Dish TV

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Dish TV
« on: 17 Nov 2019, 12:58 am »
Not exactly IT, but as close as I could come, I guess.

Currently using Sparklight cable (formerly Cableone) for phone, internet, TV.  Phone is a nothing now with cell being primary communication means, but the stupid bundling of services makes it part of the package with little credit for removing that portion.

Looking to change things to save some $$. Am considering switching TV to Dish, Internet stays with Sparklight, phone goes away. On the surface, it looks like we could save $100 month while giving up nothing, but committing to 2 yr contract.

My question concerns Dish and satellite TV in general....never had it. Anyone have experience they'd like to share before we jump? Pitfalls? Praise? All appreciated.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Dish TV
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2019, 01:17 am »
Rain or snow is a problem. So is dawn and sunset, like an hour, or two... each! 
Plus the issues of the company and I suggest reading up on
Google: "problems with Dish TV"
Here are a few 'one star' reviews.... https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cable_tv/dish_network.html?#sort=top_reviews&filter=1   

MY take summed up: (from a review) ""Deceptive advertising, poor customer service, misleading promises, predatory contracts and inability to keep valuable programming! There’s a reason they try to lock you into two years because they know you’ll want to leave within a few months. Do not do business with this horrible company""
Yup.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2019, 01:53 am »
Thanks Elizabeth.

The whole morass is pretty confusing. I can find similar negative reviews for Sparklight and other providers. Claim was made in the pitch we listened to that newest dish got away from some reception glitches, but it was a pitch after all. Have you personal experience?

The $$ saving in enticing, but I sure don't want to buy a two year PITA.

Interestingly, Consumer Reports list Dish highest among non-cable providers.

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2019, 02:48 am »
We have Xfinity internet only service and subscribe to YouTube TV instead of Comcast's tv offering, saved a bundle. There are plenty of other streaming providers as well, all under $50 or so, no contracts. The only reason I'd consider having a dish now is to get NFL Sunday Ticket on Directv.

Brettio

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2019, 05:10 am »
My brother in law rarely gets upset and even less frequently swears.  That changed during his time with DishTV.  As Elizabeth mentioned clouds and fog caused reception interruptions, the billing was always incorrect, getting in contact with customer support was next to impossible and finding a customer support employee that gave a damn was actually impossible.  To top it off he was locked into a two year contract.  I on the other hand paid a bit more for cable but had a smooth, uneventful experience that I could cancel at any time. 

There’s no way I’d ever jump into that pool.