Please help find a good amp for 3.6's

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Please help find a good amp for 3.6's
« Reply #20 on: 9 Mar 2012, 06:27 am »
I extensively auditioned the Bryston 4B-SST2 to go with my new  Magnepan 3.6s at the Maggie dealer.
I am very happy with my choice.
The Pass are beautiful, but expensive, and they use a lot of electricity (class A) and thus are real ovens.
I like to leave my amp on24/7 and the Bryston is just warm, not hot at all. And it sounds great.

TONEPUB

« Reply #21 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:31 am »
The thing I've always been amazed at with the Magnepans is that the more current and more quality you can throw at them, the better they get.  They will work with your favorite $1200 integrated amp, but are transformed by really top notch amplifiers.

berni

« Reply #22 on: 9 Mar 2012, 08:55 am »
I will once more list the MC2 AUDIO amps, which are Pro gear and can handle almost every load with ease but they still  sound more then well. The old series MC (MC 750, MC1250) is discontinued but the new S series is in the same league.
They change in my system was huge, after replacing a SS AVM M2 (270W 4Ohm)
They maybe don't look as pretty but they have a lot of good current to offer.
mc1250 has 1.2kW at 4 Ohm. :o

medium jim

« Reply #23 on: 9 Mar 2012, 03:53 pm »
The thing I've always been amazed at with the Magnepans is that the more current and more quality you can throw at them, the better they get.  They will work with your favorite $1200 integrated amp, but are transformed by really top notch amplifiers.

Not going to go to the old and beat to death argument Tube vs SS.  This question may show that I don't have the DIY or Engineer side of it down, but what about a current line source that goes between the amp(s) and final destination, the maggies? 

Would that change the dynamics of the amp(s) or other foolishness. 

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #24 on: 9 Mar 2012, 10:16 pm »

Given the performance I already have I find that news positively thrilling. Ncores in May, and then perhaps I may try active crossovers as well, with multiple nc400's.

medium jim

« Reply #25 on: 10 Mar 2012, 04:39 pm »
I extensively auditioned the Bryston 4B-SST2 to go with my new  Magnepan 3.6s at the Maggie dealer.
I am very happy with my choice.
The Pass are beautiful, but expensive, and they use a lot of electricity (class A) and thus are real ovens.
I like to leave my amp on24/7 and the Bryston is just warm, not hot at all. And it sounds great.

Hi Elizabeth:

I used to have a Bryston 4B-sst2 when I had my 1.6's, it was a wonderful amp, too strident for the 1.6's which employ a quasi ribbon.  I have no doubt that if I still had it, it would love the 2.5's with true ribbons. 

Again, so many wonderful amps out there that would drive the 3.6's to happy land, a lot has to be said for system synergy though, as well as, personal preferences in the music presentation.

Jim

ajzepp

« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2012, 02:08 am »
I got a tip several years ago that B.K. Butler used to run shows with Jim Winey of Magnepan. Having owned Butler amps for the past six years, I can see why...My Butler amps are untouchables in my system, and they make pure magic with my 3.6s. The tube hybrid design gives me the balls of solid state with a touch of the warmth and body that comes with tubes. I'm planning to send them back to Mr. Butler for a routine check-up, and then I plan to have them as the backbone of my system for another six years and hopefully longer.