Trends Audio UD-10, wow! PC Convert

bullethead

Trends Audio UD-10, wow! PC Convert
« on: 22 Jul 2007, 03:00 pm »
I recently purchased a Trends Audio UD-10 USB -> Digital output converter to use as a transport with a Linux based OS on a laptop.  Wow, this setup beats my Musical Fidelity A3 which connects to a Bel Canto DAC2 hands down.  I have been using a power supply which was for the Squeezebox I was using with it. 

I stay mostly with FLAC archives streaming from a NAS server I have and I am completely now a convert to PC Audio.

I was thinking about getting another CD Player/Transport to replace the MF but now I don't think I'll ever use it again.

audio-heaven

Re: Trends Audio UD-10, wow! PC Convert
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2007, 06:47 pm »
I heard one of these recently and was most impressed, so impressed in fact I bought one today :D

IronLion

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2007, 06:50 pm »
Hey Bullethead, is the Squeezebox powersupply youre using with the UD-10 a custom one or the stock one?  I currently use a Red Wine Audio USB Select (battery powered modified M-Audio Transit) as my soundcard/transport right now to my Ack Dack! but am strongly considering getting a UD-10 to see how they compare, because that UD-10 is just so affordable...

avta

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2007, 07:49 pm »
Hey guys:
I'm confused. I've got a Mac based computer, external hard drive with flac files that I send wirelessly to  a Squeezebox. How would I use the Trends unit?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2007, 09:15 pm »
avta,

The Trends UD-10 basically does the same as your Squeeze Box (except it connects via USB, not ethernet or wireless network), so you wouldn't use it with Squeeze Box.  The Squeeze Box (functional at least) is much superior to the Trends UD-10.  Squeeze Box provides a display, digital volume control, program controls, and therefore allows you to multiple/remote systems from the same PC/Mac via wireless network connections.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2007, 09:48 pm by JLM »

avta

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2007, 09:25 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

audio-heaven

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2007, 09:28 pm »
I agree that the Squeezebox has superior functionality I have one myself, but even used with my Benchmark Dac 1 I was still unhappy with the sonics so I tried a friends UD-10, it clearly had far better sound than the unmodified Squeezebox, and seeing as I can't afford to get the full Bolder Cable mod for my squeezebox the UD-10 gives better sound IMO than the unmodified Squeezebox that is why I bought a UD-10 today :D

One day I will get my Squeezebox modified but untill then I'll be using the trend :wink:

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2007, 09:36 pm »
Here's OP's post on AA, where he said Trends is much better than stock SB3.
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/2/22007.html

bullethead

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2007, 12:39 am »
Hey Bullethead, is the Squeezebox powersupply youre using with the UD-10 a custom one or the stock one?  I currently use a Red Wine Audio USB Select (battery powered modified M-Audio Transit) as my soundcard/transport right now to my Ack Dack! but am strongly considering getting a UD-10 to see how they compare, because that UD-10 is just so affordable...

It's the stock SB Power Supply.  I have the battery adaptor as well that goes with the trends but I haven't tried it yet.  I wouldn't recommend not using an external power source.  The puppy needs more juice besides USB power to give it that "bloom".  The difference is night and day.

acd483

• www.anthonydumville.com
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2007, 11:41 am »
Have you tried it's headphone jack? I'm debating whether to get a UD-10 or a Meier Corda Move for the amplification (via usb) of my Grados at work. The UD-10 is $100 cheaper, but the Move can fly with me, which would be huge.

avta

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2007, 01:46 pm »
Another question:
I'm running a Mac OS based system using an external hard drive to store flac files which I currently play through my pre and amp wirelessly with a Squeezebox. I understand that the Squeezebox would not be used with a UD10 but how would it connect to a system like mine? Thanks.

pardales

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2007, 01:52 pm »
avta: You would run a USB cable out of your MAC and into the UD-10.

I have tried many differnt USB to SPDIF converters. Given the price/performance ratio, I settled on the UD-10. It is excellent. Some day I would like to try a Squeezebox just to compare, but at this point I am content.

mcullinan

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2007, 01:55 pm »
I have a similiar setup via wireless connection from a Mac to a SB3, from there I use the optical out to an outboard DAC, the Lavry DA-10. If you were to use a UD10 you would go USB out to UD10 then connect that to a preamp via outputs. I think whats being discussed is the sound quality of each product, though if you use an outboard DAC with the SB3 it negates this. At least this is my thinking. And unless your stereo is nearby your computer running cable that far seems impractical.
Mike

avta

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2007, 02:05 pm »
Sorry but I'm not getting it. "USB out" is confusing. I currently connect the external drive to the computer via a usb connection. When I look at the pictures of the UD10  I don't understand which connection is used for what. Would someone mind giving me a point to point description of what the setup would look like? The distance between the computer and the pre is about 5 ft. I don't have a dac. I understand there is a dac in the UD10. How is that used? Thanks

audio-heaven

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jul 2007, 02:54 pm »
The connection from your computer to UD-10 and then on to your Hi Fi goes like this:

Computer USB out using a USB type A-A cable
Into the single USB port on the front of the UD-10
On the rear of the UD-10 you have a rage of digital output connections
eg: spdif XLR/AES/EBU Optical BNC
choose your preference from the digital outputs and connect to your DAC, you cannot use the UD-10 without a dac.

Hope this helps :D
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2007, 03:28 pm by audio-heaven »

mcullinan

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jul 2007, 03:11 pm »
I thought the UD10 had a DAC inside> Look Below!

Mike

audio-heaven

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2007, 03:23 pm »
I thought the UD10 had a DAC inside> No?
Mike
It uses a Burr Brown PCM2704 for the USB conversion but the UD-10 does not have any analouge outputs. in this respect it's just like your Squeezebox it is a transport only.

I also have a Squeezebox 3 but the UD-10 sounds a lot better, sure you loose the great functionality and wireless capability of the Squieezebox but the superior sound quality of the UD-10 more than makes up for it IMO
A modified Squeezebox is a different matter all together however at £75 the UD-10 is cheaper than having your Squeezebox modified at Bolder.
I hope to get my Squeezebox modded one day but untill then I'm loving the little UD-10 it sounds great with my Benchmark dac 1.

mcullinan

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jul 2007, 03:38 pm »
But if my Mac sends out digital through Wifi to SB3 and out digital there( to my DAC), does it matter what transport I use? It stays digital so there is no loss of info...
Mike

audio-heaven

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jul 2007, 03:51 pm »
As I understand it the Squeezebox as a transport is held back by its poor jitter spec Wayne at Bolder Cables does a modification to the squeezebox to improve this less than great digital performance, the SB uses more than one crystal so it can pick up internet radio, this is one of the things that apparently cases more jitter and hinders it's performance as a transport.

The UD-10 is built from the ground up to have minimal jitter using it's own high performance master clock the difference between the UD-10 and the Squeezebox's sound is quite apparent.
The UD-10 also uses high grade components like Wima film caps, Os Cons, Silmics ect while an un-modded Squeezebox uses bog standard surface mount capacitors.

As a side by side comparison the UD-10 easily outclasses the un-modded Squeezebox to my ears :D

mcullinan

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jul 2007, 03:56 pm »
Got it! Now the Lavry does reclock the digital info so for me it gets fixed a little l8r in the pipe.
I think. heh
Mike