A very late night....thanks to Vinyl...and Marbles

drphoto

« on: 21 Jun 2003, 04:01 pm »
Well Marbles had to go and start talking about vinyl. So I went out and borrowed my neighbors old Thorens TD145/Shure V15.

I don't know if it really sounds better than my digital rig (which is pretty near state of the art....a 'one off' Stan Warren modded Aiwa/MSB setup. This one was built for a friend of his, so it's totally tweeked)

But the vinyl setup had me wanting to dance around the room. There's just something magic about it I can't put my finger on. So I stayed up pretty much all night spinning tunes...even though I had an early photo shoot this morning.

Damn you Marbles, I was pretty set. But now I've got to go out and drop some cash for a TT and records.   : :evil:

jackman

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2003, 05:38 pm »
Very cool stuff Doc.   I have also become a vinyl junkie.  If you like Steely Dan, you may want to pick up a copy of Can't Buy a Thrill on vinyl.  I have it, along with about every SD recording on CD, and it's my favorite.

Take care!

J

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2003, 07:39 pm »
I still can't put my finger on it. With vinyl I just want to keep cranking it up....wish my Tempest went to "11" :)

With digital....I keep turning it down...

It really doesn't sound 'better'...it's just.....shit I don't know.....more...natural?

Everyone always talks about vocals.....I'm noticing how good the guitars sound.

Beezer

higher resolution?
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2003, 07:48 pm »
Isn't vinyl a higher resolution format?  I'm sure it depends on the playback equipment in terms of realized potential, but just taking into account a well produced and manufactured album vs. CD vs. SACD, which has the most information?

Beez

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2003, 03:31 am »
Welcome to the dark side Doc! I have the same "problem" with vinyl in that I tend to listen a higher levels than when employing a digital source. IMO part of the reason vinyl sounds good is the lack of digital artifacts and the fact that it's a continuous waveform.

The rhythm/pace/timing is, for me, noticeably better on LP's than CD or SACD despite the accuracy of a crystal clock vs a synchronous motor and a rubber belt.

Mike

Psychicanimal

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2003, 08:10 pm »
Quote from: mgalusha
Welcome to the dark side Doc! I have the same "problem" with vinyl in that I tend to listen a higher levels than when employing a digital source. IMO part of the reason vinyl sounds good is the lack of digital artifacts and the fact that it's a continuous waveform.

The rhythm/pace/timing is, for me, noticeably better on LP's than CD or SACD despite the accuracy of a crystal clock vs a synchronous motor and a rubber belt.

Mike

Well, in my case is just the opposite: a quartz lock DD turntable and a belt driven CD transport.  Once you try belt driven CDs you won't go back to DD transports... :mrgreen:

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2003, 01:57 pm »
NOOOOO, Doc, Don't do it!!!
Then you will have to wade through all those nasty LP adds at audiogon. :lol: