Louis, please more xrs"hemp" info

legalalien

« on: 7 Jun 2006, 02:51 am »
Louis, you have whetted my appetite with the hemp xrs. I had been considering the A8's but I would much prefer a floorstander. Which speaker has more bass, dynamics, etc...  also how about transparency, tone and anything else that might describe the differences/similarities of these two speakers, thanks in advance!

ZLS

« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2006, 11:51 am »
Hello,

I would suggest you ask Louis about a flloor standing A8.  It exists.  

ZLS

Dmason

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2006, 04:04 pm »
If the SuperHemp monitor is any indication, Louis' alignment for a Hemp floorstander of increased V will be out of the ballpark. Seriously so. The Hemp OEM FR8 is one amazing driver, and it LOVES Big. It even sounds BIG. Close your eyes when using tubes, and it sounds big, like Altec 604 big. With that BIG, warm, yet resolving tone I only ever heard before with Altec or Urei studio monitor$.  Forget all the hitherto written concerns about fullrange this and that, strident, bass-shy, ...old farts listening to arias using weird little tube amps, while smoking their pipes. I listen to a very, very wide variety of music, and the Hemp 8/SuperHemp load does astonishingly well. It is still, STILL improving, getting better and better, and can absolutely ROCK when called upon to do so. I should mention however that I do own weird little tube amps and smoke a pipe.

It is picky about sources, a good source is required to get the most out of it, I prefer the non-oversampling DAC, and half inch mastering cassette deck, but with respect to amplification, it works well in my experience with everything from 2 watt SET to 250 A/AB boat anchors, and sounds outrageous with the Clari-T. So much so, I have all but decided to "upgrade" to the floorstander, once it is ready, and after my Red Wine Audio Signature 30 arrives. Being visually oriented, I figure all I need is eye candy to tip the ball on that one. This is pretty much "destination sound," as far as I am concerned.

The Omega SuperHemp is one of the most musical, sweet, coherent speakers I have ever heard. Heard plenty, owned plenty, designed and built plenty more. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

legalalien

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2006, 09:13 pm »
Thanks for the input, the hemp I'm refering to is the new 4.5" that looks like it drops right into the new xrs floorstander that I read about on the Redwine forum from the last show you guys were at. Also, Louis I have seen a couple of other single driver speakers (the hornshoppe horn and the clone called the atelier 1st horn) that use the fostex 4.5" driver that has a stainless steel driver ring that I think really gives the speaker a more distinctive "finished" look. Is this part of the speaker or a seperate item that could be added to any driver? Does it somehow enhance the performance? Atelier shows it as a seperate feature that I feel would make your already fantastic looking speakers look even better. If it's true that a floorstanding A8 exists,  are there any pics you could post or is it a special order type thing.   Thanks!

texendo

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2006, 01:37 pm »
Dmason,

I've recently been perusing your OB Darkstar thread and am thoroughly intrigued.  I find it interesting to note that you also are a big fan of the Hemptone 8's.  Since you seem to have extended experience with both, would you mind sometime comparing the merits of each with one another?  Do you have two systems?  Do you listen to both equally as often?  These two speaker systems are at the top of my interesting speaker list right now (along with maybe the Bastani kit).  I currently have the Omega Super 3 v2's and love them, but will likely upgrade to something larger in the next year or so.  Thanks!

Jason

Dmason

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2006, 04:19 pm »
I do have a few systems, a few pairs in the living room, and a system in the garage as well, which doubles as a workshop and "studio."

What I love about the HempTones is the way they enhance the liquidity of single ended triode amps, and have mine powered by a Korneff 45 using EML45's and biased for about 4.5 watts. This combination is about as good as I care about home audio getting. The hemp cone 8 was designed for a bass reflex type load of  good volume, 88L, and bigger is better. They are two of the sweetest cabinet speakers I personally have ever heard.

The B200. -- Designed for large sealed 90L boxes and also for open baffle, with its high Qts=.75. The neat thing here is that the critical midband of the hemp and the B200 is almost identical. Thank gawd, because I LOVE the tone. This is all about TONE TONE TONE.

In the living room I have two B200 on open baffle right now, and I prefer the sound of the OB method with this driver powered by the Red Wine ClariT, but could use more power, and so the Signature 30 is coming. This will provide Uber dynamics and the clean clean, almost otherworldy...clarity typical of Vinnie's amps. The double B200, while many could show mathematical models why it will not work, does, and very very well. Sorry to the theorists here. The hologram is only enhanced this way. And so it would like abit more power. The dynamics are not unlike large theatre horns, and the lower driver fleshes out the lower register, yet does not have the reach of the SuperHemp, which easily demonstrates ~35Hz, -5db or so. Plenty of grunt in those speakers. The SuperHemps are in the back room carefully set up for nearfield listening, and I spend alot of down time in there, listening to well recorded music. These are the sort of "critical" listening speakers for me. I like the Broun Soun as much as everyone else does.... The B200 LiteStar set up is in the main room and is played usually abit louder and fills the room and the house with music in true dipole fashion. Both set ups can rock when called upon to do so, and I can easily sink 200 watts into two B200, they are very chunky machines. The Hemps get loud with three watts.

If I were relegated to my smaller back room, SuperHemps fo shoo. These are total keepers and are still improving, several months later. Some of the very best monitors I have ever heard with good tubes. The B200 LiteStar is DIY and the filter recipe is my own. Hope this stream of consciousness rap helps abit.

texendo

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2006, 06:30 pm »
Exactly the kind of thoughts I was seeking.  Thank you.

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2006, 11:33 pm »
Hi legalalien,

Many thanks for your post.

The 4.5” hemps are going into another phase in regards to baskets. In short they are getting redone. The old one was good, but could be better. The good news is that the sound is great and this won’t change. They have more of a fuller bass and the hemp tone in the mids. I do have to say that I also really like the Fostex driver and will be offering both. The Fostex is a little faster and has a great presence. I hope to hear more soon, but it looks like a couple of months.

Hi ZLS,

It sure does and it surprised me a bit in regards to bottom end and its ability to handle big music. I have the new piano black plinths in and they look great. Just got to get the new packaging and we’ll be all set. Dan’s so right about big box B200s.

Hi Dan,

You are the wordsmith and I wished I had the ability to convey the sound of the speakers the way you do. Many thanks for this and I appreciate it so much. I will be finishing the 3 installment of the 8” hemps in about a week and will be posting them on my fancy new website. I also had the opportunity to have a Fi integrated in the shop for a while. Man is this a great amp. I had one in here years ago and now with the new stuff it’s amazing.

The big box B200 and the Maxihemps are really special and the bass out of the B200 is amazing. Both have the ability to run with any type of music and I still don’t have a sub in the system. It’s really wild stuff.

I did a mock up of a 3-winged OB for Vinnie. I have to go up for a listen and he really likes these. So much so that I’m pricing out a finished version with out drivers. It will take a lot of veneer, but I have access to some great stuff at good prices. This will be a lot of fun to do and I will start out with Vinnie’s first. I also have a set of 8” PHYs and these need some help up top compared to the B200s. Too expensive.

I’m very happy you’re enjoying the Supers with the Korneff and we’ll talk about the Maxi

Hi texendo,

Many thanks and really good stuff is brewing right now. The website will have the newest versions soon and a whole new look as well. I may even have a turntable. This is a really fun project.

Hi legalalien,

You’re right about the hemp being a drop in for the XRSs.

There are 2 other speakers out there and the horns have been around for a while now. The upgraded driver is the same as the Canadian speaker, but different than the fostex that’s in the XRS. I don’t know how much the trim ring has to do with better sound, but it does look nice. The Fostex drivers in the XRS have the same exact baskets so it would fit. I would think that the trim ring between the cabinet and the driver would be better at improving the sound and not so much as the way it covers the driver.

The wide baffle in itself would do far more than a trim ring would ever do on a narrow baffle.

Thanks again,
Louis

legalalien

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2006, 04:13 am »
Louis, thanks for the reply, I think I may be leaning toward the A8's as it seems they might have a little more to offer in the areas of bass and dynamics that I have been craving without giving up too much in the midrange, transparency and speed aspects. I am currently running Martin-Logan Areius I speakers, here is the weird part, how is it that these speakers can do so many things right and yet on the whole be so uninvolving. I mean the mid's and treble on these things are so pure and delicate sounding it's almost unreal, on jazz, cymbals absolutely shimmer and yet after a few songs I lose interest and move on to something else, it just seems that the whole is less than the sum of it's parts. There is just no emotion! This is where I'm hoping that this single driver gig is going to change things for me. I read all these different posters talk about their systems and I feel like I am missing something and I have finally decided to take the plunge so here goes, first the A8's (after I sell the ML's, I have a buyer) then it's looking (sounding?) like Vinnie's sig 30, currently running a Panny sa-xr55, don't laugh, after a couple hundred hours and more importantly a better power cord (PS audio powerpunch) this thing sounds pretty darn good for 233 clams. Last I think the Olive music server to complete the system and replace my toshiba 3950(non Vinnie modded). O.K. guys, what can I expect, any thoughts?.... Thanks

Dmason

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2006, 05:09 am »
Emotion. Musical Satisfaction. A New Level. I guarantee it.

ZLS

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2006, 11:16 am »
:D    Hi legal alien,

I am a owner of a RWA modified Olive Musica and am awaiting delivery of the first floorstanding Omega A8's.  I did have the current A8's and loved them.  The sound you cam expect is big, rich but most of all involving  All the detail is there, but as part of the music as a whole.  Mostly the music just washes over you, and I find myself saying well just one more song, and damm does that sound good.  The sum is indeed greater than its parts.  You will love it.  

ZLS.

legalalien

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2006, 10:57 pm »
Sounds like just what I need, forgot to ask, what about speaker wire? I'm considering Mapleshade or Signalcable, or should I stick with my trusty old Audioquest type 4+ any thoughts? Also tell me more about the floorstanding A8's, how tall, are they tilted back like the xrs, etc...  thanks

ZLS

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2006, 12:06 am »
Hello,

The best person to ask these questions to is Louis of Omega.  He has not shipped the speakers yet because he is making platforms for them.  The platforms will allow you to tilt them if you so desire.  I believe the speakers are 30+ inches tall with a wide baffle.  Louis swears to me that they sound so good he loses time because he ends up listening to them.  What higher recommendation could I ask for.  
     Regarding cables I have used Audiopath cables by Tom Hills and Reality Cables by Greg Straley both to good effect.  IMHO you can obtain equal or better than Mapleshade at a substaintal savings.  
    Just be prepared for the sound to engulf you.  The concept of backround music will cease to exist.  You will be "All In"

ZLS

kbuzz3

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2006, 04:35 pm »
Quote from: ZLS
Regarding cables I have used Audiopath cables by Tom Hills and Reality Cables by Gre ...

Just want to add that I use both audiopath and reality as well. Great cables per dollar.