ICEBlock with Dodd Tube Buffer listening impressions

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
There are some ICEBlocks out there now and I'd like to create a thread for listening impressions.

Audio Tramp

Re: ICEBlock with Dodd Tube Buffer listening impressions
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2010, 09:46 am »
Hey Seth  :o Gary  8) , Thanks so much for all your help in upgrading my ICE Blocks to "plus buffer" configuration!!
Listening impressions dont take long for me, If I dont like it in 5 minutes I never will be really happy. I have been winding my way thru traditional Class A gear and have always had to crank the volume to get any impact. Then i discovered class T and life was good but they don't have enough power to drive BIG (sorry, less efficient) speakers, Yet. So I thought why not give ICE a go!! It had the power, lots of big names using it and "favourable" reviews. So I did the leap of faith and ordered a couple from Virtue. As soon as I turned them on I was awestruck!! They were so fast and dynamic. Dead quiet and u can almost feel the efficiency. I wasnt sure about the tube buffer upgrade Virtue were offering and a didnt want to break what I had found. Another leap of faith and two tube buffers are now installed. The amps still have all the things I liked about them plus a more forward midrange. The valve 2nd harmonic really fits with the cool ICE sound and somehow Gary has managed to keep them dead quiet!. The measure of a good system to me is one that u dont have to crank to get impact and these ICE modules have fantastic impact!! I thought it was all about the speakers but a great amp can do so much for the sound as well! Its great to just enjoy the gear and not be thinking about the next upgrade all the time ....  ;P
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2010, 06:44 pm by Audio Tramp »

tvyankee

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2010, 01:09 pm »
hello,

your stuff looks very nice and well put together. i have never heard any of your stuff but i am sure it sounds very nice since people always have good things to say about your stuff.  i  was just wondering why is the cost of your ice mono blocks almost $1000 more than Wyred4sound and D-Sonic. I see you have some kind of Dodd input tube buffer mod but it seems a little high.  thanks

gcos

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2010, 01:40 pm »
Tvyankee
The price given on the site is for a pair !! so your comment is not correct.

tvyankee

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2010, 02:11 pm »
so this one which has the same spec as the one he has is 1600 for a pair

d-sonic
MAGNUM 250M
1 X 250W / 8Ω, 20-20KHZ
7”W x 3.5”H x 12”D
Weight: 9 lbs
Price: $790

wyred4sound

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/site/74030/117839/shopping/shopping-view.html?pid=332074&b_id=&find_groupid=18046

and these are $1900 for the same spec.

so maybe not a 1000 more but a lot more.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2010, 04:41 pm »
Thanks so much for your message and for asking the questions that many of our future customers will ask! 

D-SONIC is selling the "ASP-500 module in-a-box" and Wyred is doing the same with a more modded input circuit.  Neither is selling anything with the sonic qualities of the ICEPower/Dodd tube buffer combination or the drop-dead gorgeous (and expensive) casework that we have.

Frankly, we had a choice to make as a company to offer a "me-too" ICEPower module or to do something really wonderful for our customers with a mature, "best-in-class," tube-buffer from Dodd Audio.

We chose to differentiate.

At RMAF last year Wyred had a "premier" line of some sort which featured tube-hybrid designs.  I'm not sure if and when they will launch these products but suggested pricing was MUCH higher than what we are charging.

The bottom line is that if you want something that sounds like this amp you'll need to pony up for a Dodd Audio buffer + ICEpower amp, which you can do separately or together, it's your choice.  Gary says that he made some changes to his core design to suit ICEBlock so I'm not sure if running the standard buffer outside the unit (requires an external PSU) will be as good. 

In my sometimes not humble opinion, nobody makes an ICE hybrid that sounds as good as the Virtue/Dodd ICEBlock.  We offer a 30-day audition opportunity.

« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2010, 06:18 pm by virtue »

tvyankee

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2010, 06:44 pm »
thanks for the info. it does look great as far as looks and build quality.  so if you want you can buy the amps from you without the tube mod for less money?

thanks

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2010, 09:16 pm »
After experimenting for a few months with the stock "me-too" amp, we decided to make the  tube-buffer integral.  The sonic improvement is simply amazing and we no longer offer the amp without it.

If you'd like to a stock ICEpower amp, please do consider the companies you mentioned before and I'm sure there are others as well.  Even stock, the ICEpower ASP-500 is a fine piece of equipment.

FredT300B

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2010, 02:05 pm »
Like tvyankee I was curious about price differences, so I did some basic research and posted a summary in the Lab circle to avoid hijacking this thread. Here's the link:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79486.new#new

And now I would like to hear some comments from Virtue ICEBlock amps with the Dodd Tube Buffer.  :thumb:

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2010, 02:38 pm »
Thanks, Fred.  Good stuff.  Wish Dennis our best.  Hopefully we bring some attention his way -- folks who don't want to shell out for our hybrid may buy his unit instead!

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2010, 02:50 pm »
Thanks so much for your message and for asking the questions that many of our future customers will ask! 

D-SONIC is selling the "ASP-500 module in-a-box" and Wyred is doing the same with a more modded input circuit.  Neither is selling anything with the sonic qualities of the ICEPower/Dodd tube buffer combination or the drop-dead gorgeous (and expensive) casework that we have.

Frankly, we had a choice to make as a company to offer a "me-too" ICEPower module or to do something really wonderful for our customers with a mature, "best-in-class," tube-buffer from Dodd Audio.

We chose to differentiate.

At RMAF last year Wyred had a "premier" line of some sort which featured tube-hybrid designs.  I'm not sure if and when they will launch these products but suggested pricing was MUCH higher than what we are charging.

The bottom line is that if you want something that sounds like this amp you'll need to pony up for a Dodd Audio buffer + ICEpower amp, which you can do separately or together, it's your choice.  Gary says that he made some changes to his core design to suit ICEBlock so I'm not sure if running the standard buffer outside the unit (requires an external PSU) will be as good. 

In my sometimes not humble opinion, nobody makes an ICE hybrid that sounds as good as the Virtue/Dodd ICEBlock.  We offer a 30-day audition opportunity.
Seth, first off, I think your pricing is dead on and fair!! I see on the web site that you are using Sonicaps. Which ones? What tube is being used in the tube buffer? Do you make any modifications to the ICE module?

Thanks,

Gary

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:19 pm »
Gary,

I'm glad you think so! 

It's a fact that Gary put years into developing is tube buffer topology and there is nothing performs as well on the market.  It's the kind of thing you can't buy anywhere else at any price.  Together with my "base" amp, it's a really fantatic package and folks who know the market very well consider it very fairly priced; it competes well above the price-point.

You can find Gary Dodd on these forums (GR-Research more likely) but he's not going to tell you much about the implementation ;-)  Gary is quite protective of his golden geese.
To your question... we do NOT change the core ICEpower module.  Even stock, it does enough well enough that we didn't think it was a good idea to muck it up and void the warranty.

Seth

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:41 pm »
Gary,

I'm glad you think so! 

It's a fact that Gary put years into developing is tube buffer topology and there is nothing performs as well on the market.  It's the kind of thing you can't buy anywhere else at any price.  Together with my "base" amp, it's a really fantatic package and folks who know the market very well consider it very fairly priced; it competes well above the price-point.

You can find Gary Dodd on these forums (GR-Research more likely) but he's not going to tell you much about the implementation ;-)  Gary is quite protective of his golden geese.
To your question... we do NOT change the core ICEpower module.  Even stock, it does enough well enough that we didn't think it was a good idea to muck it up and void the warranty.

Seth
Based on Gary's tube buffer, is the tube used in your amp the 6DJ8? or the 6N1P? Thanks

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:49 pm »
The setup allows rolling of these tubes (and maybe more).  We settled on the JJ 12ax7 which sounds awesome for the money.  Here are some that Gary has tried with success:

12ax7
ecc83
cv4004
e83cc
ecc803
ecc81
12at7
e81cc
ecc801
cv4003
ecc82
12au7 5814
e82cc
ecc802
12ay7
12az7

megaconard

« Reply #14 on: 1 Apr 2010, 01:54 pm »
I brought the Iceblock about two months ago and was looking for far more expensive equipment but at that price I tought I'll give it a chance. First let me tell you that I always been in class 'A' or tube amps, work in the audio field (for manufacturer, retaillers and reviewer). I was very impressed with the Iceblocks. They look very good, energy efficient and very clean sound. I've tried tube rolling and the best match are probably the cheapest (the JJ that comes with it) as they give more warmth. Expect class D sound: great detail and extension, better soundstage that aother class D I've heard but with just a touch of soul, not totaly tube amp territory but can control speakers far more easily and you don't get the nasty vibes for class AB. I' tried a lot of mods yet and I would say that the only worthwhile are the Hifi Tuning fuses but I will try the Stillcloth this weekend. Very nice guys to deal with (the Virtue team). So it goes well in my system (worth 35K), punch above their price point (probably as they sell direct). If I have a reservation, try not to have an analitical system or go with warmer cables to match with these amps.

K

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #15 on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:33 pm »
I brought the Iceblock about two months ago and was looking for far more expensive equipment but at that price I tought I'll give it a chance. First let me tell you that I always been in class 'A' or tube amps, work in the audio field (for manufacturer, retaillers and reviewer). I was very impressed with the Iceblocks. They look very good, energy efficient and very clean sound. I've tried tube rolling and the best match are probably the cheapest (the JJ that comes with it) as they give more warmth. Expect class D sound: great detail and extension, better soundstage that aother class D I've heard but with just a touch of soul, not totaly tube amp territory but can control speakers far more easily and you don't get the nasty vibes for class AB. I' tried a lot of mods yet and I would say that the only worthwhile are the Hifi Tuning fuses but I will try the Stillcloth this weekend. Very nice guys to deal with (the Virtue team). So it goes well in my system (worth 35K), punch above their price point (probably as they sell direct). If I have a reservation, try not to have an analitical system or go with warmer cables to match with these amps.

K

What's the other equipment is in your system?

accabei

« Reply #16 on: 11 Apr 2010, 10:18 am »
Hallo,
I would like to make my little contribution to this tread!
I'm writing from Italy - so please be patient with my bad english...

First I have to say thanks (again) to Seth to give me the chance to upgrade
my ICEblocks to current version.

Then some history: I've started my adventure in hi-fi world with a tripath based equipment (Kingrex preamp + Kingrex t20u + Oppo dv983h + Klipsch rf-52 + Chord cables) & after circa two years ago of intensive listening, I've decided to upgrade my system... and it was then that I've met Seth!

I was looking for a different kind of amp, more powerful & transparent (in other words more close to class D) - Seth simply said me to try his brand new ICEblocks! In fact there are many other ASP500-module-based amps on the market, but the price of Virtue Audio's one was by far the lowest !-)
And after many mails and investigations (there are many reviews about Virtue Audio products and philosophy - also in italian language - on TNTaudio) I've decided without hesitation to put my trust in Seth!

ICEbloks immediately changed my opinion about hi-end sound! They was
simply in another league from my previous tripath amp...
After only one month I've felt the necessity to change my Klipsch speakers with an old-but-gold pair of Dynaudio Facette - and from that moment I've simply re-discovered all my music collection! (please note that Facette have some bad reputation of difficult to drive speakers - but for me they match ICEblocks perfectly!!!)
The music was so fast, so clean - without any loss of bass extension - and the quality of the details in the music path so high - I simply was amazed!

Three month later I was still enjoying my favorite music, when Seth me contact me to send me the Gary Dodd upgrade... Why not? I've thought...
To mount the new board was a funny game! Thanks also to the already modified board that Seth sent me - and to the idiot proof instructions...

But at the same time I was also interested to understand what Seth was giving to me (in fact I've bought ICEblcks looking for the transparency & the power of  class D and my fear was that the tube buffer of mr. Dodd could change that nature...)
So, for three days I've played music with the new ICEblok in the left channel and the old one in the right...
From the first moment my impression was very positive: a hint of sweetness in the high and a more pleasing rendition of the midrange are what i've noticed.
And this without any loss in the richness of sound pattern!
But one of the mayor improvements that the Gary "sauce" brings to ICEblocks is
in the soundstage rendition: with the second upgraded unit I can clearly hear the soundstage more wide - and more coherent and high in the space!

My conclusion is simple: I love the upgraded ICEblocks!
I feel that I really need a lot of time for to exploit the real character of those amps... And at the same time I'm sure that I have to upgrade all my other components before to match their real potential...!

Seth, Gary: well done!

with best regards
francesco

ps - I post some pictures of my actual system:

- Kingrex Preamp
- Virtue Audio M5001 "ICEblocks"
- Oppo DV-983H (on Vibrapod)
- Dynaudio Facette
- System and Magic Black Noise 500 (noise filter on Preamp & Oppo)
- Chord Chameleon RCA interconnection cables
 -Chord Odyssey 4 speaker cables

megaconard

« Reply #17 on: 19 Apr 2010, 02:09 pm »
What's the other equipment is in your system?

Dear Darth,
My system includes Simaudio Moon Supernova CD player, Aesthetix Calypso preamp, Virtue audio Iceblocks, Canton Vento 807 speakers, Nordost Thor conditioner, Nordost Vahalla power cord and Van den Hul Mainsstream power (4x), Nordost Norse jumpers, Virtual Dynamics Revelation & Master XLRs and lots of tweaks.

Very impressed with the amps, coherence is way better with a lot of burn-in. The sounds is just better if you let the amps always 'on' but I'm not sure if it's good in the long run.

Gary or Seth, can you answer this question? Is it safe to leave the amps 'on' all the time? Is there a protection if a tube blows?

megaconard

« Reply #18 on: 19 Apr 2010, 02:11 pm »
There are some ICEBlocks out there now and I'd like to create a thread for listening impressions.

Very impressed with the amps, coherence is way better with a lot of burn-in. The sounds is just better if you let the amps always 'on' but I'm not sure if it's good in the long run.

Gary or Seth, can you answer this question? Is it safe to leave the amps 'on' all the time? Is there a protection if a tube blows?

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #19 on: 19 Apr 2010, 03:41 pm »
I can answer that question. Yes, you can actually leave them on all of the time. The tube produces very little heat and uses so little current that the tube will probably last basically forever. I think the filament will burn out before the tube goes bad. Of course there will be some tubes that will just go out for no reason as we all know. If that were to happen it would just not play. It would have to be a catastrophic failure of some other sort to hurt it.
Gary