M2Tech HiFace 24/192 USB->S/PDIF penstyle interface

srb

Re: M2Tech HiFace 24/192 USB->S/PDIF penstyle interface
« Reply #80 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:12 pm »
Well that would work for me, but obviously won't satisfy the crowd that feels you need a $500 USB cable in the mix.

Steve

ferenc_k

« Reply #81 on: 21 Feb 2010, 09:06 pm »
Well that would work for me, but obviously won't satisfy the crowd that feels you need a $500 USB cable in the mix.

Steve

It can be even better solution.

USB Ranger 2224 Multimode Fiber Extender

http://www.icron.com/products/usb_new/usb20-ranger-2224-fiber-extender.php

It is not so much more expensive than a 500 USD USB cable. The Cat5 version is even cheaper.  :)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #82 on: 21 Feb 2010, 09:27 pm »
Or looks like the USB Rover 200 will do a single 10meter run for $215.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #83 on: 21 Feb 2010, 10:42 pm »
It would be interesting to compare

1. Plugging the HiFace directly into the computer and using a BNC coaxial cable to a DAC with a BNC input

versus

2. Connecting the HiFace directly to the BNC input on a DAC and using a USB cable to connect to the computer.

Steve's question is interesting.  The HiFace could be connected directly to the BNC input of a DAC using a BNC female-BNC female adapter, and a female to male USB cable could be connected to the computer.

Would this be a better option than a BNC-terminated coax cable connecting a BNC-equipped HiFace to a BNC-equipped DAC?

I guess the question is what carries audio better, 75ohm coax cable or USB cable.  Hypothetically, the cable is 15'.

ferenc_k

« Reply #84 on: 22 Feb 2010, 08:32 am »
Steve's question is interesting.  The HiFace could be connected directly to the BNC input of a DAC using a BNC female-BNC female adapter, and a female to male USB cable could be connected to the computer.

Would this be a better option than a BNC-terminated coax cable connecting a BNC-equipped HiFace to a BNC-equipped DAC?

I guess the question is what carries audio better, 75ohm coax cable or USB cable.  Hypothetically, the cable is 15'.

According to my friend who is using the Altmann DAC this way, it sounds bloody good this way and he is even not interested to try the other way  :o

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #85 on: 10 Mar 2010, 09:35 pm »
I received a HiFace USB adapter with a BNC connector today, and the clicks are pretty bad.  I sent an email to M2Tech, but I suspect the HiFace is going back.  I am running Mac OS 10.6.2.

pardales

« Reply #86 on: 10 Mar 2010, 09:57 pm »
I received a HiFace USB adapter with a BNC connector today, and the clicks are pretty bad.  I sent an email to M2Tech, but I suspect the HiFace is going back.  I am running Mac OS 10.6.2.

I too had too many "pops" even with Snow Leopard. I guess they still haven't perfected their MAC drivers.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #87 on: 10 Mar 2010, 10:17 pm »
I too had too many "pops" even with Snow Leopard. I guess they still haven't perfected their MAC drivers.

Maybe I will buy Version 2 someday.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #88 on: 12 Mar 2010, 03:55 am »
I received an email from the manufacturer that suggested that I remove X11.  I removed X11, but this did not correct the problem.  (I actually wiped the disk and did a clean install of 10.6, then updated to 10.6.2, on a bare-bones computer.)
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2010, 05:00 am by oneinthepipe »

wilsynet

« Reply #89 on: 12 Mar 2010, 04:55 am »
Remove X11?  Absurd.

Is reporting that a vendor's product doesn't work and that their suggestions are ridicous, is that airing dirty laundry?

Audioclyde

« Reply #90 on: 12 Mar 2010, 12:39 pm »
Sorry I'm no help re clicks, but I've installed my new HiFace (BNC), using my Mac Mini (Snow Leopard).  With the latest Mac drivers installed, downloaded from the M2Tech site, I've had absolute no ticks or pops and its singing gloriously.

My mac mini is basically a dedicated music server (although its connected to 'net via wifi and I occassionally go online for cover art, etc.), so basically no other programs are typically running during listening sessions.

Good luck; to me the HiFace has been a great product.  I'm burning in a new silver BNC cable (got from Valab off Ebay), but even after a few hours the HiFace feeding my MW Transporter's BNC digi input (Amarra mini is the player) is definitely giving the ethernet connection with Squeezebox software as the player a run for the $....hope to do much more listening & comparison this weekend.

Randy

newzooreview

« Reply #91 on: 12 Mar 2010, 09:27 pm »
The clicks on the Mac are a serious issue. M2Tech wrote to me in January to tell me that they were aware of the problem and were working on a fix. They had isolated it to their drivers vs. any hardware issues (on the HiFace or the Mac). So far there has been no fix, and although some Mac users don't get clicks, it is a prevalent problem.

I've switched to a new DAC that doesn't need the HiFace, so I'm going to contact them about returning it since they never addressed the defect that they promised to fix during the trial period.

JDUBS

« Reply #92 on: 14 Mar 2010, 06:46 am »
I like the idea of coupling the M2Tech directly to the DAC via a male-to-male adapter.  Do away with the spdif cable and just use a usb cable for the entire run.

Anyone doing this?

-Jim

jaywills

« Reply #93 on: 14 Mar 2010, 01:54 pm »
Good morning, Jim, yes, that's the way I have my RCA hiFace attached to my TacT 2.2x (the TacT's multiple digital inputs allow me to compare a Squeezebox (wired) with my Mac's toslink digital out with the USB hiFace).  Can't tell a whole lot of difference between the hiFace run that way vs. USB>hiFace>rca coax>TacT.  Naturally, YMMV.  Good luck.  Cordially,

wilsynet

« Reply #94 on: 15 Mar 2010, 03:19 pm »
The clicks on the Mac are a serious issue. M2Tech wrote to me in January to tell me that they were aware of the problem and were working on a fix.

There's a thread on AudioAsylum which suggests that you may be able to fix the clicks and popping issue by either removing your USB peripherals or by ensuring that the M2Tech is isolated to its own USB controller.

I got my M2Tech last week, but my amplifier is in for a tune-up so I haven't been able to give it a whirl.

Housteau

« Reply #95 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:01 pm »
I see on Computer Audiophile that the latest drivers are apparently working and eliminating the popping from Macs.

Audioclyde

« Reply #96 on: 15 Mar 2010, 07:16 pm »
With the latest drivers I've had no problems-mac mini w snow leopard. Amarra mini feeding BNC digi input of MW Transporter.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #97 on: 16 Mar 2010, 12:41 am »
I received emails from Marco in which he indicated that a fix will likely not be forthwith.  He initially suggested that I remove Parallels and X11, and then he suggested that I use Pure Music.  He also experienced intermittent clicks on a MacBook. 

I understand that every Mac's OS is different, but I have rarely had difficulties with hardware components and the accompanying drivers.  There are times when a hardware component fails to operate on a updated version of the OS, but the manufacturers usually supply modified drivers.  The HiFace software, I believe, was initially designed for Snow Leopard, and the driver never worked correctly for many users.

Listening through the clicks the best that I could, however, I thought that the HiFace improved the sound significantly, and I hope that a modified driver is available in the future. 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #98 on: 16 Mar 2010, 02:23 pm »
I hear that there is a brand new driver that might correct the problem for Mac users.  I hope the new driver works, because this would otherwise be an excellent product, IMO.  I am keeping my fingers crossed. :D

Audioclyde

« Reply #99 on: 16 Mar 2010, 03:12 pm »
This may be 'old news', but have you guys seen the thread on the Computer Audiophile site--looks like some speculation that using an external HD for music files via FW (rather than USB) has solved the pop/click issue for some.....