Is the Hurricane hype/panic a bit... 'overblown'?

neekomax

Seems to me that what will end up as a tropical storm (at least when it gets to Long Island where I live) is not really worthy of this kind of freak out.

What do you guys think?

(My house has been here since 1890. It was fine in the great hurricane of 1938, so I'm like, meh.)

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Is the Hurricane hype/panic a bit... 'overblown'?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2011, 03:53 pm »
Totally overblown ... if you're more than a mile inland, all you'll see if rain and 50-60mph winds max.  TV and Govt people just are getting worse and worse with every storm about over-dramatizing. 

... I am a Meteorologist btw

Haoleb

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2011, 03:56 pm »
Yeah. I would say so. The news just keeps replaying the same clips and saying its the hurricane to remember. I moved to maine from hawaii a year ago and I have dealt with many types of natural disasters there, earthquakes, tsunami's, hurricanes etc and everytime it was always blown out of porportion. Better safe than sorry they say but I think at least here in Maine its nothing to worry about. Probbably some rain and wind and downed trees but personally. Ive got a truck so i can go just about anywhere and am armed with plenty of tools to move downed trees or such. Have camping gear at my apartment so I can be pretty self sufficient. I did get a case of water and fill my truck up with gas however before I saw how inland it is predicted to go by the time it gets here...

neekomax

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2011, 03:59 pm »
Well, I'm about 1/4 mile inland from a bay, but I still am not worried at all. We get Nor'easters every year that blow hard. The trees are pretty well naturally selected by now. Flooding is probably the biggest concern, but unless we get a 20 ft. storm surge, I think it will be minimal. 

Got a full tank of gas, and have plenty of food. Don't think I'll need any of it, though.

tesseract

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2011, 04:48 pm »
I hate television and very rarely watch. Stations will do anything for ratings. The amount of poop that spits out of the tube, the effort, time and money spent making and watching this insanity amazes me almost as much as the millions of people that scoop it up. What a complete waste of time and humanity. What a stupid world we live in. Rant over.   :(

Check out this idiot. He is to be applauded according to the sensationalist talking head at the studio.   :roll:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/44297707#44297707

neekomax

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2011, 05:18 pm »
I hate television and very rarely watch. Stations will do anything for ratings. The amount of poop that spits out of the tube, the effort, time and money spent making and watching this insanity amazes me almost as much as the millions of people that scoop it up. What a complete waste of time and humanity. What a stupid world we live in. Rant over.   :(

Check out this idiot. He is to be applauded according to the sensationalist talking head at the studio.   :roll:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/44297707#44297707

:lol: Hahahahaha, that is so ridiculous. Send some dude to the beach during a hurricane to show how bad it is. Why don't they send him out onto the ocean in a rowboat? Maybe attach him to a weather balloon, see what it's like at 10,000 feet? Now that would be worthy of some applause.

They're showing that dude because unless you're on the beach, it's just not that bad.

Berto

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2011, 05:21 pm »
Based on what NY will prob get, I do think it's overblown but unfortunately I live right on the water in SE Long Island. My only concern is the storm surge/flooding that will occur with a new moon high tide. I also have no generator.  Bottom line > Inland Hilton hotel here I come.

neekomax

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2011, 05:24 pm »
Based on what NY will prob get, I do think it's overblown but unfortunately I live right on the water in SE Long Island. My only concern is the storm surge/flooding that will occur with a new moon high tide. I also have no generator.  Bottom line > Inland Hilton hotel here I come.

True, could be a problem right on the water. Best of luck to you.

I'm in Sag Harbor, by the way... you? 

Berto

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2011, 05:31 pm »
True, could be a problem right on the water. Best of luck to you.

I'm in Sag Harbor, by the way... you?

I'm South Bellmore.  Bout 1.5 miles south of the main road (Merrick rd) With a boat on a lift strapped down to the lift itself and the poles that go down into the earth. And everything cept furniture that is valuable is on the second floor, which of course includes all my gear :wink:

The more overblown it ends up being, the happier I will be!

This house survived Gloria in '85 and that was a Cat 2 so I think I'm good.

fredgarvin

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2011, 05:43 pm »
NOAA claims the winds are 85 MPH, but none of the Weather Underground stations in the area report higher than 33 MPH winds. By definition, this is not a hurricane – and is just barely a tropical storm.

http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2011/08/27/noaas-phony-hurricane-coming-on-shore-with-33-mph-winds/

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2011, 05:44 pm »
Is the Hurricane hype/panic a bit... 'overblown'?

I guess we'll find out in 24 hours.....good luck and..
.................keep those "brews" cold... :lol:  :beer:

rodge827

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2011, 06:46 pm »
I'm in S. Jersey on the east side of Rt9 in Little Egg Harbor Township.
We just got a MANDATORY EVACUATION request from our OEM "officials" :o.
I know most of these guys and believe me they seriously over rate their importance :roll:.
All the important stuff is on the second floor and we have plenty of water,ice,wine,food,and batteries.
Come on Irene!.....

ctviggen

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2011, 07:16 pm »
I don't know; our power has been out at least seven times in a year's time span.  Twice, long enough we had to throw away food.  We have no generator.  It's been a wet August.  The trees are ripe for dropping like flies, and I have a ton of trees all over the place.  Winds even near 60 mph with 8+ inches of rain could be a recipe for a long time without power.  We'll see.

kgturner

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2011, 08:59 pm »
Being a resident of coastal Alabama, I have lived through many hurricanes including Katrina. If you're far enough inland, flooding shouldn't be a concern. Storm surges can be 20+ feet easily. Irene is a large but rather weak hurricane. You'll mainly worry about wind/flying debris damage.

The part of the hurricane that really sucks is afterwards when you're out of power for up to a week and all the stores are still closed. My power was out for 4 days after Katrina and it is HOT in south Alabama. In those cases, minimize driving because any open gas station you'll be able to find will have a LONG line of cars.

The best part comes about way later when your home owner's insurance company decides it needs to recoup their money and they jack up your rates or drop you all together. Despite never making one claim on my home owner's insurance, I can attest to the fact that you are not in good hands, with Allstate.

Kevin T

djbnh

« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2011, 09:24 pm »
I'm in rural NH and find the slow moving and rain drenching Hurricane 1 level storm concerning. There's an abundance of pine and other trees on the five acre property (as well as the town road that I and the neighbors drive), some near the house, and sustained high winds / lots and lots of water / shallow pine roots & bruised branches do not mix. Three years ago an ice storm brought down a few trees on the house, including a huge pine that broke all three chimney flues - needed the entire chimney replaced, (as well as some rear roof pieces that were damaged by another tree - not to mention the 6-7 other trees downed that blocked the driveway, etc).

So, we're ok w/generator, lots of food, fuel to run the generator for four days before needing to get more, a chainsaw, etc. However, who knows how many trees will be downed, when power and commo will come back up, when roads closed due to water and downed trees / powerlines will be opened, etc. Anyway, that's my take on this.

john1970

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2011, 09:36 pm »
Frankly, I hope Irene weakens significantly before it hits NYC and Boston, but I fear this is not the case.  Trees can readily come down in 50 mph sustained winds so IMO this is not too overblown.  I prepared ahead by filling the car full with gas and purchasing 4 days of non-perishable food.  Let's hope for the best outcome.

Cheers,
John

milford3

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2011, 09:40 pm »
Let it rain.  I'm home listening to music with a Honda generator all gased up.  Maybe I can find hurricane music on Youtube. :lol:

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2011, 09:45 pm »
I'm South Bellmore.  Bout 1.5 miles south of the main road (Merrick rd) With a boat on a lift strapped down to the lift itself and the poles that go down into the earth. And everything cept furniture that is valuable is on the second floor, which of course includes all my gear :wink:

The more overblown it ends up being, the happier I will be!

This house survived Gloria in '85 and that was a Cat 2 so I think I'm good.

Hey Berto -- we got the mandatory evacuation as well in Massapequa. I'm NOT going! The "eye" is forecasted to go over Long Beach... My house survived Gloria as well... as long as the storm surge behaves, my gear should be safe  :thumb: ... if not, I've got giant HD plastic bags for the speakers & the amps & other gear heads to the attic!

Be safe -- Pete

soundbitten1

« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2011, 09:55 pm »
It's better to be safe than sorry.

Pez

« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug 2011, 10:11 pm »
I think the doubters should put their money where their mouth is and stand outside with a ripped shirt and crazed look in their eye shouting "IS THIS ALL YOU'VE GOT! COME AT ME YOU SUNAVABITCH!!!"