Sensation "no-brainer"

cynan

Re: Sensation "no-brainer"
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jan 2010, 05:01 pm »
About the PSU prices on the M901 purchase page.

It may be a bit confusing (was to me at least) the way it says "add $129, $179, $249" for the high current options. This makes it seem like this is the cost over and above the 30V/130W switching PSU. But, then going to the Partner's Product page, this listed prices are the actual prices of these PSUs. IE, should it not read "add $30, $80, $150" for these? Or is it implied that, if selected, these PSUs will be included in addition to the 30V/130W switching PSU?

Also, what is the procedure for applying for an upgrade coupon code for the Sensation? The codes in the original post are deleted.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #21 on: 8 Jan 2010, 03:01 am »
You're absolutely right about the power supply options with M901!  I'll change the pricing right away.  THANK YOU!  Ok, that's done and I increased the opt-out discount to make that easier.

The discount codes are not for public use, only for customers who bought ONEs and TWOs before June 1, 2009.  If you're one of those people and did not get the notice, email me at seth@virtueaudio.com.  I discontinued the program because demand for the little amp far outstripped supply (ie. sales incentives were not necessary) and also that I feared running out of M901s for the upgrade program.

pardales

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jan 2010, 06:02 pm »
What is the difference between the two Sensation models?

PSB Guy

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jan 2010, 06:13 pm »
As per the website, the M901 has t-copper Propellor Posts as well as RCA jacks, Auricaps instead of Virtucaps, and includes the 30v/130w switching power supply as opposed to the 24v/65w. Anyone feel free to mention anything I forgot. :D

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #24 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:05 pm »
Yip, dead on. 

For those folks who are just dying to break the $2k barrier with us, we're in the final stages of development of a very unique tube buffer for the ICEBlock amps. 

We're not rolling the dice on this program.  We've formed an exclusive relationship with Gary Dodd of Dodd Audio to make the best darn ICEPower amp ever sold.  Of course, it will also be a super high-value product with a target price of $2,500/pair.

We're in the process of finalizing our go-to-market tube selection.  Some that Gary has tried are:

12ax7
ecc83
cv4004
e83cc
ecc803
ecc81
12at7
e81cc
ecc801
cv4003
ecc82
12au7 5814
e82cc
ecc802
12ay7
12az7

pardales

« Reply #25 on: 24 Jan 2010, 03:38 am »
Sorry if this was answered already but when will Sensation amps be shipping?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #26 on: 24 Jan 2010, 03:49 am »
Around March 15th.

ltr317

« Reply #27 on: 24 Jan 2010, 04:31 am »
Yip, dead on. 

For those folks who are just dying to break the $2k barrier with us, we're in the final stages of development of a very unique tube buffer for the ICEBlock amps. 

We're not rolling the dice on this program.  We've formed an exclusive relationship with Gary Dodd of Dodd Audio to make the best darn ICEPower amp ever sold.  Of course, it will also be a super high-value product with a target price of $2,500/pair.

We're in the process of finalizing our go-to-market tube selection.  Some that Gary has tried are:

12ax7
ecc83
cv4004
e83cc
ecc803
ecc81
12at7
e81cc
ecc801
cv4003
ecc82
12au7 5814
e82cc
ecc802
12ay7
12az7

Hi Seth,

What no 6DJ8/6922/7308?  Tell Gary he's a slacker.  Just kidding.  That's quite a list of small signal tubes he tried so far.  :bowdown:

Paul

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #28 on: 24 Jan 2010, 05:16 am »
Hey Paul -
The goal is to find 2-3 tube combinations that work really well with this ICE module.  The circuitry is very quiet and very neutral - so each tube leaves its own signature.  Gary says that some are really terrible and others just slam.  We'll have more news soon.
Seth

pardales

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:34 am »
    I too have the Sensation M901, and I agree whole heartedly with what has been previously said. 
    I, in fact would go further, and even contradict  Seth (What Heresy!)in that the Sensation absolutely requires a high class (in terms of clean useable power) power supply.  To not do so is akin to buying a 4 Wheel Drive Car for its road traction and safety and putting 4 bald tires on it.  What's the sense? 
    Any discussion of the Sensation begins and ends with it's price performance ratio, and the incredible value that it represents.  Yes, there are other Amps using different topologies that sound better in one specific area, but none of these amps  come close to achieving  the performance of the Sensation at it's price point. 
    I use the Sensation with Omega Speakers, and the synergy is excellent.  It produces an emotionally involving sound that is quite seductive. 

This is me putting my money where my mouth is.  When the next generation of Sensations becomes available, not only will I purchase it, I want to be first in line. 
    'Nuff Said

I am assuming your Omega's are pretty efficient speakers. Do you find that you have good use of the volume control with the Sensation? I have found that, sometimes, with efficient speakers and some amps, the sound gets loud really quickly and you don't have much range of use on the volume control. Curious to hear of your experience.

diz

Sensation 901 Review
« Reply #30 on: 21 Feb 2010, 09:03 pm »
Let me start by saying that I have an affection for integrated amps for some very simple reasons.  For the most part, simplicity is the key.  I like the idea of being able to hook multiple sources to one unit.  It un-clutters my space, it reduces the number of cables and gizmos that I need to buy and most importantly, there is less in the way of the signal path.   The 901 arrived to my door in a very secure package without a scratch anywhere.  The Sensation is an absolute thing of beauty to look at, it is surprisingly heavy and all the connectors are of high quality. 

When I hooked the unit up, I really appreciated the binding posts.  They provided plenty of grip to the wires since I am using bare ends at the amp.  I have two issues at this point.  First I was somewhat disappointed in the remote control.  Having played with the Piano’s cast aluminum remote, I was hoping for the same with the Sensation.  I can see where all the functions might come in handy, but the plastic remote took away from some of the overall satisfying build quality.  Secondly, my input #2 had no sound from the left channel.  An issue that Seth has already addressed……gotta love that guy!

During my initial month with my new Sensation, I used vinyl as well as CD and computer sources.  I also played with some various speakers in different locations.  The environment was at first my listening room (11X14) and I switched over to my living room (16X20).  I utilized my Usher BE-718s, a pair of DIY with 4.5 inch full range drivers in a horn loaded enclosure and finally an old pair of Speaker Lab 6s which uses two horns and a standard 12 inch woofer.  The latter two are pretty sensitive but the sensation drove them all without an ounce of hesitation.

After some break-in time, I played my standards which I use as my base listening experience.  Donald Fagen (Morph The Cat), Eva Cassidy (Live At Blues Alley),  Dire Straits (Money for Nothing),  Keb MO (Just Like You), Jimmie Vaughn (Strange Pleasures), Beatles (Abbey road), Taj Mahall (Maestro).  There are many others of course, but this is always my starting point.

The other T-amps that I have experienced are my Virtue Audio One’s, which I LOVE (I have two) and and the Red Wine Clarit-T, which at the time, I thought was the greatest thing since bread.  Well, bread has been outdone! 

The Sensation is much more refined than any of my prior endeavors that have also included NAD, Marantz, TAD and a few Japanese products that I’d rather not even mention. I always expect the equipment to warm up for a good hour or so of playing music for the amp and speakers to start sounding their best. After the warm up, I was getting very excited.  The combination created a very accurate soundstage that had better depth than I've obtained using most other amplifiers.
I could easily hear each speaker's strengths with impressive imaging and immediacy, although the bigger room did more justice to all the system configurations.  The furnishings and general environment is softer, reducing the room’s reflections.  It also allowed me to turn the up volume where dynamics were enhanced.  The Sensation won’t lie to you.  It presents the recordings as they are.  No cover ups.  It only makes me want to improve the rest of my system because I now know what is possible.  I’m thinking the Piano is back on my short list.  Hey Seth, I can’t wait for your DAC, how about a phono pre?
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2010, 01:34 am by diz »

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #31 on: 23 Feb 2010, 08:57 am »
Dave, we're ALL blushing.  Thanks for the stellar write-up.  You waited more than a year !!! for your Sensation and I'm sorry the second input on that engineering sample was bad.  We'll get it replaced just as soon as the production units arrive!  Big hugs from LA.  Stay warm!

ZLS

« Reply #32 on: 23 Feb 2010, 12:01 pm »
I am assuming your Omega's are pretty efficient speakers. Do you find that you have good use of the volume control with the Sensation? I have found that, sometimes, with efficient speakers and some amps, the sound gets loud really quickly and you don't have much range of use on the volume control. Curious to hear of your experience.

I am using an outboard DAC that is a combination attenuator/DAC so I can control the usable volume range by the setting on that. 
    The Sensation mates very well with the Omega Speakers. 
    Having had the Sensation for several months, I have come to realize that what I thought were characteristics of the Sensation were really characteristics of my listening room.  The Sensation is a very revealing Amplifier, and sensitive to small changes in your room/system. 
    I second the appreciation of the binding posts (first rate in sound and in construction), and raise you the quality of the footers.  They are not just little rubber dots that were thrown on as an after thought the last minute, but something that shows forethought and quality construction. 
    The Sensation is still to me a "No Brainer"

Light-Echo

« Reply #33 on: 27 Feb 2010, 10:08 pm »
Hi Seth

What's the latest on the M-901 shipment? I've slowly accrued a nice stash of paraphernalia including the speaker wires, interconnects, and assorted goodies. Gary sent me his charging kit for my batteries which should be showing up any day. John is getting my N3's to the stage where we will be applying the Bubinga Waterfall veneer. Ninja-San is building me a set of outboard x-overs. I'm getting ... excited.

Regards
Dave
 :drums:
KFD

dvenardos

« Reply #34 on: 28 Feb 2010, 12:04 am »
The One/Twos went via air, but the sensations went via boat so they won't be shipping out for a bit longer. Seth should be able to chime in this evening.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #35 on: 28 Feb 2010, 08:52 am »
They arrive in NYC port on March 5th.  I figure they'll start shipping out on March 15th, about on schedule.  I do not anticipate problems but you don't know until you open the boxes!

wilsynet

« Reply #36 on: 8 Mar 2010, 05:16 pm »
I know that good audio gear isn't necessarily about specs, but I'm wondering anyway.  Would you be willing to share the following specs for both the M451 and M901?

Frequency response
Input impedence
Input sensitivity

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #37 on: 16 Mar 2010, 08:43 pm »
Wilsey,
Sorry for the late reply.  You will find with our topology, the response curves (on both amps) are very flat (+/- 0db) between 20hz-20khz with nominal 6 ohm loads.  Higher loads (ie. 12 ohms+) result in some upward curving above 10k and vice versa with lower (ie. 3 ohms).  We had graphs a while back; nothing recent.
Seth

classicjt2

« Reply #38 on: 17 Mar 2010, 12:41 pm »
Check out the Sensation M451.  The M901 outsells it by 3:1.  Why?
Seth

I just went to the Virtue site and noticed, for the first time, that a Sensation M451 WITH the JT Dynamic power supply sells for a dollar less than an M901 with the 130w smps.

James

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #39 on: 18 Mar 2010, 06:45 am »
We're packing amps, working through the back-orders now.  They should start to ship next week.  I'm really excited to get Sensation out there.  It's... Sensational!