Hypex Ncore Amps Announced

roscoeiii

Re: Hypex Ncore Amps Announced
« Reply #220 on: 24 Feb 2012, 11:18 pm »
I just want to pipe in to say how much I appreciate the selective quoting from the diyaudio thread, whose length is daunting at this point. Anyone pointing out the greatest hits here is much appreciated...

Rclark

« Reply #221 on: 24 Feb 2012, 11:42 pm »
Thanks Roscoe  :thumb:

Folks there is some tasty stuff in those quotes, if you care to look. But I'll stop. Hopefully we can get some reviews going on this apparent giant slayer among giant slayers.

roscoeiii

« Reply #222 on: 24 Feb 2012, 11:52 pm »
No, my point was that you shouldn't stop. You are saving us a lot of time weeding out junk comments in one of those megathreads. Don't see what is wrong with that.  My POV is that you have been doing us a service. Maybe a link to the post you are quoting would be appreciated. But I see what you are giving us as a positive thing.

Rclark

« Reply #223 on: 25 Feb 2012, 12:04 am »
I've been using my phone but when I get to my laptop I still intend to go back and mark where they came from page-wize.

Yeah, he's got some of the best unvarnished insights I've ever seen from a designer. And I like the tech-speak. I learn more and am forced to pay attention. Rather than the usual prose, you know.

A lot of designers are very curt and short, but he likes to talk. I think it's great.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #224 on: 25 Feb 2012, 12:19 am »
Hopefully I'll still have the AKSA Naksa 100 after my little Ncore jewels arrive.

The last super high-quality amp I owned was 2011 Linn Chakra Majik 3100, 3x 57/100Wrms @ 8/4 Ohms...The only known upgrade to Chakra architecture since it arrived '99 (Klimax mono blocks) I know of is the switch from linear to SMPS.  I had the SMPS.  Chakra is unique.  It employs a pure analog monolithic chip.  Chips have better tolerance values compared to normal discrete circuits, but chips pass little current.  Linn increased current capacity by adding bipolar transistors at the output.  Chakra is like Quad's ancient "current dumping" but a chip replaces the discreet circuit. 

I loved the Majik, even more than Atma-Sphere OTL, but needed more power.  The 3x 114/200W 8/4 Ohm Linn Akurate is about $5500.

The Majik amp is gone now.  The Naksa 100 is in league with Chakra sound quality/pleasure best I can tell, but they have a different gestalt.  If I had to pick a winner I'd lean to Naksa 100, less noise (between and with the notes), and treble maybe best I've heard, cymbals and overall percussion effects pop in the stage very much like live, leading edge transients super quick yet completely natural.  Both amps fatigue free all day.  Naksa plays louder I think.  I think the Naksa has a slight fingerprint, something I never heard in the Majik...yet there be a more natural effect with the Naksa.  Kind of like a tube sound effect, but extremely faint, much less than any tube regardless of cost (I always hear tube noise with all-tube amps...not saying I can't adjust to it and like the amp, but it's there and most noticeable when you first hear it...well, maybe not the $150k Lamm monos with Wilson speakers at 2012 CES, but c'mon, what do you expect at that price?)   

Naksa 100 vs. Ncore a great rumble!  (both in stereo only because the Naksa 100 is stereo)   

Re. Bruno enjoying conversation, and not being afraid to call designers out for shoddy design: I've been around James Bongiorno quite a bit.  James, um, has strong opinions of most everything related to audio design in general, and power amp in particular.  If you don't know his history, check it.  He's one of the high end's original inventors.  In the early 2000s at CES when James won the High End Audio Technology Award (for Trinaural) he had a conversation with one of the head designers at Meridian (IIRC) and was just openly mocking their test equipment, which James considered to be from the stone age.

I would pay money to hear a conversation between James and Bruno.  It would be quite interesting because James is really into the hard science of test specifications, which it seems Bruno is also.  James one of analog's originals, Bruno with similar record (though shorter) in the digital realm.

ETA next batch Ncore is week 11, starts Monday 18 March!       

JDUBS

« Reply #225 on: 25 Feb 2012, 02:14 am »
Um, dude, I got the memo already, it's even right here on this very same page, but thanks for your input on the matter.

Um, "dude", its not a go-forward request.  Why don't you delete all of the quotes in your old messages.  I like Audiocircle and would not like to see it exposed to a lawsuit.

This is the worst thread on Audiocircle because of the quoting.  Again, we're not that stupid, and can read the Diyaudio thread if so inclined.

-Jim

OzarkTom

« Reply #226 on: 25 Feb 2012, 03:24 am »
What bothers me so much about all the buyers, there is not a lot of reviews to read over yonder.

*Scotty*

« Reply #227 on: 25 Feb 2012, 04:00 am »
OzarkTom,which speakers were you breaking in with the TBI amps?
Scotty

Rclark

« Reply #228 on: 25 Feb 2012, 06:47 am »
We should have seen a few reviews by now, The initial run was not very large. I know there are some just starting on the DIY thread, but I haven't gotten that far..

Btw, pages 150-160 of the thread Bruno says that we can measure most everything but there are some things which still require listening, and that science is not finished creating tools for measuring audio. Not all is yet, as it has been argued against, measurable.

That should make many people here happy.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2012, 09:34 am by Rclark »

earflappin

« Reply #229 on: 25 Feb 2012, 01:27 pm »
We should have seen a few reviews by now, The initial run was not very large. I know there are some just starting on the DIY thread, but I haven't gotten that far..

Btw, pages 150-160 of the thread Bruno says that we can measure most everything but there are some things which still require listening, and that science is not finished creating tools for measuring audio. Not all is yet, as it has been argued against, measurable.

That should make many people here happy.

IIRC there are 8-10 reviews or more on the NCORE DIY thread from various posts on different speakers comparing different amps.

mhconley

« Reply #230 on: 25 Feb 2012, 02:04 pm »
Btw, pages 150-160 of the thread...

Please reference post numbers when referring to diyAudio threads.  Their userCP allows you to set number of posts per page and I long ago set mine to the maximum to get through the larger threads on fewer pages.  The NCore thread has 53 pages in my view.

Thanks,
Martin

OzarkTom

« Reply #231 on: 25 Feb 2012, 09:25 pm »
IIRC there are 8-10 reviews or more on the NCORE DIY thread from various posts on different speakers comparing different amps.

With over 2600 posts on DIY, I just don't have the time to find 8 or 10. I noticed several were running active speakers.

Rclark

« Reply #232 on: 25 Feb 2012, 09:54 pm »
I also can't wait for a shootout between Ncore and the almighty SET amp. Bruno apparently started life as a tube amp designer but now no longer considers them even relevant, so that will be interesting.

Rclark

« Reply #233 on: 2 Mar 2012, 12:16 am »
None available till April 30th! But apparently the next batch will be much larger.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #234 on: 2 Mar 2012, 12:54 am »
I wish he'd make the NC1200 available to the DIYer, too.

mhconley

« Reply #235 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:00 am »

+1,000,000

Martin

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #236 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:16 am »
Why do you want the NC1200 if it doesn't measure as well as the NC400 (I haven't looked but that's what I remember Bruno posting on diy)?

Rclark

« Reply #237 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:17 am »
What do you think? 3 or 4 years maybe? Or maybe something like an nc700?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #238 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:20 am »
What do you think? 3 or 4 years maybe? Or maybe something like an nc700?
I think if you read the diy site the future is pretty clear to where they're going.  Good for some, bad for some...it all depends on what you want.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #239 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:22 am »
Why do you want the NC1200 if it doesn't measure as well as the NC400 (I haven't looked but that's what I remember Bruno posting on diy)?

Just to make sure there was a power surplus. I have a thing about headroom. I didn't know it didn't measure as well as the NC400, because I'm not following that thread.