Used record stores in DFW

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Used record stores in DFW
« on: 26 May 2012, 04:32 pm »
'morning'!

I'm in Ft Worth for a few days.  I see Half-Priced Books and Doc's Records on Camp Bowie Rd, and a tiny shop on University near TCU.  Any other suggestions in the DFW area?

Any good indoor antique malls?   I imagine the web has wiped out old fashioned outdoor flea markets, but any suggestions? 

Thanks!

'brick

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Re: Used record stores in DFW
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2012, 04:43 pm »
Forever Young on 360 and Mayfield area.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2012, 02:14 am »
Thanks, all!  I hit Doc's this afternoon and found it to be extremely well organized, and the LPs I looked at seem to be in uniformly excellent condition.  Prices were fair, many at $6-8, and I bought a few Gordon Bock albums.

The really good news is that the wife and  I went to the Montgomery Street Antique Mall on I-30 in Ft Worth and hit the jackpot!  What seems to be Doc's overstock fills a room, and all the LPs are $1.00 each!  Mostly classic rock, some obscure stuff.  While I didn't see many trashed discs, some of the jackets were in pretty rough shape. 

In another booth in the same mall a guy had several turntables (JVC, Sony, Technics) in very nice cosmetic condition, even the dust covers.  I think he was asking just under $100 each.  In that same booth were a fair number of classical LPs in virtually MINT condition!  Extremely clean!  And all for $1.00 each!  I scored several RCA LSC White Dogs, and a three-disc LSC Soria Wagnerian opera for $8.00.

Lastly, stumbled on a Half Price Books in SW FTW, (on Hurlen?), and did well.  Everything in the store is 20% off, so got nice stuff at $3.20 each. 

Tomorrow I'll scope out the flagship store!

Thanks, all!

'brick

nrenter

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2012, 03:17 am »
IMHO, you'd be better off searching out some of the more out-of-the-way HPBs than hitting the "flagship" store. Yes, on 2 occasions I've found gems there, but in general, I find it picked over.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2012, 03:20 pm »
Cool!  Any suggestions?

We're moving our base of operations to Dallas this morning, as it's closer to where my wife will be working for the summer.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2012, 02:47 am »
UPDATE:  We did hit the 'flagship" Half-Price Books today, and made out like a bandit!  The selection was great, especially in the movie sound track section.  Lots of stuff I had never seen before!
Did well in the "folk" section, and better yet snared about 15 LPs from the $1.00 racks, several of which I have been looking for months.  Add to it the 20% Memorial Day Sale, and I paid 80 cents each!

Only gripe as that most of their discs were in the $6-8 range, roughly 30% more than the other Dallas-Ft Worth stores charge.   :nono: