Active XO with Pass B4 crossover for Maggies

66mgb

Active XO with Pass B4 crossover for Maggies
« on: 14 Mar 2012, 09:38 pm »
Anybody thinking about doing an active crossover with the Pass Labs / First Watt B4 crossover available in April?  Supposed to be around $1500.

The B4 is a two channel active crossover filter system. It has 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB rolloff slopes independently selectable for each of 2 high pass filters and two low pass filters. The frequencies of each of these filters is also independently adjustable over two ranges: 20 Hz to 1260 Hz in 20 Hz steps and 200 Hz to 12600 Hz in 200 Hz steps. Each of the frequency setting of the four available poles can also be adjusted independently of the other poles.

Russ

roscoeiii

Re: Active XO with Pass B4 crossover for Maggies
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2012, 10:38 pm »
Depending on where you are located and who has stock, I'd suggest talking with Reno HiFi or Lowther USA. Both are FirstWatt dealers and wonderful to deal with. Not sure about Lowther USA, but Reno HiFi also has a great return policy so that you can try out the product in your system. I would assume this applies to their crossovers as well as the other Pass/First Watt products that they sell.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2012, 10:39 pm »
The Bryston 10B crossover would be another one worth looking into.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2012, 07:23 pm »
I am interested. I would be more interested if I still had my 3.6s - their passive networks were pretty busy affairs. I did introduce an electronic XO to my main system - added a Bryston 10B Sub. I am very happy with that addition. I also have a second system utilizing planars and subs which would benefit from such a crossover.

It would be interesting to get the Pass unit and compare it to the performance of the Bryston (which seems transparent enough to me).

Davey

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2012, 02:23 pm »
$1500.00 is a good chunk of money for a very simple job.

Are any of you guys interested in op-amp based crossovers?

Dave.

66mgb

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2012, 03:48 pm »
Dave
I agree $1500 is a lot. Pass does make really good stuff though.

Davey

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2012, 05:00 pm »
I think what we're starting to see is the "audiophilization" of active crossover networks.  As folks explore this "new" technology, interest increases and manufacturers arrive with expensive products to "service" the customers.  :)

Even Marchand has raised prices considerably from where they were a few years ago.

Suffice it to say, this really is a simple/easy job and a dedicated active crossover/EQ network can be built for less than a third of the price of the Firstwatt unit.

I've built a number of these for Apogee customers but I soon started receiving special requests for various audiophile "modifications."  It became obvious that most were not understanding the basic concept of the units and so I lost interest.  Anyways, that's kind of an aside.  :)

If folks are really interested in pursuing these types of line-level networks then I'd be happy to answer any questions.....and maybe even build you one if you talked me into it.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2012, 05:02 pm »
Why Apogee customers? - just curious on the connection.

66mgb

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2012, 05:27 pm »
Dave
What would a 3.6 crossover cost? Magnepan recommends Lo pass 18Db @250Hz
High Pass 6Db @ 200 Hz  would it be fixed on slope and frequency or adjustable?

Russ

lowtech

« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2012, 06:49 pm »
Why Apogee customers? - just curious on the connection.

Dave is probably too modest to mention that he owns a set of Apogee Calipers, in addition to many other (dipole) speakers.  His knowledge regarding crossover design is well established in both the Magnepan and Apogee communities.

Davey

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2012, 11:59 pm »
Apogee Duetta's actually, but thank you.

I'm a long time Apogee owner and originally bi-amped my Duetta's back in 1986.  Many years later the Apogee online forum began and I participated quite a bit and ultimately fabricated some dedicated crossovers for a few Apogee owners.  Unfortunately, the Apogee brand went through a major transformation and I lost interest.  Apogee's now are a hugely expensive undertaking to procure and/or service.  The speakers are now dinosaurs that just aren't quite extinct yet.  :)

Russ,

You can PM and we can talk.

Cheers,

Dave.