« on: 15 Feb 2009, 07:24 am »
 :scratch:  OK.  My system consists of:
Bel Canto Pre 3
Bel Canto S300
Squeezebox 3
PS3
SP Tech Timepiece Mini
JL Audio Fathom 112

I've been looking at some sub $700 DAC's (used Bel Canto Dac 2, B-Stock PS Audio Digital link 3, Cambridge Audio Dac Magic, Musical Fidelity VDAC, etc....
Was planning on toslink from PS3 to DAC, Coaxil from Squeezebox to DAC, XLR/RCA from DAC to Bel Canto Pre 3.  Any suggestions are welcome. :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: DAC for my system?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2009, 10:25 am »
The Channel Island Audio VDA-2 would be a no brainer IMO.  Small, well built, very well reviewed, can be upgraded easily/cheaply (better power supply), and fits your requirements perfectly. 

I'd also look for a used Benchmark (the original).  The Benchmark is also small, but cost a bit more.  OTOH it has a volume control.

The only "problem" with either of these is the lack of USB input in case you ever go the PC audio route.

Search Audio Circle for either one (lots of opinions here).

jman66

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2009, 12:44 pm »
Slightly higher than $700 is the TADAC by Tube Audio Design.
A dac and tube preamp in a single unit that has balanced outputs as well as single-ended.
You could potentially eliminate the PRe3, since it will now be redundant and you'll have a decent tube pre.  :wink:

The VDA-2 is also a fine dac. Adding in the VAC-1 powersupply kicks up the performance.

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2009, 02:38 pm »
Have you considered replacing your Pre3 with a DAC3?  Since all of your sources are digital, you could use the DAC3 as your source-selector.  I strongly prefer a DAC3 directly feeding the S300 compared to the Pre3...

(disclaimer; I'm a Bel Canto dealer...)

werner52

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2009, 04:12 pm »
JLM-Have not come across that one, I'll begin research for the Channel Island Audio VDA-2.  Thanks.

jman66-I'd love tubes, my family environment seems to teeter the other way, still I'll take a peek at that model.  Thanks.

PhilNYC - Currently with the PRE 3 I'm using balanced to the S300 and unbalanced to the JL sub.  As a Bel Canto dealer do you take trade ins? :lol:  Thanks.       

PhilNYC

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2009, 05:26 pm »
PhilNYC - Currently with the PRE 3 I'm using balanced to the S300 and unbalanced to the JL sub.  As a Bel Canto dealer do you take trade ins? :lol:  Thanks.       

The DAC3 has both balanced and unbalanced outputs, so you could set it up the same way you've got your Pre3 for use with your amp and subwoofer (note that the unbalanced output is 6db lower than the balanced output...I don't believe this is true of the Pre3), so you'd have to make the appropriate adjustment on your subwoofer.

email or PM me re: trade-in...!

werner52

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2009, 08:13 pm »
PhilNYC-I believe I would lose the HT bypass option on the PRE3 if I went with the DAC3?  One of the reasons I went with this item was to meld with a future receiver (HDMI w/front outs to the PRE3), while still utilizing the PRE3 for the fronts. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2009, 12:02 am »
PhilNYC-I believe I would lose the HT bypass option on the PRE3 if I went with the DAC3?  One of the reasons I went with this item was to meld with a future receiver (HDMI w/front outs to the PRE3), while still utilizing the PRE3 for the fronts. 

You would not have a "convenient" HT bypass option with the DAC3 as you do with the Pre3.  You *could* do it with the DAC3 setup by taking the main L/R analog outputs from your HT processor and connecting them directly to the RCA inputs on your S300 (assuming you connect the DAC3 to the S300 via the XLR inputs)...then use the toggle switch on the back of the S300 as your "bypass" (set to RCA when using the HT processor, set to XLR when just listening to the DAC3).  Of course, since the RCA/XLR toggle is on the back of the S300, this is not as convenient as using Input 5 on your Pre3...but it does achieve the same thing...

werner52

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2009, 12:24 am »
Update - I was able to get a good price on a PS Audio DacIII.  The USB option was the kicker.  Currently running XLR's from the DAC to the Pre3 to the amp, toslink from the PS3 and coaxial from the squeezebox3.  The biggest change in one word...Detail!  I got yelled at from some friends at work because my PS3 online/offline notice kept popping up on their TVs after each time I listened to then ejected another after another CD/DVD so I could re-live the sound (I knew I found a keeper for the system).  Nuances like I couldn't believe.  I've often referred the ol' cliche removing another layer of glass, well I think I just opened up the damn window! :green:  What pleased me most on this is I'm always hesitant on picking new things up in case it throws the synergy of the system, thank God I lucked out again. 
I may invite some 5.1 friends over so they can hear more detail from this 2.1 system :thankyou:

Levi

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2009, 03:48 am »
I have a PS Audio DAC3 being used as a DAC for my MacBook Pro.  Coming from the cold, plug-n-play, this is one great DAC!  :thumb:

Just in case you want to see the inside...They used high quality parts and clean board layout.  No OPamps! :thumb:

Cheers,
Levi

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2009, 04:35 am »
You might check out the mods for the PS Audio....here...... :wink:

werner52

« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2009, 06:38 am »
I'm going to wait for mods until later $$ (either level 3 or 4).  At this time I'm very content with what is happening in the system.  Played Call of Duty: World at War tonight, I cannot believe the depth that this has brought out.  I can hear more detail with less volume (which helps tremendously during late night gaming sessions).   

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2009, 12:00 pm »
I did the same thing; stock unit then had one modified.  it is amazing how much better it can get with the mods from Cullen, not Underwood, btw.  Cullen builds the stock unit and knows what needs to be done to elevate it.  It's a nice unit as you are experiencing.

Mightyburner

« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2009, 12:44 pm »
I did the same thing; stock unit then had one modified.  it is amazing how much better it can get with the mods from Cullen, not Underwood, btw.  Cullen builds the stock unit and knows what needs to be done to elevate it.  It's a nice unit as you are experiencing.

I thought Cullen did the mods for Underwood.  :scratch:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2009, 01:08 pm »
No.  Chris Johnson of Sonic Frontiers heritage does the mdifications to Walter's goods in Canada through Parts Connexion.

Note that the mods Walter offers are more window dressing than anything else and in my book a big waste of dollars.  How do I know this?  Ruined a perfectly good amp once doing this "mod" work through Walter.  Never again.

Only real technical changes with the Cullen mods.  Rick Cullen is a genius guys.

Brown

« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2009, 03:08 pm »
No.  Chris Johnson of Sonic Frontiers heritage does the mdifications to Walter's goods in Canada through Parts Connexion.

Note that the mods Walter offers are more window dressing than anything else and in my book a big waste of dollars.  How do I know this?  Ruined a perfectly good amp once doing this "mod" work through Walter.  Never again.

Only real technical changes with the Cullen mods.  Rick Cullen is a genius guys.

I agree stay away. Have heard far too many bad experiences.

pardales

« Reply #16 on: 12 Mar 2009, 03:30 pm »
Is this the DAC that their blowing out right now for $695 (was $995)?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2009, 03:34 pm »
Is this the DAC that their blowing out right now for $695 (was $995)?

Yes. 

Levi

« Reply #18 on: 12 Mar 2009, 05:11 pm »
Yes that is the correct price.  They are coming up with a new one. :)

Watson

« Reply #19 on: 12 Mar 2009, 05:27 pm »
I have a PS Audio DAC3 being used as a DAC for my MacBook Pro.  Coming from the cold, plug-n-play, this is one great DAC!  :thumb:

Just in case you want to see the inside...They used high quality parts and clean board layout.  No OPamps! :thumb:

Am I the only one who sees op-amps in those pictures?