Are the X2 Discontinued?

kingdeezie

Are the X2 Discontinued?
« on: 25 May 2020, 01:13 pm »
I am currently enjoying my Soundlab speakers very much, but given that I use them quite frequently, I am concerned about the backplate longevity. They are only 18 months old, but I am a little OCD over something going wrong.

I had been going back and forth with the idea of moving over to the X2 at some point because its OB and passive. I liked the idea of having speakers that don't have active electronics; much less to worry about.

I saw yesterday that the X2 is out of stock. Is that temporary or are they gone for good?

I know that the X3/5 are supposed to be better with the active bass. I would rather lose some SQ in the bass for long run piece of mind.

Are there any plans for a X series passive model in the future? 

geerock

Re: Are the X2 Discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2020, 10:00 pm »
I can't say I know the answer about the x2 future, but I believe the current X3 and X5 are an improved design with the finest AMT and an improved 15 bass driver on the X3.  Add to that the ultralam baffle and DSP bass with a lower price and it's a no brainer to me.  Plate amps are notorious for longevity and passive bass really cannot compare to DSP.  And remember they run very cool, especially when they only have to take care if one driver.  Also remember that the bass amp leaves your main amp to just take care of above 90 Hertz.  Makes it easier on whatever amp you're running.  Maybe I'm just wasting my breath as if you are truly OCD about DSP than IMHO it's a DOA issue.  But I would not sacrifice better sound at a lesser price to worry about equipment failure.  Having said all this....Soundlabs make some very fine equipment and 18 months is no time at all for them.  Heres a small suggestion from an old time music lover.....forget worrying about the equipment and enjoy the music.  All the best to you.

juszat

Re: Are the X2 Discontinued?
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2020, 10:20 pm »
Hi . Iown the X2. I purchased it about 3 years ago .  This speaker in my view is excellent .  I however agree with the previous post that Clayton hit this " nail" on the head very well . The powered subwoofer whith a dsp and the various controlls makes the X series speakers a game changer . In my case i decided to keep my X2 ( which by the way have an excellent low frequency extension and control ) . Insted i jumped on the bandwagon of H-frame openbaffle subwoofer diy from GR research and a flatpack from Jay who is under captainhemo on audiocircle. Nice satisfying diy which at the end was wort every minute . The result is an open baffle system with great synergy . With that said if you want it simple i would consider the X3/5 and probably never look back . If you want the X2 i am sure Clayton would build you one if he still has the baffle available . For a smaller room it would be fine alone . A larger room and you want something like i did and never look back .