What Eighth Nerve Solution do I need?

tbabb

« on: 21 Apr 2005, 01:19 am »
I'm seeking advice on how I can improve the acoustics of my listening room and what recommended products to use.

Problems I note are:

Different ceiling height above listening area
Drywall covering septic that creates yet another corner
Uneven side to side area, wall on one side, open on other
Support beam to left of listening chair

I can supply details of my system if that matters.  

Here is a link to my listening room.

http://home.comcast.net/~tim.babb/Room/Room.html

I'd like to get started right away, but I don't mind waiting for the new products soon to be released if they would benefit my situation.

Thanks much.

Tim
Elgin, Illinois

Hantra

« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2005, 01:57 am »
Tim:

Nice system man!  And nice room too!  

If it were me, I'd start with a Roompack and hit the hot spots.  You may be waiting another four years for the new products.   :wink:

You don't have a bad room really, but you have a lot of corners.  You probably should start there.  Perhaps Nathan can chime in with more advice, or an update on new product. .  

L8r,

B

tbabb

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2005, 12:39 pm »
Brandon,

Thanks.  I sent a email to Nathan, so maybe he'll chime in.  

One weakness I sense in my system is a lack a reproducing the acoustical space of the original venue.  I don't usually hear that slight reverberation that allows the system to breath.  I'm hoping this can be corrected with acoustical treatments.

On a side note, did Music Direct just recently stop carrying Eighth Nerve products?  I seen EN products in the last Music Direct mailer, but seem to be missing from the web site.

Tim

8thnerve

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:06 pm »
Quote from: Hantra

You may be waiting another four years for the new products.   :wink:

Harsh!  Actually some are shipping out now, but I am waiting to complete the new website for the "grand release."  The product is done, just a few minor details regarding supporting the product via literature, etc.  Hantra, you should call and set something up...

8thnerve

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:08 pm »
Quote from: tbabb

On a side note, did Music Direct just recently stop carrying Eighth Nerve products?  I seen EN products in the last Music Direct mailer, but seem to be missing from the web site.

Our prices are being updated and the new product info is being assimilated I assume.

8thnerve

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:13 pm »
Tim,

You do have a lot of corners to deal with in that space.  Depending on your budget, the current Response line or the new Adapt line or a mixture of both will help tremendously in that room, and that reverb you seek will appear out from under the distortion as we reduce it.  You'll also get great gains in terms of soundstage, tonality, and an easy, effortless sound.

Email me to discuss more details, and take a few pictures of the other sides of the room, we'll need to see the whole picture to make the best recommendations.

Best Regards,

Nathan Loyer
Eighth Nerve

tbabb

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:30 pm »
Nathan,

Thanks for the reply.  I'll take the photos tonight and email them off to you or post them on the web site.  

Tim Babb

tbabb

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2005, 05:56 am »
Well I gave Nathen the go ahead on an order for an Adapt and Response  solution combo. Mostly Adapt and a couple of Response in a less critical area.  

If Nathan ships when he said he will, I should be ready to post results late next  week.  

Stay tuned.... I have a feeling I will like what the result will be.

No Disc

JCC

My 8th Nerve Room
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2005, 06:53 pm »
My 8th Nerve treated room also has a different heighth wall to wall above the listening area, and a lot of corners. Like you I asked Nathan and treated the room. The results are nothing short of miraculous. You can read my review on the Critics Circle. Pictures are in my gallery.

This stuff really works, and you will hear things that amaze you. Everything in the room clearer from music to cell phone conversation.

Please let me know how you like the results.

tbabb

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2005, 03:37 pm »
So far the results are positive. I have some equipment and tubes that are breaking in, so I'll wait until the break-in is complete before making any final conclusions.

I will say that from what I have heard, I doubt I will be returning the product.

No Disc

8thnerve

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2005, 12:44 pm »
Tbabb, I am glad you are enjoying the results.  Remember that we only treated the corner of your very large room that your two channel system resides in.  The Eighth Nerve products work best as an entire room approach.  While a partial treatment does indeed yield improvement, the results are cumulative, so the closer you get to a complete room package, the better the results will be.

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2005, 01:06 pm »
Quote from: 8thnerve
The Eighth Nerve products work best as an entire room approach.  While a partial treatment does indeed yield improvement, the results are cumulative, so the closer you get to a complete room package, the better the results will be.

This is definitely true.  I wrote in a different thread about impacts made at each stage as I installed the new Adapt products (first the corners, then the seams, then the front/rear seams).  But with everything installed, there's definitely a sense that the impact is somehow "greater than the parts".  I'm finding things like my speaker placement is less sensitive to front-wall distance than before, off-axis listening holds together better/sweetspot is enlarged, etc.

tbabb

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2005, 02:25 pm »
8th Nerve,

Can you provide more details as to what locations and how many corners and triangles I would need.  If you could do a modified picture as before, that would help out a great deal.

Tim

8thnerve

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2005, 12:41 pm »
Quote from: tbabb
8th Nerve,

Can you provide more details as to what locations and how many corners and triangles I would need.  If you could do a modified picture as before, that would help out a great deal.

Tim

recommendation discussion via email...