Roon NAS as the Core: QNAP Vs. Synology

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Roon NAS as the Core: QNAP Vs. Synology
« on: 2 Feb 2018, 01:07 am »
Roon is recommending at least 4gb and SSD drives if I use it as the Core, which is going to run about 2k for Synology.  Does anyone have QNAP vs Synology experience and recommendations?  Right now I have a Synology DS216J as just NAS, not core, and am liking it, but am getting a lot of cutting out in the middle of the song.

To give you an idea of the lengths to which I've gone to make sure I have the best internet possible in the house, I personally wired each room with cat6 ethernet and have tested each outlet, the switch, and modem multiple times.  I've talked to Roon and Synology and they both think I'm running into problems with Roon Core not having enough computing power.  THe J series was really meant as a standalone NAS, and it does well for that, but it's not really meant as a headless core unit. 

I guess I'm going to have to pony up if I want it to run smoothly, unless I'm missing something you NAS gurus already know, hence the post.

Thanks in advance.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Roon NAS as the Core: QNAP Vs. Synology
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2018, 01:16 am »
Why not buy a NUC to run the core and use the NAS to store your music? 

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2018, 01:28 am »
I use a Synology DS1815+ and a NUC I5 running Roon ROCK. I have both on a UPS with a simple 5 port switch and it's been totally stable. I previously ran the NUC on W10, but much prefer ROCK. It's totally hands off, just runs and runs, no issues.

ClefChef

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2018, 01:32 am »
Why not buy a NUC to run the core and use the NAS to store your music?

^^^Like he said.

Synology is the MB of the NAS, but its server power is designed for SOHO, not for running server side applications.

jpm

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2018, 04:01 pm »
I use a Synology DS1815+ and a NUC I5 running Roon ROCK. I have both on a UPS with a simple 5 port switch and it's been totally stable. I previously ran the NUC on W10, but much prefer ROCK. It's totally hands off, just runs and runs, no issues.

Same here.