Thanks to all!

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
Thanks to all!
« on: 8 Jul 2007, 09:18 pm »
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who made it over Saturday. Mike, what is the name of the woman on the cd you brought singing jazz? I want a copy! I really enjoyed the ProAc's. Amazing the bass response they were able to produce in a fairly large room. I want a pair. :) Anyway, we shouldn't wait so long to do it again.

Jazz and Baroque

Jacqui Naylor
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2007, 06:14 pm »
The CD was

Jacqui Naylor
Live East/West: Birdland/Yoshi's

2 CDs.  Amazon has it at $16

Merle, thanks for hosting the listening session.
Mike
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2007, 08:14 pm by Jazz and Baroque »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Thanks to all!
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2007, 02:56 am »
Merle,

Thanks for the hospitality and I hope you are feeling better.  I will post pictures as soon as I reduce the file size on the pictures.   :duh:

Den

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2007, 11:41 am »
I really enjoyed the ProAc's.
+1

Amazing the bass response they were able to produce in a fairly large room. I want a pair. :)
Here you go:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1188304868

The whole Rega system has that built-in synergy to make nice and pleasant music that could be listened to for hours.
+1

I would like to thank Merle for his great hospitality of entertaining a large crowd, even in the midst of his physical discomfort. Merle, I hope you feel better and get well soon.
+1  :)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2007, 12:16 pm »
i also had a great time, & want to thank merle for going above & beyond the call of duty, suffering from an uncomfortable skin rash, & grilling excellent italian sausages in oppressive heat.  well, at least i thought it was oppressive, until sunday, monday & today rolled around - it's yust getting worse!    :o

anyways, i agree that merle's all-rega system had an excellent synergy.  smooth, nice soundstage, plenty of detail.  especially in the sweet spot.  tho i didn't get the chance to listen to the rega tuna.   :lol:  nice as it was, i confess that i most preferred the rega rig when my tiny proacs were playing.  even tho they couldn't reproduce chinese drummers at any appreciable wolume w/o bottoming out their 4.5" woofers.  on all normal music, the bass was excellent.  tho i still prefer using a sub, even w/full-range floorstanders.  and, for those who may say i am biased, because they're mine, all i can tell you is that, in merle's system, the proacs outshined my diapason adamantes lll's, which retail for ~2.5 times the price of the proacs.  hell, i think every other speaker we listened to sounded better in that rig than my diapasons.  which once again goes to show that room & system synergy play a paramount roll in getting good sound.   :wink:

i also enjoyed listening to rim's single-driver omega hemps - excellent midrange, & i was not feeling i was missing any extreme highs.  the lows were also good - only a subwoofer addict such as myself would have any issues at all.   :wink:

i unfortunately didn't get to hear the quad monitors, all except for the tail end of one tune.  too much gear, not enough time.  but, my impression was a siimilar sound to the regas, if not quite as full-range.  merle's regas - small floorstanders - really impress w/full-range sound, using their side-firing 7" driver.  for someone w/a small to medium sized room, not wanting to mess with subs, & not wanting to spend a ton of money, these 3-way regas might be yust the ticket.  and, they will play music like chinese drummers at decent wolumes, something my 50% more expensive proacs' cannot do.   :D

speaking of the proacs, i would pass on the ones linked to agon, above.  that price is in euros, which equates to $1700 plus shipping.  may as well buy local, if you're paying retail.  but, patience will let you nab a used pair for ~$1200, ime...

thanks again, merle, for a nice afternoon.

doug s.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2007, 02:24 pm »
Merle,

Thanks for the hospitality and thoroughly enjoyable listening session.  Of all the speakers we listened to, I preferred your Regas --maybe because of system synergy but I'd like to hear them in a different system to see if they still measure up.  I loved hearing the Beatles Love on LP, too.

Scott

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2007, 08:15 pm »
Here are some pictures I promised.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81752816@N00/?saved=1

Does this link work?

Jazz and Baroque

photos
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2007, 08:24 pm »
Yup, it works.

Thanks,
Mike

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2007, 11:50 pm »
hi rim,

the link works fine, but i know there were more pics of equipment & stuff...   :wink:

doug s.

Here are some pictures I promised.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81752816@N00/?saved=1

Does this link work?