Inexpensive integrated with headphone out for office use

chadh

I'm considering overhauling my office audio system, and would appreciate some suggestions.

Currently I stream music through a USB DAC to a Channel Islands headphone amplifier.  The sound is nice, but I would rather not be constrained to listen via headphones all the time.  So I'm considering bringing some speakers into the office.  Of course I'll also need an amp, and that's where my confusion lies.

The speakers I have are an older pair of KEF bookshelf speakers: concentric drivers, 6ohms with a sensitivity around 90dB.  I won't be able to listen at very high volumes at all, so very low powered amplification would be fine.  The first constraint I impose is that I need to be able to use headphones at some times.  So, I have a couple of options:

1.  I could use the CI Audio VHP1 as both a headphone amp and a preamp (I have a set of interconnects with RCA plugs at one end and a single headphone-like connector at the other), and then simply add an amplifier.  If I went in this direction, I could use a sonic impact T-amp or something of that sort (I have a couple of the SI amps), or even the CI Audio chip amps that I'm currently trying to sell.

2.  I could sell the VHP1 and replace it with an integrated amp, as long the integrated amp had a decent sounding headphone out.  This would be my preferred option, if I could find something that worked well for me.  Tubes would be fine (probably even preferable), although it would have to use common tubes that could be replaced cheaply.   

The second constraint is of course expense.  I'd really like to keep net expenditure as close to $0 as possible, although I could probably stretch things to a couple of hundred dollars (if I manage to sell some other gear).

As an example of the sort of thing I could use, the Almarro A205A would fit the bill (although I can't remember if it's the Mk I or Mk II that includes a headphone out).  It strikes me that there might be all sorts of other alternatives out there, especially from those inexpensive Chinese producers that seem to pop up out of nowhere.  I expect that the used market will be the best option for me.

So, does anybody know of an appropriate integrated with decent headphone out that sells used somewhere in the $300-$500 range?

Chad

Mike19

• Carbona, not glue.
Re: Inexpensive integrated with headphone out for office use
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2009, 07:10 am »
Hi Chad.

If you can't find what you want used, you might check out the Sherwood RX-5502: 2 x 100w receiver w/ headphone out; $200 @ www.parts-express.com  (Part #252-120)

jrebman

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2009, 02:22 pm »
Chad,

If I were putting somethng like this together for myself I'd take a serious look at the new Glow1 amp.  It will supposedly have a much better built-in dac than the first model, a really decent headphone output, and uses two EL84s and 2 5670s as drivers.  The tubes are easily available, and even new production el84s from a few companies are sounding very good.  It also comes standard with a tube cage to that pile of office papers won't start a fire when it falls on top of the amp :-).  You will also be able to get them in several colors.

Another candidate would be the Cayin HA-1 headphone amp, which also uses el84s for output tubes but has speaker connections as well.  2 watts for the Cayin vs. 5 for the Glow.

Sorry to say I've not heard either myself, but as I said at the start, if I were doing this for myself, these are the first two places I would go, but that's because I love el84s.

Good luck,

Jim

chadh

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2009, 05:15 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd forgotten about the Cayin amp, but I agree that it would work well.  I've almost never seen it used, though, and new it's a little pricey.  It's a shame, though, cause it's certainly a gorgeous looking piece.

The glow amp might be a good option, though.  I thought about the glow amp originally, but dismissed it since its dac was supposedly crappy.  But if the new one works well, that may be just the ticket.

Here's something else I saw on Audiogon...looks like Boris might be selling it.  Any ideas about it?

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1241131829&/VT-VT-86PP

And something from Ming-Da:

http://www.pacificvalve.us/MDMC84C07.html

Any insight would be fabulous.  Thanks.

Chad

jrebman

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2009, 06:17 pm »
Chad,

That little PP 6v6 also looks intriguing... to me, but only because the 6v6 is one of my fave tubes, and like the el84, is pretty difficult to make a bad sounding amp with.  And the extra watts could help with those speakers, but if you can't really turn it up, I don't know how much you'd notice.

-- Jim

seadogs1

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2009, 10:15 pm »
Check out the Peachtree Decco used on Audiogon. Great reviews.