Question

bsuhy

Question
« on: 3 May 2006, 01:16 am »
My 2 year old must have cranked up the volume on my solid state integrated ( 60 watts a channel ) I am using while my tube quicksilvers get the once over.

I turned on the system today, and the volume was all the way up. As soon as the CD started to play I reached the knob and turned the volume all the way down.

It was probably cranked up for less than half a second or so.

I dont hear anything wrong with the A8's, so I assume they are fine.

Did I just get lucky? Is it possible for bursts like that to damage speakers in less than half a second?

Thanks

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Question
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2006, 01:21 am »
Yes it's possible, but not probable as the B200 drivers are rated well beyond 60 watts.

But understand that what fries drivers is clipped signals, not hundreds or thousands of clean power.  As an amp is pushed beyond it's limit the tops and bottoms of the otherwise smooth sine waves of power are flattened out (or clipped).  As the driver tries to follow the signal the dome/cone is forced to instanteously start and stop.  This generates lots of heat and can melt the voice coils.

bsuhy

Question
« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2006, 01:27 am »
Thanks JLM.

mcgsxr

Question
« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2006, 01:07 pm »
I have found the b200 drivers very strong, in two ways.

1 - fist resistant... 6-9 months ago, my older daughter, now only 2 1/2, walked up to one of my open baffle Visaton drivers, and gleefully pushed her fist into it, ALL the way through the travel.  No damage.

2 - volume resistant... around 5 months ago I was playing with a Panny XR55, and ran FULL volume ACDC through it (roughly 100wpc) for a portion of "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution".  No damage.

Good drivers, for young, and stupid alike!

Dmason

Question
« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2006, 03:47 pm »
Agreed on all the above points, clipped signals being The Worst enemy of a voice coil.

I actually attempted to blow up a B200 using a conservatively rated 250 watt Hafler amplifier. I am left with the strong impression that Visaton's 60 watt rating is highly conservative: folks, the B200 can output insane, immoral, ungawdly amounts of SPL, and are pretty much indestructible. These are no shrinking violets, as are many wideband drivers. In fact, I could swear that the harder you ...work this particular driver, the better they wind up sounding. Kid and goofproof as an added bonus. These manila and hemp compounds used are tough as hell.

The thing I have recently discovered is that the one thing that trumps the sonics of the B200, is TWO B200's. I now wonder what that Quattro arrangement is like.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Question
« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2006, 04:10 am »
These are no shrinking violets, as are many wideband drivers. In fact, I could swear that the harder you ...work this particular driver, the better they wind up sounding. Kid and goofproof as an added bonus. These manila and hemp compounds used are tough as hell.
I'd agree as well. I have a pair of the A8's...and they can take the volume....for a single driver speaker, and with good electronic's, their a very good deal !!!! 8)