Looking for small device w/6 db gain to go between buffer and main amp

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
I unfortunately have fallen in love with some VERY inefficient speakers, Sound-Lab A-3s.  I have fed 3 amps a full signal and it is not loud enough, although on some recordings it is OK.  The maker of my buffer, Radu Tarta, said it could not be remade to give me the power output I need to drive the amps. For several years I have used a passive volume control (Tortuga) into the buffer, then into the amp feeding 96 dB efficient speakers.  I really don't want to change my system but I may be forced to find a nice preamp with remote volume AND balance, as the Tortuga provides.  Before I start that no doubt expensive journey I want to see if there is a device that might solve this issue.  Any ideas are appreciated.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
What is the input sensitivity of the 3 amplifiers?
If you don't know, what are the amplifiers?

seikosha

Decware Zstage?  If you need gain/voltage it’s actually a very useful device. 

richidoo

Voltage determines loudness level, not current. You need more voltage gain in your electronics, which is exactly what you're seeking with the +6dB gadget. Moar voltage!

https://www.soundlabspeakers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/A3-Gordon-Holt-Sept-1986.pdf

They're only 76dB/w efficient, but it's only rated for 100 watts input power. Unfortunately, that means they can't play loud as you want no matter how you adjust the electronics. The theoretical maximum SPL at 100W is around 95dB. So uncompressed popular music (classic rock) will need to play with volume set around 80-85dB to accommodate peaks at speaker max power rating. Classical symphonies will sound mostly like 70dB to allow headroom for the finale peak. And because it's a panel speaker, as you approach full rated power the dynamic peaks will get more compressed, so you're kinda swimming backwards upstream.

If you like loud dynamic music then you need different speakers with a lot more SPL headroom. Fortunately, speakers have evolved significantly since then, so you have a lot of choices.

What's a good 6dB gadget? imo, Most of the inexpensive ones sound pretty bad, like burson, etc.
If you can DIY, or know someone who can, then make a simple LM4562 preamp with 10dB voltage gain. It could be powered with a 9V or 12V battery. One opamp plus a couple resistors, battery, i/o jacks and a box. <$100. There might be enough control voltage inside the Tortuga to power the opamp and wire it right inside.

Similar idea but the electronic design is already done, but it's more complex than you need with BAL I/O
https://neurochrome.com/products/universal-buffer

I don't know of any inexpensive finished goods preamp with 10dB gain that's good enough for high end audio.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Thanks to all - just ordered a Decware Zstage - looks like it might be just the ticket.  If not, it's returnable.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Well, forget the Zstage.  Decware says it will take 6 to 8 months for them to build me one, due to a large backlog of orders, some almost 2 years old.

JohnR

Tortuga have https://tortugaaudio.com/products/diy-preamp-components/sspb-v2-solid-state-preamp-buffer-board-kit/
that "Comes equipped with an optional dual (2 channel) op amp input stage that can be set up as a unity gain buffer or as a gain stage with fixed gain via plug-in gain modules."

Maybe it could even be retrofitted to your existing passive?

Rusty Jefferson

Tortuga have https://tortugaaudio.com/products/diy-preamp-components/sspb-v2-solid-state-preamp-buffer-board-kit/
that "Comes equipped with an optional dual (2 channel) op amp input stage that can be set up as a unity gain buffer or as a gain stage with fixed gain via plug-in gain modules."

Maybe it could even be retrofitted to your existing passive?
That's certainly worth a phone call to see.

Take a look at a Linear Tube Audio Microzotl 2 or 3. I see a couple used available online. Gain is variable depending on the input/driver tubes used. I believe about 6db with 12au7 and 10db with 12at7. Super low output impedance (50 ohms as a preamp) you can eliminate the buffer and a set of interconnects. I used one to drive a bi-amp system no problem. Very dynamic and great tonality. I don't think the 2 has balance but the 3 does.

timind

• permanent vacation
The Bottlehead Moreplay provides 9db of gain and sounds great, very transparent. Of course you have to build it.

I.Greyhound Fan

This Burson active interconnect fits the bill.  They have 6db of gain. 

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649912054-burson-audio-cable-pro-22-active-cable/

I was a beta tester and it works and sounds good.  Obviously, YMMV.

These in the ad seem way better built than the free cables that I was given.  I used them with a Pass B1 Buffer/preamp with 0 gain.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
I contacted Morten at Tortuga.  He is adding a board to my passive that will give it 12 dB gain.  I am hoping that will be the end of this.