Amp choice needed,, ready to lay down $$$$$

morganc

Re: Pass Labs combo ready to lay down $$$$$
« Reply #20 on: 3 Apr 2021, 02:39 am »
I've got a Don Sachs pre with the Spatial X-5's matched with a SS Amp and it's the perfect warmth addition IMO.  I love 6SN7 tubes. I'd also look at the Modwright LS100.  I do have a Don Sachs pre for sale as I bought a new one.  He's also in Canada and has the X-5's as well.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #21 on: 3 Apr 2021, 02:53 am »
I've got a Don Sachs pre with the Spatial X-5's matched with a SS Amp and it's the perfect warmth addition IMO.  I love 6SN7 tubes. I'd also look at the Modwright LS100.  I do have a Don Sachs pre for sale as I bought a new one.  He's also in Canada and has the X-5's as well.
Morgan that sounds like a great combo. I was looking to do something similar but I have a demo Octave V40se presently driving my M3’Sapphires. Unbelievable!  Probably going to wind up with the V80se after all. It will be my first tube amp after 60years of listening.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #22 on: 3 Apr 2021, 02:56 am »
XP12 is notably better than the 10 - much quieter.

Replaced my 12 with a DOn Sachs.  Back to tubes and really was shocked how good the Sachs is. The Xp12 is very good, but not a tube pre. :roll:

morganc

« Reply #23 on: 3 Apr 2021, 03:05 am »
Morgan that sounds like a great combo. I was looking to do something similar but I have a demo Octave V40se presently driving my M3’Sapphires. Unbelievable!  Probably going to wind up with the V80se after all. It will be my first tube amp after 60years of listening.

I've always wanted to hear the Octaves. I bet they sound great. 
And yes I'm pretty much loving my system at the moment. The Pre provides just a touch of warmth while maintaining  transparency and detail. 

morganc

« Reply #24 on: 3 Apr 2021, 10:13 pm »
XP12 is notably better than the 10 - much quieter.

Replaced my 12 with a DOn Sachs.  Back to tubes and really was shocked how good the Sachs is. The Xp12 is very good, but not a tube pre. :roll:

What all Pre-Amps have you used and hodge does the Don Sachs compare for you?  Just curious as I own and love it as well. 

2bigears

« Reply #25 on: 4 Apr 2021, 01:30 am »
 :D with the 250.5 Pass Labs,,,, would this DS pre do both justice.  I do love tube preamps with a SS amp.
         Don't think I'll bite on the X1 ,,,, but a tube pre is great to soften up a bit.  :D

gene9p

« Reply #26 on: 6 Apr 2021, 01:34 pm »
I've got a Mac tube pre amp coming so I listed the Pass for sale. I was going to wait for the AVA amp to arrive in 3-4 weeks but made this hard decision last night.

RDavidson

« Reply #27 on: 6 Apr 2021, 10:55 pm »
Agree. Tube preamp with SS amp is a fantastic combo. With really good SS (like Pass, AVA, and others), one shouldn't really need to "soften" the sound. What I like about a tube preamp in this case is that one can get a highly resolving tube preamp that also provides a more tonally saturated midrange. This can really help the music sound more alive and organic, while still getting the extended highs and bass definition that SS does so well.

2bigears

« Reply #28 on: 6 Apr 2021, 11:40 pm »
  :D darn right,  a tube with a good ss amp works. The VAC pre has a very good phono stage. So I can get rid of my separate MF ph stage. Another box gone !  I was wondering if I pair a set of X-5's with the Pass 250.5 ,,,, would that be to much for those efficient speakers ? Anyone know the waiting time on the Spatial speakers ?    :D

RDavidson

« Reply #29 on: 6 Apr 2021, 11:53 pm »
Spatials are very sensitive, but I don't think this necessarily makes them a simple/easy load. I have a friend with Spatials and it seems that they do tend to respond to more power. Of course, consider your room size, listening distance, and desired SPL's. With that in mind the XA250.5 operates in pure, sweet, class A for the first 15 wpc. Those are the important watts to consider. :wink:

TomS

« Reply #30 on: 7 Apr 2021, 12:47 am »
  :D darn right,  a tube with a good ss amp works. The VAC pre has a very good phono stage. So I can get rid of my separate MF ph stage. Another box gone !  I was wondering if I pair a set of X-5's with the Pass 250.5 ,,,, would that be to much for those efficient speakers ? Anyone know the waiting time on the Spatial speakers ?    :D
I'm using a ModWright KWH 225i Hybrid integrated (tube pre/SS outputs) with the X5's. It runs to 35wpc Class A, then AB to 225wpc. It's completely effortless on the Spatials, doubtful it gets out of Class A at all, and sounds fantastic. It bested every other combo I tried, which was many, both tube and SS.

2bigears

« Reply #31 on: 7 Apr 2021, 04:01 am »
 :) thank you very much.  Good to know. Headroom is great to have in your trick bag. The VAC has a great phono. Spent a little extra on separates for sure. The last system I will ever buy. I'm 62 and going out with some good tunes.  :)

2bigears

Re: Amp choice needed,,,,ready to lay down$$$$$
« Reply #32 on: 1 May 2021, 12:10 am »
 :D the pass 250 fell through. The speakers I have are 4 ohm so not much power needed really.  A good quality SS amp is needed to finish my last buying binge. The speakers are ProAc D48r ,, with the VAC pre with phono.   I'm looking at maybe a 5 grand amp to finish this trip I've been on. Used is so good but sometimes you can wait forever just to save a lot ,,ha , or a little if it's not that old. Listen to old time R&R and such. So many good amps out there these days. Sure don't want to blow this last step.  :D

RPM123

Re: Amp choice needed,, ready to lay down $$$$$
« Reply #33 on: 1 May 2021, 01:16 am »
For something a little different, check out the Valvet E3, single ended, Class A amp. I don't know if they offer a trial period? Good luck in your search.

https://highend-electronics.com/products/valvet-e3-solid-state-single-ended-class-a-dual-mono-amplifier

2bigears

« Reply #34 on: 1 May 2021, 03:19 am »
 :D that little amp looks cool. Wonder if it has enough horsepower ?   :D

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #35 on: 1 May 2021, 04:04 am »
There is a Pass X30.8 amp for sale on Audiogon.  It is 30 wpc Class A at 8 ohms, 60 wpc Class A at 4 ohms and above that it switches to Class AB until 100wpc. It should drive those Proac  speakers which are 4 ohm and 90db sensitivity with ease.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9f6j0-pass-labs-pass-labs-xa30-8-power-amplifier-solid-state

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/power-amplifier/pass-labs-xa30-8-class-stereo-power-amplifier-review/

https://www.dagogo.com/pass-labs-xa30-8-class-stereo-amplifier-review/

2bigears

« Reply #36 on: 1 May 2021, 04:43 am »
 :D what I was thinking is,, everybody has Pass Labs !! Big power and $$ .  So many good SS amps I bet. The VAC will work with most with ease. Just thinking out loud.  Not sure I need big Pass power ?  Plus I really have never heard Class A ,, is it really the shit ?   :D

JackD

« Reply #37 on: 1 May 2021, 04:55 am »
If you want a great amp with plenty of power for the ProAC's, works well with tube preamps (I've used three different ones) and keep money in your pocket then order a Vision SET 400 from Frank and call it a day.  Also doesn't weigh a ton or put out heat.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #38 on: 1 May 2021, 05:04 am »
I have the Pass INT-60 so I’m not looking at big power (listed at 60 wpc with first 30 wpc in class A) and I love the amp. Unless I decide to really shake the walls I rarely get out of class A.  I’ve been using amps from another company here on AC which I think the world of but this Pass is in a whole different universe (and should be better given the cost). 

I’m going to replace my current 89 db/6 ohm speakers with a pair of 95.5 db/8 ohm speakers in the near future and I can’t wait to hear how this amp enjoys the easier load (I may never get out of class A and that’s alright with me).

While I’ve had this less than a year I can see this being an end game amp for me.

Nick B

« Reply #39 on: 1 May 2021, 06:29 am »
:D what I was thinking is,, everybody has Pass Labs !! Big power and $$ .  So many good SS amps I bet. The VAC will work with most with ease. Just thinking out loud.  Not sure I need big Pass power ?  Plus I really have never heard Class A ,, is it really the shit ?   :D

+1 as to what JackD said. My AVA Vision SET 120 is the little brother of the Vision SET 400. Jack made the recommendation to me and I can’t thank him enough.
Nick