From QuatraVox to Straight Wire

15KHZ

From QuatraVox to Straight Wire
« on: 7 Oct 2022, 02:33 am »
When I started this hobby back in 1978 I pursued products that would add effects to make the music "sound better". This started with Realistic's ambient 4-channel Quatravox unit, and later included multiple ADC Sound Shaper equalizers, DBX Impact Restorers & Dynamic Range Expanders, Carver/Sunfire holographic imaging products and Definitive Tech's 6-chan surround system with bipolar towers.  I finally noticed that the music sounded best when all the effects were bypassed. Since then, I've stripped down to a pair of Spendor SA1's and a Nuforce DDA-100 integrated amp, which I'm at long last upgrading to a Nuprime AMG-STA amp and a Bluenode streamer. I'll splurge on a worthy DAC when I've recovered from these purchases.

While I'm a bit embarrassed that I spent so much time and money pursuing junk tech, it was its own sort of fun.  I wonder how many others started from maximum effects processing and arrived at a clean system with just a volume pot. Please share your experiences with goofy audio tech.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: From QuatraVox to Straight Wire
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2022, 02:35 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2022, 02:28 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2022, 02:01 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC 15KHZ  :thumb:

15KHZ

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2022, 06:28 am »
Thanks! Nice to be here.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2022, 12:16 pm »
Welcome!

Started about the same time, but never went the "sound better" route.  Went the digital ready route (dynamics, bass performance).  In the last 20 years have gone the "room" and more "minimalist gear" routes.