A question from Audio Asylum

BWentler

• In Christ, we are all saved!
« on: 5 Jul 2003, 02:54 pm »
I saw this message over at Audio Asylum and have also interested in it's answer:

Posted by Duck8man on June 26, 2003 at 10:52:24

In Reply to: http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=vinyl&n=218996&highlight=odyssey+tempest&r=&session= Re: Preamps - vintage and today posted by Klaus on June 26, 2003 at 06:54:53:

Hey Klaus I've really been enjoying my new Odyssey Audio Tempest preamplifier that you recently sent me! The phono stage really kicks ass. However, in your owners manual you mention that the power supply can be upgraded with extra shielding to help with noise immunity in the phone stage. Could you elaborate on this and also there was no mention on how low of a cartridge output the phono stage could handle and the best way to do impedeance matching (resistive and capacitive). Could you describe this and maybe discuss the effort that Odyssey Audio expended in designing such a great sounding phono stage? I'm sure that everyone would like to hear about this.

Later and hoped everyone enjoyed the 4th of July!!!

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2003, 08:41 am »
OK,

In one word:  Rolf.  It's a Symphonic Line,  and the preamp has been designed for 17 years now,  so you bet that it has been tweaked and tuned to the max.  The boys know what they're doing,  and we don't have anything to do with it,  really.  That's the simple answer.

As for the extra shielding,  yes,  we can order as special mu - metal transformer from Germany.   Mu metal is the best single shielding known,  and in some cases it can make a huge difference.  Good,  but not cheap,  of course.

Late,

Klaus