11" of Air - and controlling iTunes on another machine

JohnR

I was never able to quite see that an iPad was the right thing for me. The 11" Air, however, is what the Air should have been in the first place! Love it  :green:

Now, on topic, so far the only way I know if to "remote control" iTunes running on another machine (iMac) is by using Screen Sharing. It works, but it's clearly not optimal. I'm wondering if anyone has other ways of controlling iTunes from another Mac?

(I knew about this limitation before I bought it. I decided Screen Sharing was workable, just wondering if there are alternatives.)

dburna

Re: 11" of Air - and controlling iTunes on another machine
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2010, 01:50 am »
Would you please elaborate on the problems/limitations you found with screen sharing?  I was just about to embark on this effort and would like to know what challenges to face, etc.

Thanks in advance,  -dB

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2010, 01:53 am »
Hi, just screen size difference. My desktop is 2560xsomething, laptop is 1366x768. So you either have to scroll around, or shrink the desktop down.

DigitallyChallenged

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2010, 01:40 pm »
www.realvnc.com works well for me. I bought an ipad a month before the air prices dropped and now I regret the purchase. For mac mini server control a laptop is best IMO.

SwedeSound

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2010, 01:47 pm »
Is the other machine a Mac? Have you tried the home sharing feature? Click on iTunes --> Preferences --> Sharing. Turn it on and you should have access to the main library.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2010, 01:48 pm »
Oh, hi. Update on my thread - I figured out that the Apple remote desktop is actually VNC. So I'm not sure that there would be much to gain by using some other VNC client or server, unless it was a pre-10.5 machine. (I forget the details but I did look into it at the time...) I've tried setting up iTunes on the desktop on it's own spaces screen with a reduced size... but in the end it's easier to turnon the phone or walk upstairs to the actual desktop if I have to. If I'm at home I'm on the desktop more often than not anyway...

As for the new 11" Air... I (still) love it!! Perfect size for a portable computer, IMHO.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2010, 01:51 pm »
Is the other machine a Mac? Have you tried the home sharing feature? Click on iTunes --> Preferences --> Sharing. Turn it on and you should have access to the main library.

Home Sharing sucks as you can't view/run the playlists properly, but apart from that, it doesn't help to control an iTunes running on a different computer.

Crimson

« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2010, 06:09 pm »
John,

I'm really liking the portability and 3G access of the iPad, but I need to shed my regular MacBook. I'm eyeing the 11" Air and was wondering if you could give a little more detail on how it's working for you. If I can get some kind of wireless connectivity outside of wifi hotspots with it, I just may pick one up.

Thanks.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2010, 12:36 am »
Hi Joe - sure, what do you want to know? I love it, the screen seemed a little small at first but you get used to it pretty quickly. It seems a little zippier then the original model, not sure about the updated ones, but I find it fine for mobile work. I have Apache/MAMP running on it delivering Wordpress multi-site for development and it's fine for that too.

I use a USB broadband stick. This is actually more convenient than the old Air as you don't need to use an extender cable. And there's still a spare slot (woo hoo!). Only thing lost is the illuminated keyboard which I thought I'd miss but actually don't, in fact I'd forgotten about it until writing this.

morganc

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2010, 01:26 am »
I use the iTeleport app on my Ipad to run my Mac Mini and it works great.  It is quite easy to use and i think it will work on a laptop too, but not sure so check it out.   

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 9 Nov 2010, 09:50 am »
Hi, no it's iPhone and iPad only. Still a useful tip though ;)