Any experienced CAD guys around here?

Folsom

Any experienced CAD guys around here?
« on: 10 May 2022, 05:12 am »
Sooo who we got?

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Any experienced CAD guys around here?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2022, 07:01 am »
I've spent some serious hours clicking away on Autocad. I was a Civil Engineering student and spent a few years drafting at an engineering firm before the 08 crash. Now I just fiddle for remodeling my backyard or other house projects.

Digi-G

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2022, 04:41 pm »
I started using AutoCAD (version 9) in 1987.  Used AutoCAD extensively until about 5 years ago when I switched jobs and then started using REVIT.

I did a lot, A LOT(!!!), of AutoLisp development with AutoCAD.  Mostly for my own use, then for the firm(s) I was with and some of it was even sold.

Not using AutoCAD daily for the last few years, my skills have gotten pretty rusty.  But my Revit skills are better than ever.

Oh, before 1987 I used an Applicon Bravo cad workstation on a mainframe.  Monochrome monitor.  Stylus with a wire and a tablet (no mouse yet).  One good static shock would crash the entire system, especially in the winter.  Used to happen nightly.  We saved often!

OldNick

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2022, 09:11 pm »
Closed my aerial survey biz last year and retired.  Worked with Autocad for a few decades, plenty of custom Lisp too.  Pretty specific applications though, what are you looking for OP?

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2022, 09:22 pm »
Amplifier design  8)

I’ve been sick so I’m a little slow on all fronts.

sandbagger

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2022, 09:23 pm »
I have been doing 3D CAD for 20yrs give or take.
most of those have been in Catia V5 doing surface modeling, mostly sheetmetal but also do solids from time to time

doing a lot of 3D printing for fun last few years so have had to step up my solids game at home

OldNick

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2022, 09:39 pm »
Amplifier design  8)

I’ve been sick so I’m a little slow on all fronts.

Been there.  Probably not my area for CAD I'm afraid, but get better soon. :D

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2022, 11:09 pm »
I have been designing with CAD (starting with Control Data ICM-DDN) back in 1985 I believe. Still have a professional version of Cadkey on my other laptop (Windows XP). Also a Pro-E user and have worked with Auto-CAD, but prefer Cadkey.

sandbagger

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2022, 11:16 pm »
WOW, someone else that actually used CADKEY...   
we used CADKEY97 in school, from there it was SDRC I-DEAS and then onto Catia for me

I have been designing with CAD (starting with Control Data ICM-DDN) back in 1985 I believe. Still have a professional version of Cadkey on my other laptop (Windows XP). Also a Pro-E user and have worked with Auto-CAD, but prefer Cadkey.

BobRex

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2022, 01:12 am »
In 1978 I started working at Bell Labs doing IC design using an internally designed CAD system on an HP1000 minicomputer and a Tektroninx 4014 monochrome terminal.  Doing the multi layers was ummm fun.  We eventually transferred to VAXs - multi user vial terminal servers.  During this time I also learned AutoCAD and taught our facilities team.  Ultimately we moved to Sun workstations and used Mentor Graphics and Cadence apps.  Also Synopsys for simulations.  I left that field in 2001, and except for a home design package haven't used a CAD system since. 

motorcitym3

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2022, 01:48 am »
I modeled my speakers and rudimentary basement layout at home in Catia V5 just to figure out sound treatment placement...does that count?

CAD

REAL LIFE

Norman Tracy

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2022, 02:53 pm »
First off to motorcitym3 PBN speakers plus Eames  :thumb:  :thumb: !!

I have good enough to get the job done Autodesk Fusion 360 skills.

Here is a sculpted baffle drawn and rendered in Fusion 360.

And the resulting speakers at LSAF 2017. I cut all those parts running a ShopBot after doing the CNC tool paths using Vcarve. The electronics display rack in the pic is also one of my designs in that case using 2D CAD design path Corel Draw -> Vcarve -> ShopBot.

Also thanks to day job as EE an 18 year expert user of Altium electronic schematic and PCB CAD software. Some of the HiFi related PCBAs I have authored.

My very first audio DAC the X-DAC 3.0 with PCB layout on a DOS (Norman so old) based CAD.

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2022, 01:07 am »
 :popcorn:

sandbagger

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2022, 02:41 pm »
since we are showing off real world CAD work.

Pretty sure I dont need to add pics for 2 examples
If you have ever seen the front doors on an Aluminum Ford F150 or a liftgate on the current Expedition or Navigator, that was me
designed all the Aluminum Stampings

motorcitym3

« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2022, 03:42 am »
Do you work at PDC?  I'm at AEC (EEE/POEE back in the day when I was in engine).  Mostly working from home since COVID.

You may have heard me zipping around the PDC parking lot.

sandbagger

« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2022, 02:57 pm »
just inside the west lobby of PDC....
havent seen the building since they told us to clear out.
got moved to a new position Jan 2021, new one is a permanent remote worker