AirPort Express or Squeezebox II?

ctviggen

« on: 2 Sep 2005, 04:28 pm »
Which one of these is best for:

(1) listening to music on the OK system that fills the upper floor of the house with sound; or
(2) listening to music on the much more expensive HT/2 channel system in a (partially) sound treated room.

I have an iPod and iTunes, but the Squeezebox looks interesting.  I could get one for upstairs and one for downstairs, HT (and perhaps get this modded).  It would be nice to be able to play any song at any time.

duff138

« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2005, 04:35 pm »
good question.  I was wonder the same.  I also wonder how it compares to simply plugging an Ipod, with lossless audio, using the line out into a good set-up.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2005, 04:42 pm »
Bob,

I plan to get the wireless SB2 and run it through my DAC for now.  I may mod it or I may not but having all of my CD's being available is very enticing. Since my PC is on a different floor, fan noise and all that should be no issue.  I am going to try to use a HP hospital power supply (Thanks Doug) with the unit and see how it sounds through my DAC......

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2005, 05:05 pm »
Woodsyi,

Let me know your thoughts on using the Squeezebox this way.

Duff,

That's what I do now -- carry the iPod to the system upstairs.  I even bought a quite fancy cable to connect the iPod to the Creek integrated I have.  But if you move the iPod a bit, you can lose a channel sometimes.  Also, I typically listen at work to the iPod, so it's not always at home.  Plus, it'd be nice to have my fiance be able to set up her own listening menus and such and be able to listen to her own music (not that her music is bad, but it's a bit more "mainstream" than what I typically listen to, although she has broadened my musical tastes somewhat).

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2005, 06:41 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
Bob,

I plan to get the wireless SB2 and run it through my DAC for now.  I may mod it or I may not but having all of my CD's being available is very enticing. Since my PC is on a different floor, fan noise and all that should be no issue.  I am going to try to use a HP hospital power supply (Thanks Doug) with the unit and see how it sounds through my DAC......

I thought the stock SB2 made an excellent transport feeding my TacT preamp.  In fact, I liked it so much, I decided to have the SB2 modified to bring it to an even higher performance level.

Yes, it is quite nice having your collection at your fingertips and being able to listen to any song or cd within a couple clicks of a remote or mouse.

The only negative is the amount of time it takes to rip your collection.

George

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2005, 06:53 pm »
George,

Are you running a wireless one?  If so, no dropouts?  For your mods, is it just power supply or are you modding digital out, too?  I am assuming no anolog out mod since you are feeding your TACT.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2005, 07:05 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
George,

Are you running a wireless one?  If so, no dropouts?  For your mods, is it just power supply or are you modding digital out, too?  I am assuming no anolog out mod since you are feeding your TACT.

I am using wireless and have yet to have a single dropout.  The SB2 is in my basement and my wireless router is two floors away on the second floor.

My SB2 has been modified by Red Wine Audio to run on a battery and the rca socket was upgraded to a WBT Silver NextGen.

You are correct about no analog or dac mods since I feed the TacT.  The SB2 basically has become my transport.

George

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2005, 08:37 pm »
I use the AE wirelessly with AAC and Apple Lossless.  No dropouts.  I feed into the DACs on my receiver.  The old receiver had lock up issues because of a software problem, the newer one has no issues.  The optical output on the AE was a notable difference over the analog which sounded a little compressed and less transparent than the optical feed.  Not much room for a great analog section in that box!

jon_010101

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2005, 09:29 pm »
I also use an Airport Express for "background music", but without a DAC.  Even then it does not sound objectionable (I agree with John's description), but not really "high end" either.  For the slick implementation and ease-of-use, I would definitely recommend one.  I look forward to buying an outboard DAC for mine.

Ferdi

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2005, 12:17 pm »
Hi, I am thinking about this way of playing music as well. I have an AE connected to the main system but find I don't use it much (for music).

Sound quality is fine for me. Not as good as my CDP but OK for non-critical listening. The thing that kills it for me is that my Mac is a laptop that I carry around the house and would be my only interface to the music. That is just not very practical.

I have high hopes that the Squeezebox2 is much better in that regard as it allows control, provides feedback on what is playing and is a more standard component to look at.

I don't have an SB2 but plan to get one in the near future.

Ferdi