VPI Traveler discontinued?
« on: 27 Jul 2015, 04:41 pm »
Was the VPI Traveler discontinued?
It's not on their site anymore.

brooklyn

Re: VPI Traveler discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2015, 04:53 pm »
It looks like it might have been.. For $300.00 more, I would rather
go with the Scout Jr. anyway.. It looks like a more solid turntable.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2015, 04:26 am »
Somebody mentioned to me that the second generation traveler wasn't as solid as the first.

Thoughts?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2015, 12:42 pm »
I was told the same thing by a Traveler owner.  I assume they couldn't meet the price point and maintain the quality that they wanted.  And yes, I'd spend the extra for a Scout Jr vs a Traveler, I think everybody including VPI comes to that conclusion.  Now, would you then spend the $500 extra for the Scout over the Jr?  I'm thinking yes, but what does everyone else think?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2015, 02:26 pm »
When this thread first appeared, 7/27, I looked on Audiogon and there were 3 new Travelers listed at a discount.  It's not on VPIs site anymore. 
VPI sold a lot of this model overseas, but with Nomad now as entry level and production problems with the arm, it no longer made sense (cents?)?

They have 6 production models without Traveler and 3 custom tables.  The new Avenger is now one of them. 

Now, would you then spend the $500 extra for the Scout over the Jr?  I'm thinking yes, but what does everyone else think?

Seems a far cry from entry level but $500 seems worthwhile here.  Scout has an aluminum platter and JMW arm.  It also has a steel plate under the MDF plinth.  What it doesn't have is the 300 RPM motor.  I suspect that is no longer made in the Scout pod - check with your dealer. 
http://vpiindustries.com/scout.html

I now see used Classics regularly on Agon, Audio Mart, in the $2400 range.  As long as you're spending money.....
neo

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2015, 03:33 pm »
It looks like it might have been.. For $300.00 more, I would rather
go with the Scout Jr. anyway.. It looks like a more solid turntable.

I saw a Youtube video of the owners son doing a demo, and he said that the Traveler "blows away" the Scout Jr.  I will try to post a link when I can.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2015, 04:14 pm »
Thanks Letitroll98 for the link.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2015, 12:43 am »
Link no work.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2015, 01:20 pm »
The link works for me on my iPhone.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2015, 12:29 am »
Yeah, I try to test all the links I post so I won't be embarrassed at my digital dyslexia.

I've met Matt on a couple of occasions and he's a very unassuming person, not given to hyperbole.  So I could believe him when he says the Traveler beats the Scout Jr, with the caveat that the video is appears to be a couple of years old, perhaps before the un-anounced changes to the Traveler?  And what may be an early version of the Scout Jr, I believe he said it was a Nomad base on the one in the video.  Regardless, for some reason the Jr appears to have somewhat replaced the Traveler.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2015, 11:27 am »
Yea, pretty stupid thing to say - selling against your own product.  The Jr is an upgrade vehicle for those with high end aspirations.  The others are what they are.

If you want to stay around $1500, the Marantz TT-15 might be the one?
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7273-marantz-tt-15-acrylic-turntable.aspx?source=igodigital&

neo

bacobits1

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2015, 03:59 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZDwrBk6VCo

This is the link that works here.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2015, 02:20 pm »
Yea, pretty stupid thing to say - selling against your own product.  The Jr is an upgrade vehicle for those with high end aspirations.  The others are what they are.

If you want to stay around $1500, the Marantz TT-15 might be the one?
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7273-marantz-tt-15-acrylic-turntable.aspx?source=igodigital&

neo

I always wanted that turntable since I love Marantz Reference gear.

If the Traveler is not as quality as it was, then the Scout would be a better investment (of course, you can also go with another brand of turntable)