In Wall Speakers

Wolfmayhem

In Wall Speakers
« on: 29 Feb 2024, 01:13 pm »
First time post so forgive me if this has already been discussed.  I couldn't search the forum.

I'm building a new a home and would like the best sound system that my wife will approve.  With that, I've been checking out the in wall speakers from Monolith.  Does anyone have any experience/recomendations?  They will be in an open floor plan.  Not sure if the pic below works but it's basically a kitchen, open to dining table, that then opens to the living room.  The fireplace is at the end of the long open area and the speakers or in walls would be located on each side of the fireplace.  Total length of the room is 40 feet by 20 feet wide.

Thanks in advance                                                                                                        

VinceT

Re: In Wall Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2024, 08:23 pm »
https://gr-research.com/

If you haven't already check out the GR website for products they offer

I don't think GR offers a true "In-Wall" speaker

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2024, 01:13 am »
We do not offer in-wall speakers as we do not currently have the space or setup needed to design/test them.

It essentially requires a large wall with a modular section in the middle which can be modified to fit a number of different in-wall speakers.
We simply don't have the kind of space required to house such a large test rig at this moment.

Theronbo

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2024, 07:59 pm »
https://youtu.be/ASzI-DAHDFE?si=3bH-feSPz4HdpPXE

I built the above. Both for in wall & in ceiling.

But wait! I cheated, I built 12”x12”x6” boxes… for the recommended 0.5 cubic foot volume for sealed boxes. So, these wouldn’t actually fit in a 3 1/2” stud wall.

The in ceiling… above was attic & in wall back side is attic too… since listening room is ‘Great Room’ with raised ceilings.

Pretty cheap & sound good too. About the same price as GR X-on set… built a couple of those too. GRs are better.

In wall speakers off the shelf can be dirt cheap & junk or very expensive.

I was surprised what a difference quality surrounds make… I’d thought surrounds as simply producing the ‘hint’ of sound to produce the surround effect. Yeah, I was wrong.