DACs

dvenardos

Re: DACs
« Reply #60 on: 12 Aug 2009, 04:48 pm »
I like separates, too many of us like to mix and match and change things around.  :green:

I decided to do a multi-function DAC/pre-amp/headphone amp first.  It's hard and expensive.  We'll do a scaled back version after...

Cool.  I flip almost daily on whether I prefer a single box to cut down on clutter and connections or separate boxes for everything.  In my head I know the single box makes sense.  But the rest of me likes having more toys to play with and switch around.  It's an ugly hobby at times.  My latest obsession is the Woo Audio stuff.  I really like the idea of a tube pre with high quality HP amp.  But I somehow have convinced myself that I can't live with an OLT design, so I'm spinning wheels like normal.  :)

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #61 on: 12 Aug 2009, 05:00 pm »
We haven't figured out a way to give you both a stepped potentiometer and a remote control that is anywhere near the size/price target.  Lightspeed is an idea... just not viable yet based on the application.  So remote will come later, when we figure out how to do it.  Sorry, I know this is a big one.  Your input/advice absolutely welcome.

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #62 on: 12 Aug 2009, 05:25 pm »
Interesting thread. Sounds like this will be a really nice device. I am definitely someone who will be interested in a unit like this. I'm currently using a Sony EP9-ES Pre-pro in stereo mode with 4 digital inputs. (DVD, Squeezebox, Cable Box, PS3) Most units I see out there just have 1 coax, 1 toslink, and maybe USB (not interested BTW, since I have the Squeezebox), but not many have all the inputs I need.

For me sound quality would be highest priority with number of input second. Remote control volume would be handy, but not required.

Regards,

Chuck

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #63 on: 12 Aug 2009, 05:45 pm »
I like separates, too many of us like to mix and match and change things around.  :green:

I decided to do a multi-function DAC/pre-amp/headphone amp first.  It's hard and expensive.  We'll do a scaled back version after...

Cool.  I flip almost daily on whether I prefer a single box to cut down on clutter and connections or separate boxes for everything.  In my head I know the single box makes sense.  But the rest of me likes having more toys to play with and switch around.  It's an ugly hobby at times.  My latest obsession is the Woo Audio stuff.  I really like the idea of a tube pre with high quality HP amp.  But I somehow have convinced myself that I can't live with an OLT design, so I'm spinning wheels like normal.  :)

I favor separates too. I'd also prefer that the DAC have no volume control, use the best sounding Sabre chip, just one USB and one RCA input and be priced under $500. :D Sound quality above all with just a simple enclosure and a minimum of bells and whistles.

-Roy

dvenardos

« Reply #64 on: 12 Aug 2009, 07:02 pm »
That would be the follow on unit. The first unit is really a preamp with built in DAC.

I favor separates too. I'd also prefer that the DAC have no volume control, use the best sounding Sabre chip, just one USB and one RCA input and be priced under $500. :D Sound quality above all with just a simple enclosure and a minimum of bells and whistles.

-Roy

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #65 on: 12 Aug 2009, 08:31 pm »
The stand-alone unit, without the bells and whistles WILL be less than $500, that I assure you ;-)  We'll get it built, asap... Not having an all-analog signal path (stand-alone DAC is 100% digital until the DAC) dramatically simplifies the design and tearing out components from the PCB will be easy.
Seth

ttan98

« Reply #66 on: 12 Aug 2009, 11:18 pm »
Those who are shopping for a DAC will know that there MANY choices(at least 12 models) of DAC for around $1000 mark. These includes famous brands like PS audio, Benchmark, etc.

At $500 selling price you will also be facing against competitiors from the east selling through Ebay, eg Constantine, Keces etc. I think your competition will be tough.

Curly Woods

« Reply #67 on: 12 Aug 2009, 11:33 pm »
Those who are shopping for a DAC will know that there MANY choices(at least 12 models) of DAC for around $1000 mark. These includes famous brands like PS audio, Benchmark, etc.

At $500 selling price you will also be facing against competitiors from the east selling through Ebay, eg Constantine, Keces etc. I think your competition will be tough.

I think that Virtue and its customers are aware of the competition already :-)  If it sounds like their other products have so far, there will be little to worry about!

pardales

« Reply #68 on: 13 Aug 2009, 01:27 am »

-Roy

Toslink would be nice to if you are going to have multiple inputs.

srb

« Reply #69 on: 13 Aug 2009, 02:06 am »
Toslink would be nice to if you are going to have multiple inputs.

Airport express is exactly why I will include optical.  :thumb:

Virtue Audio designer, panomaniac, previously stated that on page 2, so I think we'll be covered.

Steve

multibit16

« Reply #70 on: 16 Aug 2009, 08:16 pm »
A separate unit may appeal more to a wider range of customers

NotoriousBIG_PJ

« Reply #71 on: 16 Aug 2009, 08:58 pm »
My virtue one would love a usb dac partner. :p

Biggie.

panomaniac

« Reply #72 on: 18 Aug 2009, 03:45 am »
There will be coax, optical and USB inputs on both units - of course!
  So no worries.

ilwooz

« Reply #73 on: 29 Apr 2010, 07:03 pm »
Hi there,
any news about the Virtue DACs? Delayed? Cancelled? Eventually still ESS Sabre projects?
I'm looking for a DAC in these last 6 months and always waiting news from Virtue...
Sorry for such a sudden request, I know that they have a lot of work (and had some unlucky troubles in the very recent past) but... ehm... now I "really need" that DAC and I'd like to have an astonishing DAC by Virtue!
Thanks and bye!

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #74 on: 29 Apr 2010, 07:28 pm »
Your loyalty is noted and very much appreciated!!!

We bobbled the DAC and despite my best intentions, it will probably not see light-of-day in 2010.  There are many technology choices and most of them overkill.  But I'm not going to discuss them here... sorry and thank you for understanding. 

Our current priorities are to get the TWO.2 to market flawlessly, make sure that folks find out about Sensation (it's still unknown), and developing the 2011 next-generation gear, VERY deliberately. 

Fortunately, it's a buyer's market today.  There are many great DACs out there now for hardly any money.  Sad we're not one of them.  Let me know what you find!

ilwooz

« Reply #75 on: 30 Apr 2010, 06:50 am »
Hi Seth,
thanks for Your response! I think I'll go with an "entry level" Audio GD but... anyone of us have more than one audio system, right? And a great sounding DAC is always welcome so... see you soon Virtue DAC!
My best wishes (and appreciation) for Your work and best regards,
Christian

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #76 on: 30 Apr 2010, 12:08 pm »
Thank you and big hugs!  We'll get there eventually... not soon enough for some perhaps...!