Coming: New Top of the Line VPI - - Direct Drive Table

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Kudos for Harry!!

"A large group of audiophiles from the NYC area were invited to the VPI offices on Saturday for a fun day of music, learning, food and conversation. Very nice of them.

Harry Weisfeld was excited to introduce two new products still in prototype form: the first is high-end direct drive turntable that is going to be their top product - he was particularly proud of the motor, designed for this purpose and apparently sourced from a military equipment manufacturer. In its current prototype form the turntable resembles a Classic 3. Harry was very enthusiastic about the absolute speed control that was better than any belt drive table. His words.

The second is a new composite arm-wand manufactured on-site using a $350,000 object printer. It is made of hundreds/thousands of layers of laser cured material and resembles their current arm-wands except for the black material and the complex shape changes made to further reduce vibration transmission. I listened to the combination of the new table and arm-wand for about an hour and was thrilled by the relaxing musicality produced.

I understand that these new products will be at shows soon - still in prototype form.

Surprisingly, there was a large display of classic amplifiers, reel-to-reel tape machines, turntables, tonearms and more. One that caught my eye was a mint direct drive JVC TT-101 turntable (very much like mine). It was the target/inspiration for the new table - I would love to compare the two, but that wasn't possible. Maybe at my house some day.

It was great to see that VPI is so committed to moving the state of the art forward using both the latest technologies and thinking and the best of the past."

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1364252195&&&/VPI-is-Introducing-a-high-end-Direct-Dri

orthobiz

Re: Coming: New Top of the Line VPI - - Direct Drive Table
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2013, 09:54 pm »
I was at an orthopaedic meeting this past week and saw the stuff the object printer can make regarding orthopaedic implants. It is amazing, complex honeycombed objects that would be virtually impossible to make any other way (at least to my eye...I'm not an engineer!).

I was just thinking that it would be great for making a tonearm!

Paul

TONEPUB

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2013, 09:57 pm »
Can't wait to get one in for review...

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2013, 10:47 pm »
Be interesting to see if that direct drive motor works its way down into cheaper models...

topround

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2013, 11:12 pm »
I was at that meeting.

New 3d printed tonearm made out of some plastic was a HUGE improvement over his metal arms, every aspect of audio reproduction was improved by a very large degree.

New DD turntable was very nice. I am not a fan of DD, even though I have a Technics in my stable of TT's but this DD was very musical. Motor is used in military applications and is expensive.

Also new Ceramic platter coming as well.

Lots of new goodies from VPI coming down the pike as they say, all audio improvements not just rehashes of old technology, with shiny black plinths.
VPI has alot to look foward to, and all VPI owners that use VPI arms are going to want to buy that plastic arm :thumb:

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2013, 01:14 am »
There's a picture of the arm at analog planet dot com.

Paul

BobM

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:22 pm »
I was there also and heard the arm demo, using the same cartridge (Grado Gold) on the same table - just swapped out the arm wands with no other changes. The improvements with the new arm were not subtle. Much better separation and soundstaging and clarity, with an immediately noticeable increase in dynamics. Hard to believe that changing the arm wand could make that much of an improvement. IMO, the JMW arm was always the weak spot in their products, but no longer. This is new arm a major upgrade.

Something else that was on that table but not necessarily mentioned is a new ceramic coated platter, basically the Classic platter with a ceramic coating.

As for the direct drive motor, Harry said it was uber expensive at his own cost because it is military spec. So even when it does become available on their new "premier" product it is going to push the cost into some rarefied air.

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2013, 03:07 pm »
First rim drive, now direct drive. I wonder what the true anti-direct drive folks will think of this outcome.

Harry, himself has made anti-direct drive comments in the past. Perhaps this one has some true flywheel effects that has impressed him.

Personally, I'm a fan boy of both, and it sounds right that VPI should venture into this venue. At least it makes some sense to me. Hopefully, the new machine technology will filter down to a more affordable model for the common masses. The few DD tables out there are (IMO) below average performers.

Wayner

TheChairGuy

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2013, 06:04 pm »
Cool news.....I'd buy a new (2nd) armwand if it's priced for non-billionaires, for certain :thumb:

Dunno' if I'd care for direct drive.....I'm profoundly happy enough with the way music sounds on the Classic1 now (using piano pieces).  Probably just going to the SDS would be a more cost effective route to get a step higher in playback. 

Much depends on your personal tolerance level and how good your system is.  Mine feels good enough to have a smile purse my lips every time (only when playing vinyl for whatever reason)

Anyhow, love the choices for the future VPI is giving us. 

Pre-VPI, Harry re-plinthed old JVC direct drive turntables so he's pretty aware of the typical positives and pitfalls of them so I'm sure this milspec motor is a doozy  8)

John

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2013, 09:14 pm »
This is destined to be the new TOTL, or so it's said.  Considering that an HR-X w/12.7 is something like $13K....gulp. This is gonna be a big chunk o' change. Lets see, should I get a new compact car, or that shiny new VPI?
neo

topround

« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2013, 10:04 pm »
I think the anti DD guys are right, DD really doesn't sound that great, but this is not the same DD as what most of us have based our opinions on, this one sounds good and is very different to what is in a Technics.
So it is a DD in name, but it has very little relation sonically to the other DD's.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2013, 10:56 pm »
I think the anti DD guys are right, DD really doesn't sound that great, but this is not the same DD as what most of us have based our opinions on, this one sounds good and is very different to what is in a Technics.
So it is a DD in name, but it has very little relation sonically to the other DD's.

Now you've done it, thems fightin words.  Better git in your bunker, I'm preparing to launch.
Here's some preliminary info for you.  You might want to withdraw those remarks before it's too late.
http://www.oocities.org/de/bc1a69/museum_eng.html
neo

WireNut

« Reply #13 on: 27 Mar 2013, 11:08 pm »
Holy S___t. Topround, Wayner, Neobop, TheChairguy here all at once. I got's to get my questions in order.  :bowdown:

orthobiz

« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2013, 01:37 am »
Did anybody mention the platter mat? I'm running a Classic platter bare. Might as well take a quick informal poll about who is using a VPI with a mat and who isn't.

Paul

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #15 on: 28 Mar 2013, 02:05 am »

What an ignorant comment. . .

Sonny

« Reply #16 on: 28 Mar 2013, 03:17 am »
What an ignorant comment. . .

I don't know how this comment makes topround "ignorant", isn't he stating his opinion on DD?
Is he or is he not entitled to his opinion, even if it does not conform with others?

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #17 on: 28 Mar 2013, 03:57 am »
I don't know how this comment makes topround "ignorant", isn't he stating his opinion on DD?
Is he or is he not entitled to his opinion, even if it does not conform with others?

If he was stating his opinion, he shoud have prefaced it with "....in my opinion", or "....I prefer", or something similar.  The way this is phrased, it's an unequivocal statement, which is patently false.

jawaka

« Reply #18 on: 28 Mar 2013, 07:32 am »
He started with .....I think!....

read again!

topround

« Reply #19 on: 28 Mar 2013, 10:29 am »
Just stating my opinion.
I happen to own a DD turntable and these are my sonic views on the drive.

I also own belt drives.

I have learned to be honest about what you own. I happen to not really like my DD drive TT and I own it.
And this is not about "what you like" or "personal preferences" DD has its detractors for real reasons, so don't be offended.
Harry at VPI may have come across a motor that will advance DD to a great length, an advance that was needed.

Mike