Jazz at the Pawnshop

BobM

Re: Jazz at the Pawnshop
« Reply #20 on: 11 Oct 2012, 01:22 pm »
Hey BobM can you provide some recommended music (as far as sound quality and muscianship) I'm looking to expand my collection of reference music.  :thumb:

Oh man, so many to choose from. OK, here's a few in a couple of different styles that are not in the typical audiophile lists; pick what suits you:

- Clayton Brothers - Back in the Swing of Things (horn based mowtown inflected jazz)
- anything by Big Phat Band (modern big band swing)
- Eric Bibb - Diamond Days (blues and voice)
- anything by Vienna Teng (pop/jazz female vocalist with a twist)
- Lee Ritenour - 6 String Theory (Rit and a bunch of guest artists in many styles)
- Eagles - Long Road out of Eden (somewhat recent release by them with great songs and sound)
- John McLaughlin - To the One (guitar fusion)
- John McLaughlin Trio - Live at the Royal Festioval Hall (acoustic fusion and percussion w/ Trilok Gurtu)
- Trilok Gurtu - Miles/Gurtu (jazz electronica and amazing percussion)
- Mavis Staples - You are Not Alone (gospel blues)
- anything by Oregon
- Pat Metheny - Secret Story (one of his solo albums)
- Robbie Robertson - How to Become Clairvoyant (blues inflected new songs by "The Band" lead)
- Tierney Sutton Band - American Road (just a great jazz & vocal album)
- Toots Thielmans - Brasil Project (jazz harmonica and bossa nova)

Enjoy,
Bob

rbbert

« Reply #21 on: 11 Oct 2012, 10:39 pm »
I have quite a few of those (McLaughlin's, Metheny, Oregon's, Eagles, Thielmanns) and while I certainly like the music, none of them have anywhere near the sound quality of Jazz At the Pawnshop, IMHO.

borism

« Reply #22 on: 12 Oct 2012, 01:21 am »
This is what AC is all about. Just got the CD from Amazon after reading here about it and love it. Thanks!

BobM

« Reply #23 on: 12 Oct 2012, 12:49 pm »
Maybe not the same "sound quality" but far better music and still very, very good sound quality. Perhaps the album that comes closest to Pawnshop that I know of is Bill evans at the Village Vanguard sessions (and much better music).

Rizzo

« Reply #24 on: 7 Aug 2013, 03:05 am »
Not trying to be facetious, but do any jazz fans out there feel - as I do - that JATP is a pretty lame performance?

elb

« Reply #25 on: 8 Aug 2013, 04:17 am »
Rizzo,I will second your opinion.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #26 on: 8 Aug 2013, 01:04 pm »
I find it entertaining.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #27 on: 8 Aug 2013, 07:11 pm »
Not trying to be facetious, but do any jazz fans out there feel - as I do - that JATP is a pretty lame performance?

I like don't mind some jazz, but there are many different genres of jazz, and not all are equally appealing.  JATPS is one of those albums I bought [when it first came out] because I bought almost anything that was well recorded for the sake of having a well recorded recording.  I bought a number of relatively expensive Opus 3 recordings, Sheffield Labs etc--and after a while I had to ask myself WTF?  Why am I paying a heavy premium for music I cannot stand?  Audiophillia is such a strange disease.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #28 on: 8 Aug 2013, 08:43 pm »
Jus so you know, everyone, anything on the Swedish Proprius label will have excellent sound. 

rbbert

« Reply #29 on: 8 Aug 2013, 09:47 pm »

I would say uninspired but competent.

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
« Reply #30 on: 8 Aug 2013, 09:53 pm »
...Nothing to write home about.

*Scotty*

« Reply #31 on: 8 Aug 2013, 11:45 pm »
The vinyl record probably has outstanding recording quality, the 1995 digital transfer is nothing special. The FIM XRCD release is very good and I can recommend it on the basis of its sound quality. I don't mind listening to the Jazz standards on this recording being played as written. Whether the interpretation of the music on the recording is your cup of tea or not will be a matter taste. There is a FIM Ultra HD version of Jazz at the Pawnshop available for a rather high price of $110 and $123 which is way more than I would pay for this particular recording.
Scotty

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 9 Aug 2013, 12:15 am »
Is our main gripe here the lack of SQ of JATPS, or the fact it's boring?   :scratch:

rbbert

« Reply #33 on: 9 Aug 2013, 02:36 am »
The vinyl record probably has outstanding recording quality, the 1995 digital transfer is nothing special. The FIM XRCD release is very good and I can recommend it on the basis of its sound quality. I don't mind listening to the Jazz standards on this recording being played as written. Whether the interpretation of the music on the recording is your cup of tea or not will be a matter taste. There is a FIM Ultra HD version of Jazz at the Pawnshop available for a rather high price of $110 and $123 which is way more than I would pay for this particular recording.
Scotty

What about the complete SACD set, or the HDtracks?

InfernoSTi

« Reply #34 on: 9 Aug 2013, 03:36 am »
I have both the SACD (ripped as DSD) and the HDTracks version at 24/88kHz which must be a PCM conversion of the SACD. 

The HDTracks copy sounds wonderful to me.  It is soft and delicate and detailed.  The SACD played back via DSD rip sounds different but equally wonderful.  More present...greater dynamics and realism. 

I guess the winner for me is the SACD version but I'm playing back via DSD rip.  I am not disappointed by the HDTracks copy at all. 

Best,
John

Rizzo

« Reply #35 on: 23 Oct 2013, 04:01 pm »
Bob in St.Louis:

I was referring to the performance itself.  The sound quality is exceptional IMO!

Just some background: I am a huge jazz fan, with tastes that lean toward much more adventurous sounds in jazz.  I simply find this performance, even in the context of very traditional/straight jazz, BORING.

Wind Chaser:

I agree that spending time listening to something you do not enjoy can be a drag.  I must admit that my interest in jazz is one that was won by spending a lot of time consciously trying to "get it", which I eventually did.  It is now my music of choice - go figure!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 23 Oct 2013, 04:08 pm »
Understood. Thanks for the confirmation.
When you say "adventurous sounds in jazz", what exactly do you have in mind?

Thanks!
Bob

BobM

« Reply #37 on: 24 Oct 2013, 12:44 pm »
I would bet he means nothing that you might hear at an audio show  :lol:

Just guessing, but here's some more "adventurous"  jazz artists/albums in several styles that still have had very good sound quality on their releases.

Nicholas Payton
Joshua Redman
Joey DeFrancesco
Trilok Gurtu
Tribal Tech
Bill Frisell
Eberhard Weber
Mike Stern

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 24 Oct 2013, 01:00 pm »
 :lol: Good point Bob!

I've heard of Redman and Frisell. I can't handle the majority of their tunes, but they each have a couple that I rank as my all time favorite jazz tubes.
I'll have to check out the rest, thanks man!

Bob