Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?

HarleyMYK

Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« on: 11 Apr 2003, 11:25 pm »
Are there any Le Amp IIs at the Midwest Audiofest?  Any initial impressions?

Thanks!

byteme

Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2003, 05:14 am »
Yes, please!!  I'm very interested too!  Especially as it would compare to an amp like the Odyssey Stratos!

Thanks.

ABEX

Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2003, 05:19 am »
Harley I am waiting myself for impressions.I am looking for amps to use in a Vertical amp setup on which case if the impressions are positive I will end up getting 3 sets.
If they can be tweeked with better components at minimal cost I will still buy them.
If feedback states they are alittle better than the original LeAmps I would look elsewhere.

One positive that I have found is that good SOTA amps are able to double their power rating with each halveing of Impedance and according to MB they do just that.

Also the Transistors that are used are first rate,so there is hope that they shall deliver,but do not get your hopes up because someone stated that in order to get world class amps the Caps,resistors and transformers would cost $400 easily in order to make a world class amp.

I am hopeing also though!

Regards,ABEX :wink:

mbarnes

• http://www.norh.com
Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2003, 11:07 am »
We are here at the show.  We are showing Le Amp IIs and the ACA 2b.  We were a bit nervous because customs took apart one of our amps and didn't put it back together before packing it up.  When we tested it, it would not work.  

We were able to get it working again.

ABEX

Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2003, 05:13 pm »
The following is a question I posed to a designer at another BB and this goes to show how good this design is if what MB states is fact or even close to the ability of the amp---ENJOY!
========================================

I remember reading that a one benchmark about how good an amp is can be measured at how much power can be deliverd when Halfing the Impedance rating. As an example lets say an amp is stated to deliver 200watts at 8ohms and then delivers 400watts at 4ohms then deilver 800wats into 2ohms.Does the ability to double it's rated output that way tell you anything about the amps ability besides being able to drive a wider range of speakers? TIA,ABEX  

Actually, it tells you several things.

1. It tells you the designer was using his head while working, and recognizes the fact that nasty things like impedance drops, phase shifts, etc actually do exist, operate in real life like it or not, and attempt to modify the amp's performance into real world speakers, as opposed to lab test loads (usually a bank of high power resistors);

2. It tells you the power supply of that amp has been really well done, no skimping. No output stage can deliver real world power into real world speakers if it doesn't have an enbergy pool to draw that power from;

3. It tells you the output section in particular, but also the whole amp, has been concieved with proper capability to negotiate even very difficult loads, which gives you freedom to choose among speakers according to taste, and not to have to think about drive capabilities, and

4. It tells you the amp's performance, such as distortion and frequency response, will be modified very little by even evil loads, which is a hallmark of any good design.

As a sideline, it also tells you whoever designed it, was one competent designer and worthy of respect.

On the other hand, however important that is, it's not the only factor deciding on the overall quality of the sound. Let me put it this way - such an amp stands a better chance of sounding good than another without such capabilities.

This means the amp's dynamics will not be curtailed by less than perfect loads, and that it will in fact drive almost anything somebody decided to call a speaker.

Cheers,

ABEX

Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2003, 05:15 pm »
Unless a real negative appears from another source I will be getting a set of these amps then add another 2 sets in the near future! :D

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2003, 10:21 pm »
Ditto, ABEX.  I'm getting at least a pair, maybe more if I like them and my gear budget allows.  I've considered 5 of them for HT, too.

Rocket

leamp II
« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2003, 12:00 am »
hello,

i received an email from a friend who indicated they are excellent, even compared to kilo buck other products.

i'd be interested in finding out who designed the amp tho.

regards

rod

ABEX

Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2003, 02:06 am »
Rocket:
Mike Barnes .You can read the news at their site and also at their BB here at AC.

Everything seems like a go so far,but I still want confirmation from a few independent sources.

:wink:

Rocket

leamp II
« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2003, 05:22 am »
hello abex,

are there any persons you trust from audiocircle that may be able to help you.  what about guys like pez, tyson etc they do quite reasonable reviews on products.

regards

rod

ps where do you live in the us?

ABEX

Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2003, 05:24 am »
I confered with Marbles and he is suppose to get back to me on them!

ABEX

Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2003, 05:25 am »
It is really driving me nuts also because I want 3 sets if they are as good as MB states they are,but some seem to think he is blowing smoke!

ABEX

Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2003, 05:32 am »
Rocket:
If you read the response I recieved from another designer then going by the specs and parts that MB is using they cannot be bad,but I really need to know weather they outclass the original LeAmps which have gotten a lukewarm exceptance from some that have owned and heard them including yourself. :|

As stated in the response from the designer that wrote me if an amp can Double it's output when halfing it's impedance then they should have no problem as being great amps.Another thing is if MB used a Berning as a Benchmark and they equaled or surpassed them then they should be real killers! :wink:

Still waiting on feedback! 8)

ABEX

Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #13 on: 13 Apr 2003, 06:05 am »
Rocket:
One last thing you might want to know is that I had conferd with MB as to what kind of sound I was looking for. :)

I cannot live with amps that have veiling. :x I have listend to plenty of affordable amps and they all have a veiling to them.After living with my modified B&K ST-202 for 13yrs. I will never go back to what might be considerd Mid-Fi sound.If I wanted that I could go get a receiver.Anthem,Adcom,Rotel and HK are some of the amps I have listend to lately.NAD always sounded spitty to me.  :cry:

If I wanted veiling and darkend sound I'd go get an HK receiver. :oops:

What I am after is Iron Fisted Bass control ,Liquid Midrange and detailed Treble info.I know I am asking alot,but with the right amplification my speakers can give it in spades.Mark Levs,Nelson Pass,Threshold and Krells all have great traits that give it.If these amps come close then they are worth it. Mark Levs are the best amps I have heard with my speakers,but they are also some of the most costly.

So that is what I have to say and I think these amps are a viable solution for Vertical amping if there is good feedback.I have heard no negatives,but neither has there been any positve opinions with the exception of what MB has state or the relevant opinion of designers I have confered with. :?

I know the original LeAmps would not satisfy what I need for the speakers I have.but I think they are alot different just by the specs alone tells me they cannot be world class amps(original LeAmps) like these can be. :roll:

Hope that helps! 8)

Rocket

leampII's
« Reply #14 on: 13 Apr 2003, 09:30 am »
hello abex,

why not buy 1 pair of monoblocks so you can decide for yourself, hifi is such a personally subjective hobby that it is best to make up your own mind.

specifications really only provide half the truth you should read the faq at aspen amplifiers, hugh dean goes into great detail about specifications of amplifiers.

at $400 us the leamp II is cheap enough for you to take a chance and listen to it for yourself and make up your own mind.  norh do have a 30 day return policy.  in the past 12 months i have taken a leap of faith and bought the aksa amp and perpetual technologies dac and i have been pleased with both products.

best wishes

rod

mbarnes

• http://www.norh.com
Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #15 on: 13 Apr 2003, 09:58 am »
The designer of the amplifer is Thai.  His company builds the switching power supplies we use in our computer.  His main business was making car stereos and car stereo amplifiers.

He is an audiophile and has worked on several designs.  

I talked to him about what is his reference sound and what is he trying to achieve.  He said that his inspiration is Nelson Pass.  His amplifiers are somewhat refined from the original STASIS designs as implemented by Nakamichi.  He said that his designs use a topology similar to the Nakamichi amplifiers but with several enhancements and newer devices.

I have not compared Le Amp IIs against Le Amps and really don't want to do that.  I would prefer to let customers make comparisons.

What I can say is that I liked Le Amps because I thought they had good power, sounded quite smooth and had good bass.

I do not find many solid state amplifiers that I like.  Even some very expensive amplifiers have a hint of edginess that I don't like.  

I do like the sound of Le Amp II.  I think it is quite smooth. The bass response is well controlled and the midrange is quite natural.

For some reason, our website is down and I am trying to figure out what is going on.

ABEX

Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #16 on: 13 Apr 2003, 01:11 pm »
Rod:
Looks like that is what I will have to do seeing that your own personal ears are the final judge along with the equiptment synergy.

Seeing that i am looking for a few sets it makes it kind of difficult to go long for something that has not been heard yet. I have bought stuff I have taken chances on without hearing and have been fortunate with the decisions I had made with a few exceptions.

The ASKA amps have gotten good feedback and your lucky to have found something that has worked for you and your system in which case I would stick with it unless you find something more suitable.

Thx!:?

ABEX

Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #17 on: 13 Apr 2003, 01:34 pm »
Mike:
   It looks like I will take the plunge as as soon as a check I recieved clears and I am able to order through your site. :D

Everything I have read seems to be positive as far as the feedback of the design features and specs. I did get to see the NAK STASIS amp,but that was not a Pass STASIS amp from what I gatherd from reviewers as far as sound, like a Pass amp truely is suppose to be.I do not know why that was. Weather due to inferior parts or shortcuts made to keep down cost or because of speakers reviews used.Thats ok as I never considerd buying one.

One of the most respected dealers I had ever known recommended Thresholds to me before they were ever were really mainstream so I do respect his designs along with some of the other notables like Danny Ag. (Krell) and John Curl (Parasound).So if the designer has created somehting worthy of their compliments then I look forward to seeing weather they are truely world class amps and weather they can drive my speakers which up till a few years ago were considerd by some to be world class speakers.

The speakers that I am using are modified NEAR M50's(built by the end of april) which are the most advanced set to date.They pose a difficult load as they do dip to the 2ohm level at some points on the plot.They are not as difficult as Apogees ,but they shall be a good test.  

I look forward to hearing them!

Regards,ABEX :wink:

Johng316

Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #18 on: 14 Apr 2003, 07:03 pm »
ABEX,

We are all looking forward to your assessment and review!   8)

Regards,

John G

Johng316

Any Le Amp IIs at MWAF?
« Reply #19 on: 14 Apr 2003, 07:03 pm »
ABEX,

We are all looking forward to your assessment and review!   8)

Regards,

John G