Rolling Stone - The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

JTF

Rolling Stone - The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
« on: 25 Sep 2020, 01:23 am »
Rolling Stone put out a major update to their list. Thoughts? I haven’t looked through the whole thing, but it feels more comprehensive.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-albums-of-all-time-1062063/

Woodsea

Re: Rolling Stone - The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2020, 07:46 am »
Very much Western oriented.
 Plus, I found this interesting this list and Liverpool's The British Music Experience omission of Mr. Phillip David Charles Collins.
Except for a few EU names (besides UK), very little representation of the rest of the world. 

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2020, 09:31 am »
I can only claim to have 28 albums on that list. But if you count Best Of or subsequent albums comprising most of the same songs and dvd/blu ray concerts from these Artists. Then you can at least double that number and add a few more.

I may not agree with the list but if that is what people buy or listen to then I guess that makes them the Greatest Albums. Some albums just because I have it, doesn't mean I listen to it, like 'Kick Out the Jams'. :smoke:

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2020, 02:33 pm »
I made a photocopy of the older list. I use it as a guide and I have many of them. Sometimes, those albums don't stand the test of time and many of them, I simply can't listen to such as ABBA and others such as many rap albums, etc.

The thing to remember is that those are albums that influenced the public, music industry or other musicians. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are great, musically.

Mike B.

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2020, 02:57 pm »
Take 50 sources and you will get 50 different lists.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2020, 04:35 pm »
I was curious and took a quick look. Went straight to #50 counting down to #1. A bunch of good selections in there, but....

Waaaaaay too much Rap/Hip Hop type stuff in there IMO. For the top Albums of all time? No. Just - no.

:peek:

MttBsh

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2020, 05:48 pm »
I remember about 50 years ago when Rolling Stone had something interesting to say

beeah

« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2020, 05:50 pm »
I was going to flip if Remain In Light didn't make the list - I'm pleased that it's in the top 50.