DACs

panomaniac

Re: DACs
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jun 2009, 10:11 pm »
We are certainly looking at the Sabre chip, it's a hot contender.  Waiting for more info from them.

Airport express is exactly why I will include optical.  :thumb:

edit: typo
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2009, 12:35 am by panomaniac »

roscoeiii

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jun 2009, 10:44 pm »
Good to hear. I've had people tell me that I should get the Peachtree Nova with the Sabre chip (and a boatload of other interesting DAC design features) for the DAC alone, regardless that I have no need for volume control, amplification or any other feature besides input selection...

Not sure how much the Sabre chip is responsible for this reported performance. But hearing this rave endorsement of the Peachtree made me look hard at what might make it stand out from other great DACs.

And yeah, sign me up to be a DAC guinea pig...

Cheerwino

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jun 2009, 12:42 am »
I have a Nova on the way as a replacement/upgrade to my Decco and will report back. However, the upcoming Sensation sure looks to be a better deal in price and performance at less than $1k. I'm stoked about this Mardis transformer DAC in the Sensation!

Head-to-head with the Decco, the Virtue One and my Scott Nixon NOS DAC outperformed in my system. I did dig the Decco's headphone amp and convenience of the Decco, though. I absolutely can't stand manually switching cables around and having all of these little boxes around, so an all-in-one solution is more to my liking.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jun 2009, 10:51 pm »
Guys,
It's always dangerous to scoop your own products.  The Mardis DAC is probably not going to make the rebirthed Sensation M451.  We'll include it later when we do a second metal-work run which includes cut-outs for USB, Optical, and Coax. You'll probably see the Mardis DAC as a stand-alone product first.
Folks who have made significant DAC investments are not going to miss having a 2nd one in Sensation.  Feel free to flame me... sorry.  Stuff happens.
Seth

Cheerwino

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jun 2009, 12:57 am »
Oh well. I guess my two DACs are enough for now anyway. I'm still keen on the Sensation since I don't expect the Nova to have the stuff to drive the Horns.  :drool:

Don't see any need for flames. But, so you won't be disappointed...
 :flame:
 :beer:

dvenardos

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:33 am »
Guys,
It's always dangerous to scoop your own products.  The Mardis DAC is probably not going to make the rebirthed Sensation M451.  We'll include it later when we do a second metal-work run which includes cut-outs for USB, Optical, and Coax. You'll probably see the Mardis DAC as a stand-alone product first.
Folks who have made significant DAC investments are not going to miss having a 2nd one in Sensation.  Feel free to flame me... sorry.  Stuff happens.
Seth

I think stand alone is a good choice. I have the Channel Islands VDA-2 and think it will be hard to beat and at the same time think I need to have the Sensation reborn.  :thumb:

potter

« Reply #26 on: 5 Jul 2009, 02:46 am »
Michael's experience has been that the with the current state of technology, most of the DAC chips out there are pretty good, and net-net, hardly matter.  On the other hand, the analog output section, specifically the use of good transformer coupling - has a far greater effect on sound quality.  Our DAC prototype with the upgraded transformers is simply amazing sounding.  I wonder how much better it would get with the ESS chips (vs. Cirrus or other commodity DACs).  Michael seems to think, "not much."  I welcome advice to the contrary.

potter

« Reply #27 on: 5 Jul 2009, 03:03 am »
Hi Seth.
I'm an happy owner of a McIntosh MCD500 with a 24 bit Sabre ESS DAC,
so i'm interested to the new 32 bit version but i'm agree with Michael that another very important  component is a "big" transformer.

Sabre +++
Michael's experience has been that the with the current state of technology, most of the DAC chips out there are pretty good, and net-net, hardly matter.  On the other hand, the analog output section, specifically the use of good transformer coupling - has a far greater effect on sound quality.  Our DAC prototype with the upgraded transformers is simply amazing sounding.  I wonder how much better it would get with the ESS chips (vs. Cirrus or other commodity DACs).  Michael seems to think, "not much."  I welcome advice to the contrary.

HT cOz

« Reply #28 on: 16 Jul 2009, 12:52 am »
How is progress on the DAC going?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #29 on: 16 Jul 2009, 01:04 am »
Progress is going well.  We did some testing with ESS and it confirmed Michael's design philosophy resoundingly.  ESS is a fine chip.  However, these circuits just come alive with the right output transformers (nothing cheap, unfortunately).  After hearing it myself, I've stopped asking questions about why.  It's apparently very complicated.  Me and my five wives... we just believe :duh:  Maybe the 32-bit chip will be even more fine... and we'll let you know what we find after we wander that path a bit.. probably not until next year.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2009, 05:35 am by virtue »

panomaniac

« Reply #30 on: 16 Jul 2009, 05:25 am »
Yes, I can confirm that the SABRE DAC is very nice. One of the best I've heard, maybe THE best.  But like all others, it sure helps to have a good output circuit.  But we have that already.... ;)

We hope to have the DAC at RMAF in October.

Welborne

• I love open baffle with 100db sensitivity!
« Reply #31 on: 16 Jul 2009, 05:47 am »
a new DAC from Virtue and Michael? oh....i wish I had known this earlier as I just purchased a Promitheus NOS DAC 1 month ago... :duh:

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #32 on: 16 Jul 2009, 01:52 pm »
Hey, if you didn't buy and sell components, you'd just be an audio lover, not yet an audiophile ;-)

panomaniac

« Reply #33 on: 16 Jul 2009, 05:21 pm »
The Promitheus DAC does it right, so you got a good one - a great choice.  I do think mine will be better, but maybe that's just me. :D

mcullinan

« Reply #34 on: 16 Jul 2009, 05:28 pm »
Best Ive heard is the Bryston DAC, BDA-1, makes some of the best cymbal crashes, is well balanced and musical. Also makes things like Sirius radio sound awesome!
Mike

Welborne

« Reply #35 on: 16 Jul 2009, 05:30 pm »
The Promitheus DAC does it right, so you got a good one - a great choice.  I do think mine will be better, but maybe that's just me. :D

then...send me one to test and i will let you know..  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :lol: aa

dvenardos

« Reply #36 on: 16 Jul 2009, 05:58 pm »
and me too to test against my Channel Islands VDA-2.  :green:

then...send me one to test and i will let you know..  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :lol: aa

HT cOz

« Reply #37 on: 6 Aug 2009, 03:06 pm »
Progress? News? Preditictions?  What's going on with the DAC?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #38 on: 6 Aug 2009, 03:16 pm »
We're bustin' our butts on it, working through the kinks.  It's a pre-amp as much as it is a dac and one of the challenges is keeping all the analog inputs analog, and the digital ones digital.  The design is looking really hot... stepped potentiometers, custom output transformers, and all the love that Michael can pour into it.  Day by day we're getting closer and we're gunning to have a prototype at RMAF...

Welborne

« Reply #39 on: 6 Aug 2009, 03:55 pm »
We're bustin' our butts on it, working through the kinks.  It's a pre-amp as much as it is a dac and one of the challenges is keeping all the analog inputs analog, and the digital ones digital.  The design is looking really hot... stepped potentiometers, custom output transformers, and all the love that Michael can pour into it.  Day by day we're getting closer and we're gunning to have a prototype at RMAF...

Oh...stop keeping us waiting for TOOOooooOoooOoo long. :duh: