9.0s in Active Mode

jbgcpa

9.0s in Active Mode
« on: 17 Apr 2003, 05:24 pm »
I would appreciate any comments on changes/improvements anyone has experienced in taking their 9.0s active.

It is a rather expensive upgrade and wondered whether you thought it was worth it.  If you had to do over, would you do it again?

Thanks,
Jack

tkp

9.0s in Active Mode
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2003, 06:15 pm »
For me the active amping 9.0 is a vast improvement over the passive mode one.  The most cost effective way to active amping the 9.0 is through used a pair of Multiamps.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
9.0s in Active Mode
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2003, 06:18 pm »
Agree w/tkp.

jbgcpa

9.0s in Active Mode
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2003, 06:47 pm »
Could you comment on specifically what was achieved?

Would you say that 9.0s in active mode eliminates the need for a sub?  I know that is a subjective subject unto itself.

I already have a pair of LeAmps.  I would probably look to pick up another pair.  Perhaps those looking to dump the original LeAmps in favor of the LAII may make that a cost effective way to go.  

Thanks,
Jack

nathanm

9.0s in Active Mode
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2003, 07:15 pm »
Quote from: jbgcpa
Would you say that 9.0s in active mode eliminates the need for a sub?

Subjectively speaking - HELL NO!  :)  A second pair of amps does not a whole other speaker make!  Unless of course you are satisfied with the frequency response you are getting but not the amplitude.  In that case goosing the woofer louder might be an improvement, but there's no way biamping could magically substitute for the air a subwoofer moves. (Besides, you'd be goosing everything from the bass up until the crossover point, which is I believe 2K.  So technically it wouldn't be like a bass boost) I've seen this time and time again in my system.  No matter what, the sub ALWAYS helps.

tkp

9.0s in Active Mode
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2003, 08:54 pm »
Quote from: jbgcpa
Could you comment on specifically what was achieved?

Would you say that 9.0s in active mode eliminates the need for a sub?  I know that is a subjective subject unto itself.

I already have a pair of LeAmps.  I would probably look to pick up another pair.  Perhaps those looking to dump the original LeAmps in favor of the LAII may make that a cost effective way to go.  

Thanks,
Jack

It will depend on the room size and what you will use the marble 9.0 for.  For music and in a small to medium size room, you probably will not need a sub.  However, you will need a sub for movie regardless of room size.  Keep in mind that you will need an external active crossover if you want to use LAs to drive the marble 9.0 in active amping mode.   This is one of the reason why a pair of used MAs is a good value in this case because the MA has built-in active crossover.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
9.0s in Active Mode
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2003, 09:02 pm »
biggest areas of difference I noted were in clarity (better detail) and soundstage (more precise images).  Bass was also tighter, but I was also using them with a pair of subs, so it was mainly the upper bass that was tighter sounding.

In a small room that doesn't open to larger spaces, you're fine with the 9.0's at moderate volumes.  For loud volumes, or in a medium to large room, and especially for HT, you'll need a sub.

jbgcpa

9.0s in Active Mode
« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2003, 01:01 pm »
Thank you nathanm/Tyson/tkp for your input.

I do use a single sub for ht in a medium sized room that connects to larger space, and sometimes use the sub for music depending upon the material and production quality, but I do notice it can be better (more musical) when I don't use the sub.  I suspect that must be owing to the quality (or lack thereof) of the sub and/or its ability to mate properly with the 9s.

I seem to remember MB liking the 9s without sub(s), but he can correct me or confirm his opinion on that.  

Jack

TheChairGuy

9.0s in Active Mode
« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2003, 05:53 pm »
I use a pair of MultiAmps on active mode with non-Norh monitor speakers...

By no means are the MA's world class fella's, but they improved things overall in active mode.  What they did for me is make me more aware what is missing in the music by adding clarity and fullness...so I'm now shopping for a subwoofer because of active crossovers to find the last two octaves.  How's that for something of reverse logic on your question?

Anyhow, active crossover, better stands, upgrades - they are all part of our illness we collectively suffer from and confess to on Audio Circle.

It's all good. Enjoy.

Xi-Trum

9.0s in Active Mode
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2003, 06:09 pm »
Well, if you biamp the 9.0 with a sub, make sure you hi-pass the 9.0.  When you free the little woofers from playing bass, you'll find that the 9.0 will sound even cleaner and less colored.