What to Do?

Phil_S

What to Do?
« on: 17 May 2019, 10:15 pm »
After many decades, my equipment is starting to fail.  I need some advice on how best to deal with it.  My objective is to get the best sound for the money.  I’m in Northern VA and close to Music Technologies, an outstanding shop.

Here’s the equipment list with commentary:

Normal Configuration:
Speakers – OHM 100 MK3 – Nominal 6 ohm load, dips to 4.  Works perfectly
Amp-HK Citation 12 – All original.  Could use a recap and cleanup.  It operates well for its age.
Pre - B&K Pro 5 – Not working well.  Phono stage has no output.  Right channel silent.
Turntable – Wheel of Steel Mk3 – Works perfectly
Tuner-Dynalab FT-11 – has trouble pulling in local stations
CD/DVD – Sony 5 Disk Player – Works No Issues
Nitty Gritty 1.5 – Works perfectly

Not In Service:
Pre-HK Citation 11 – Not turned on in over 10 years
Tuner – HK Citation 15 – Not turned on in over 20 years
Cassette – Yamaha 1020 – Needs new Belts not used in over 10 years
DBX 5BX – Needs battery – Given to me on loan over 10 years ago.  Have not heard from owner despite several attempts to contact.
Teac R2R – Needs Belts & Power chord,  Motors run.

I need options.  Recommendations?

bacobits1

Re: What to Do?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2019, 10:52 pm »
Anything not used in 10-20 years is not worth the fix unless it's classic. The fix on anything is expensive!!!
Music Technologies is excellent you pay for excellence.
If you still listen to radio send the Dynalab in for a fix.
Depends on how much you want to spend. Lots of great used stuff out there.
So I say look for newer replacements.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2019, 11:29 pm »
Yeah, I have agree. The cost of repairs can be more expensive than merited. Not very ecological, but it all comes down to dollars and sense.

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2019, 11:45 pm »
I have an Audiolab tuner that I have not used in 10 years, like new if you are interested.

I would throw away the cassette stuff.  There is no market for it.

There are much better amps out there now, but you will need serious power for the Ohm speakers.  I suggest switching amps, like the Merrill Audio.

Get rid of the preamp, it will hold back the entire system.  Try to do without one or use a passive transformer-based one.  A good active Pre is vacuum-tube based and expensive, like $10K.  Maybe look at Prima Luna stuff.

Finally, if you want to modernize to improve sound quality, get a good DAC, maybe with volume control and a reclocker to reduce the jitter of your transport.  If the CD transport does not have digital output, get rid of it and get a good used or new Oppo Blu-ray player on ebay.