DCGold drivers

guest1632

DCGold drivers
« on: 9 Jul 2008, 09:03 pm »
Hi, Has any one looked at these DC Gold drivers that Norh is starting to play with for there single speaker designs? The 7 inch driver is 35 to 20 K. That is a good spread.

Ray

Dmason

Re: DCGold drivers
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2008, 02:50 am »
I have a pair of the 7ND Reference, for evaluation, from Gold. These are the first run production units.

It is a VERY powerful driver, with Nd-ring magnet, and two focussing rings, and vented pole-piece.. It has a unique cast basket, and is as open in the back as possible.It has a very light alloy cone, covered in some secret grey compound which smells abit like old polyvinyl, and looks abit like gunite, and likely is doing double-duty as a damping compound, to reduce ringing, and also to weather-proof the driver. As a mere 7 inch driver, it could easily be considered as a high resolution, long-throw device. It clearly is a monster.

I am awaiting their measurements to build an alignment based on those measurements. On an open baffle, 15* off axis, with a Class A triode amp of 10 watts, it really is quite something. In a sealed box, it can take 300 watt peaks. I would like to hear it with a good Class A sand amp or Pass DIY type circuit. Hope this helps abit...

If they dont get back to me with measurements soon, I will send them out. I REALLY want to try these in a purpose-built BIB (Bigger Is Better) folded pipe/horn.

guest1632

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2008, 03:43 am »
I have a pair of the 7ND Reference, for evaluation, from Gold. These are the first run production units.

It is a VERY powerful driver, with Nd-ring magnet, and two focussing rings, and vented pole-piece.. It has a unique cast basket, and is as open in the back as possible.It has a very light alloy cone, covered in some secret grey compound which smells abit like old polyvinyl, and looks abit like gunite, and likely is doing double-duty as a damping compound, to reduce ringing, and also to weather-proof the driver. As a mere 7 inch driver, it could easily be considered as a high resolution, long-throw device. It clearly is a monster.

I am awaiting their measurements to build an alignment based on those measurements. On an open baffle, 15* off axis, with a Class A triode amp of 10 watts, it really is quite something. In a sealed box, it can take 300 watt peaks. I would like to hear it with a good Class A sand amp or Pass DIY type circuit. Hope this helps abit...

If they dont get back to me with measurements soon, I will send them out. I REALLY want to try these in a purpose-built BIB (Bigger Is Better) folded pipe/horn.

Hi, I would suggest you read the june newsletter from Norh.com. They make some strange looking speakers. Also then correspond with Mike himself. He might be able to give you some idea of the measurements. He told me they were freq response from 35 to 20K. The 10 incher is 30 to 20K. What sounds interesting is they have no typical speaker spider. I would think if constructed right, those puppies ought to really sing. Anyway, I thought i'd just pass that along.

Ray

tubesguy2

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2008, 02:42 pm »
If you're interested, you might search other forums for "Babb" to find info on these drivers.  I bought a pair of the 534s, but never got around to using them.

pepe

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2008, 06:33 pm »
Hi. Any luck so far (Dmanson) with getting messurment for the dcgold driver? Im very interessted of this driver.
Is a very good driver over all or is it just a bass monster. The bib thing sounds very nice!
How are higs and mid on this driver compared to jx92s if you have experience?
I hope my English is understandable  :scratch:

Best regards Pepe