FireFox just blew itself up.. All add ons disabled due to failure to update cert

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
FF hasn't updated mine.  It's still deep sixed.  Hunting down 66.0.4.........   :banghead:
Do you hve Fire Fox set to 'auto-update'? If you have it on manual update, I can see why it is not getting to you...  :thumb:

mav52

Auto for me, Win7-64.   No issues  66.0.4 64 Bit

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
FF hasn't updated mine.  It's still deep sixed.  Hunting down 66.0.4.........   :banghead:
Click Help menu + About Firefox.

Evo-No_Revo

I also had the issue and when I changed the setting in the Firefox setting it took about 20 minutes and it sorted itself out.  I have all extensions back now.

Go to Setting in Firefox > Privacy and Security > Make sure to check; Allow Firefox to install and run studies.

I did that and all is well now.  I am not sure if that is anybody else's issue but it worked for me.

Elizabeth

Just so you are aware... running 'studies' means FireFox corporate gets EVERYTHING you do on, in or around FireFox. Including passwords,...
I would not be working working multi million stock market accounts with 'studies' running.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Well remembered, also ''interaction data'' is a is an ambiguous and elastic term that can be applied to any information that the FF user is working.

Mudslide

Click Help menu + About Firefox.

I had to open up "Studies" in the privacy menu.  Fix came forth and now all is working as it should.  Thanks, guys.   :thumb:

Mudslide

Just so you are aware... running 'studies' means FireFox corporate gets EVERYTHING you do on, in or around FireFox. Including passwords,...
I would not be working working multi million stock market accounts with 'studies' running.

One should close it immediately after the fix.

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
FireFox just killed itself with a huge mistake. I used FireFox and just this morning had to switch to Opera. Tech sites say FireFox has released a fix. I can't seem to get it.
For me it was the disabling of the ad blockers. I did not realize just how bad ads have gotten!
So I took the next best one, Opera.
Hellp opera! goodbye FireFox.

I have Opera, but only use when forced to, as in when Firefox won't run a site. I hate Opera.

(Actually, a lot of those sites also have problems with Opera. In which case, I am forced to use "Chromium", as I run Linux.)

(Don't ask what I think about stinking Chrome, and all of its clones. Opera is Chrome-Lite.)

Anyway, back to the problem....................

I got the message saying some of my add-ons were disabled. Clicked on which ones, and it told me I have none of the affected add-ons.

Whatever.......................

Almost makes you feel nostalgic for the old days of Usenet, and 9600 baud dial-up modems.................

OK, not really. Things worked like crap, but they worked the same crappy way 99.99% of the time.

Mudslide

Hmmm...I seem to be having another issue that you guys can hopefully help with.  A click on a (blued) link in my email or search engine results in ... nothing.  Other links seem to work just fine (such as those posted in this forum).  Any ideas what insidious bug has attacked me (Firefox)?

EDIT:  I have to copy and paste the http address to select links now...no left clicking on the blue links (in email and google search).   :?

EDIT au DEUX:  Eureka! Apparently if one wants to keep AdAware live, then one must press the ctrl button when clicking on links.  Then it will open a tab or window.  Sheesh.
« Last Edit: 8 May 2019, 05:06 am by Mudslide »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
My FF is not configured this way, really a pita.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Yet there is another new update to FF, Version 66.0.5!!
Further improvements to re-enable web extensions which had been disabled for users with a master password set (Bug 1549249).
This add-on fix already do in the v6604  :scratch:

Elizabeth

I pushed the 05 update. I had the 04, but hey! Why not.  :thumb:

Mudslide

Yet there is another new update to FF, Version 66.0.5!!
Further improvements to re-enable web extensions which had been disabled for users with a master password set (Bug 1549249).
This add-on fix already do in the v6604  :scratch:

Yep.  Well....at least we know the folks at FF are alive somewhere and doing...something.   :scratch:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
I will do a restart point before this unexpected update.

Elizabeth

I really liked my old adblockers.. The current ones (I added them ALL) seem incapable of blocking the video ads that start automatically on top of 'news' (This on Yahoo!)
In general the adblockers do well. IE on Yahoo they stand usually around 30 or 40 blocked things..
(PS on Audio Circle there are ZERO blocked items,,,)
But from the tech comments seems FireFox wanted to break the hold of 'old out of date with security danger sort of add ons? So I am satisfied with not using the old ones..

srb

Re: Firefox disables addons due to failure to update cert
« Reply #36 on: 8 May 2019, 06:15 pm »
Community-based Mozilla.org regards security as primary importance and most often errs on the side of being overly cautious.  They're also usually pretty responsive with fixes.

On the other hand most of the other popular browsers consider mining your personal data as job one.

Speedskater

• Kevin
You can also 'refresh' FireFox. It's in the upper right hand corner of the troubleshooting page.
But before you start,make a record of all your add-on and how your toolbars look, because the 'refresh' will wipe all of that.

Elizabeth

You can also 'refresh' FireFox. It's in the upper right hand corner of the troubleshooting page.
But before you start,make a record of all your add-on and how your toolbars look, because the 'refresh' will wipe all of that.
When you go to FireFox and actually re-download it. if you already have it...  it updates to new, AND KEEPS all your stuff. :thumb:

andy_c

If you ever have Firefox problems (like we all did with the recent add-ons debacle), I can strongly recommend checking out the reddit Firefox forum.  Over the weekend I had the bug and switched to Opera temporarily, kind of late at night.  Then the next morning I checked out the reddit Firefox forum and found out about the fix.  That forum has Mozilla personnel, including developers, posting to it.  BTW, enabling "studies" was only needed for the initial temporary fix, which they rolled out without needing a new Firefox release.  You can (and IMO, should for privacy reasons) disable studies with the latest release.  Yeah, they royally screwed up, but they also had people working over the weekend to fix it.  So I can't get too mad at them.

One of the things I noticed about both Opera and Chrome was that, even with an ad blocker, some ads were "mysteriously" not blocked.  With Firefox, and the same ad blocker (uBlock Origin), ads that were not blocked in Chrome and Opera were blocked in Firefox, suggesting that there's code within Chrome to subvert ad blockers for "special" ads.  If they can do that, then I think it's important to support browser developers like Mozilla that aren't subject to this particular corruption, even though they may have annoying screwups from time to time.