Eastern Electric's New Minimax phonostage - Phenomenal!

audiojerry

just wanted to drop in to make a few quick comments. Bill O'Connell sent me the EE phono to try out. I'd had a chance to hear an earlier version and was floored. When he told me that they made some significant modifications, I couldn't figure out why.

Now I understand. Before I was floored. Now I am blown away!

The Minimax preamp is a fine component, but the Minimax phono is in an entirely different league.

Review to come later - now I must get back to the music!

audiochef

Audiojerry
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2005, 07:34 am »
How much is this preamp worth?
Thanks .Stan

Tyrro

• 5th note design studio
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2005, 07:44 am »
It sells for $1499 here htttp://www.morningstaraudio.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=6

audiojerry

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2005, 01:25 pm »
Quote from: Tyrro

1499 - really? The link didn't work for me from my work place. If that's true, it's hard to believe. I would have thought it would be much more.  

Now I wish I had never listened to it!  :cry:

Anyone interested in a Lehman Black Cube?  :wink:

Carlman

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2005, 02:15 pm »
I'm one of the beta-listeners as well... and I couldn't agree more.

I have never heard a vinyl rig sound as good as my own now.... even with a 'mid-to-low-level' TT and cart.  

Expect a rave review from me as soon as I get some time.  I feel better that someone else was as 'blown away' as I was.

I compared it to the phonostage of my DK and it wasn't even close.... not even in the same ballpark.  

I am waiting on my modified Usher's to return to do the full evaluation... which probably won't be until later next week.

-C

audiojerry

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2005, 04:00 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
I'm one of the beta-listeners as well... and I couldn't agree more.

I have never heard a vinyl rig sound as good as my own now.... even with a 'mid-to-low-level' TT and cart.  

Expect a rave review from me as soon as I get some time.  I feel better that someone else was as 'blown away' as I was.

I compared it to the phonostage of my DK and it wasn't even close.... not even in the same ballpark.  

I am waiting on my modified Usher's to return to do the full evaluation... which probably won't be until later next week.

-C
Thanks Carl, I'm glad to see someone else is evaluating it besides me. It might help to fend off some of the likely skepticism. I may have mis-spelled phenomenal, so I'll just call it astounding instead.  :D

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2005, 07:54 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
Quote from: Tyrro

1499 - really? The link didn't work for me from my work place. If that's true, it's hard to believe. I would have thought it would be much more.  

Now I wish I had never listened to it!  :cry:

Anyone interested in a Lehman Black Cube?  :wink:

try deleting one of the extra t's in htttp - there should be only two. :wink:   then the link will work; try this:

http://www.morningstaraudio.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=6

doug s.

claud

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2005, 12:09 am »
Carlman,
    I guess that's why you didn't want to borrow any of my 6922s to try in the new amp. You might have felt obligated to loan me this phono stage to try. I still would love to hear it. It must be a killer. I don't know any other manufacturers whose phono pre is much more expensive than their preamp.

Carlman

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2005, 03:15 am »
Claud,
I think it would be a good idea for you to take a listen.  As to the tubes, I've been rollin, rollin, rollin... I think my amp is swollen.. ;)  :lol:

I've either bought or been sent quite a few sets to see what I like.  I'll have quite a few for sale shortly.  I'm using a set of Amperex PQ's at the moment... (purchased from Bill at Morningstar)... Those have been quite good and have been the overall best I've heard so far.

Bill at Response Audio is sending me a pair of Siemens ECC82's.  Hantra sent me a pair of Mullards to try... and well.. I can't remember what else but I've got 'em...

Right now I've got a pair of S-520 Usher's which aren't as revealing as the X-718's but are damn fine speakers.  But, I don't want to do my final comparisons on the 520's.  So, in the meantime, this would be a perfect time to audition the EE phono in your own system.  If you want to borrow it, let me know.  I don't think Bill would mind someone else enjoying this fantastic phono pre.  Plus, I'd like to hear it on a low-output MC... which is supposedly where it really shines... but I only have a high output MC...

I'm around so let me know.

-C

claud

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2005, 12:54 pm »
My cart is a HO MC too. Its a Dynavector 20XH. When do you think you will get your modded Ushers? I am also semi in the same boat as you with my main speakers at Merlin for the "magic mod". I'm using my VS VR1s from my office. I am kinda used to them now. Please PM me a phone number so I can call you. It would be worth the trip to borrow the EE for a couple of hours of warm up and listening. Have you heard Telfunken CCas in your amp yet?

cryoparts

Bonus--Bill is a Great Guy!
« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2005, 02:28 pm »
In addition to respresenting big bang for the buck products, Bill is a heck of a nice guy!

Have a great day!

Lee

audiojerry

Re: Bonus--Bill is a Great Guy!
« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2005, 04:40 pm »
Quote from: cryoparts
In addition to respresenting big bang for the buck products, Bill is a heck of a nice guy!
Lee

I second that emotion!  :P

In addition, Bill is so enthusiastic and motivated to share his discoveries with others. He sincerely wants others to experience the joy that music can ellicit  through the components that he has worked hard to bring to the market at such bargain prices.  

I believe that Bill was initially considering $3 to $3.5k for the Mini phono, which would have been entirely reasonable, considering that it probably can compete with the $8-10k phono stages from the big guys. But $1.5k is unbelievable.

It has to be an absolute Must for anyone considering a new phono stage, and anyone who is not considering one, but tries the Mini anyways, then be fore-warned that you are proceeding at your own risk!   :nono:  :lol:

claud

« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2005, 05:35 pm »
I went to Carlman's house around 8:30 this morning. I listened to his new minimalist(for him) system for the first time. Unfortunately he was using very inexpensive Usher speakers. They really sounded great. They were dirven within an inch of their little bitty lives by the monster integrated. The system sounded killer for such cheap speakers, with low volume detail and dynamics galore. I found out later that some of that was related to the EE phono.
I have been contemplating an upgrade of my Rega P25 to a P9. I found out today what I really needed was to sell my Black Cube SE and buy this  EE phono. It added all the life, emotion and dynamics I have been missing. I use either Bob Crump TG Audio wires or Luminous Synchestra Sigs in my system. Bob's wires are about venue, ie. hear the room. I can really hear the room the LP was recorded in now. I don't have to listen closely for it anymore. The new Classic Records "Mirrorball" sounded lifeless next to the DVD on my HT system. Not with the EE phono. It now has life, emotion and you can hear the concert hall, but balanced, not overdone like the DVD.
I guess the guys in this thread are sounding like a broken record, "anyone want a Black Cube SE at a reasonable price?"

Carlman

« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2005, 06:10 pm »
I'm glad you like it, Claud.  I'm always a little worried when I'm excited about a product and rave about it.  Sometimes that leads to a bit of a letdown...... But in this case, I've honestly never heard better and am glad you like it. :)

I look forward to having you stop by again to listen to the upgraded Usher 718's... The 520's you heard are a helluva bargain at 3 or 400... can't remember exactly.  

Just a quick plug for Shane... he's really helped me out by supplying me with with 'loaner' speakers while my 718's are being modified.  He's been a super guy to deal with as you've found as well.

As to Bill O'Connell, I couldn't agree more with Cryo and AJ.  I'm glad he and I have become friends.  I get to sample the new stuff which is always a delight. ;)  This phono pre is TRULY world-class.  

I should have his new M520 integrated early next week and I'll be getting the modified 718's from Response Audio by the end of the week.  I'n not sure how long I get to keep it but I'd be happy to host or participate in a get-together if anyone wants to hear the amp or the phono pre.  Unfortunately I'm only free on April 3rd.  I'll make a separate post for that in the NC Circle.

Thanks,
Carl

claud

« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2005, 12:09 am »
Well, I bought the demo today. That's how bad I didn't want to send it back to Carlman.Joke!! I did actually have it boxed up and ready to return. When I talked with Bill when paying today, he had two good rectifiers, TungSol and Haltron. I bought one of each. He mentioned that he had sent one of the phono pres to Bill Cowan, who is listed as a reviewer on 6 Moons. I have been a Email friend of Cowan's for three years, swapping tubes etc. I will try to pick his brain as to good tube combos. Check out his tube storage at 6 Moons.

claud

« Reply #15 on: 23 Mar 2005, 11:14 pm »
Started tube rolling tonight. Got the two rectifiers today. I installed the Tung Sol D getter. I had a pair of Mullard 4004s that were unused since I have no 12AX7 equipment, so I put them in the buffer sockets. I have a balanced 4004 comming.

claud

« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2005, 03:53 pm »
Tubes still on the way:
   From Upscale,    one Platinum matched Mullard CV4004 to use as the amp tube with the two buffer 4004s I installed last night. Three Bugle Boy 12AX7s labeled Pope, and one Genalex 6X4 rectifier.
    From KCA NOS Tubes,    one windmill getter Raytheon 5751 and one Sylvania triple mica 5751, both with balanced triodes to try as amp tubes. Three of the new Groove Tube Mullard clone 12AX7s, three NOS Raytheon 12AX7s, and three NOS Mazda ECC83s. All triple tube sets have one amp tube with balanced triode sections and a matched pair for the buffer sockets.

My friend , Bill Cowan told me in an Email that he might sell or loan me a set of Telfunkens. He has done this before.

The addition of the 4004s to the buffer sockets and the TungSol 6X4 gave me more bass, and gave a more balanced presentation. With stock tubes, singer is out front. Now she is back with the band.

audiojerry

« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2005, 07:36 pm »
The addition of the 4004s to the buffer sockets and the TungSol 6X4 gave me more bass, and gave a more balanced presentation.

I agree. The TungSol really sings!

audiojerry

« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2005, 04:06 am »
Posted my review in the Critics Circle, but Carlman beat me to the punch!
 :cry:

claud

« Reply #19 on: 1 Apr 2005, 11:40 pm »
You could have knocked my ass over with a feather. In my system(may not sound the same in yours) the Groove Tube 12AX7-M is better in the Minimax phono pre than the Mullard CV 4004 or the 1959 Bugle Boys (branded Pope) from Upscale. They have more depth to the soundstage, venue info, and sound better balanced. They move the Minimax way up in class. I also think they have more bass.
Dumb ass that I am, I ordered a set of smooth plate Tels two days ago before trying the GTs. I will not do that again, ie. buy/roll NOS before trying the current hot favorites.