no matter what, and it is all about the El84 small envelope tube, which to me is the reason to NOT spend a ton of dough.. The HH Scott 222 is the perfect example. Or the Maggie console amps, Anyone whom has heard a properly restored, tweaked Maggie, or Fisher, Pilot, Scott, knows what I am talking about. They "get it." ...Take Mark's new jewel for example: Class A, tube rectified, single ended, right there, it is streets ahead of most amplifiers regardless of topology. The Maggie Pushpull circuit is equally unbelievable, just the kind of sound to make you lie there and drool all over your collar typ-o thing.

I cannot wait to get a nice vintage EL84 amp going. Maybe a Pilot with that iron-rich environment. Add hemp. So cool when you get into discovering these synergistic combinations.