What could this be???

srb

Re: What could this be???
« Reply #20 on: 10 Apr 2015, 05:58 pm »
The arms are 1" x 1.5" thick solid 6061 aluminum. I'm guessing conservatively that they'll hold up just about any amp that'll fit on a 20" x 22" table.

I'm sure you're right.

I'm a fan of both Bamboo and aluminum as well as cantilevers, but not so much of angled racks.  Beyond the polarizing aesthetics, they take up more floor space.  I like to get close and personal when operating a turntable, and having to lean forward with my ankles or shins up against the bottom shelf would be too much of an ergonomic tradeoff even with improved heat dissipation.

Perhaps consider an upright variant as an alternate model?

Steve

EdRo

« Reply #21 on: 10 Apr 2015, 06:29 pm »
Hey Steve. Thanks for your insight. I would like to point out that this rack is truly open on three sides. It wouldn't be tough to situate a turntable for easy access to the left or right on these floating shelves. And, these shelves are 20" x 24". I think I put down 18" x 24" earlier. Plenty of room for a turntable and various weights, say, or Star Wars action figures even. (My wife prefers Lady Death)
Again, thanks for the insight, guys. I want this rack to be the best that I can build.

jriggy

« Reply #22 on: 10 Apr 2015, 09:14 pm »
DINGDINGDING!!! A rack it is!!! I thought it would be tougher then that to figure out!!! Do we have some Mensa members trolling here or what?

Woohoo!!! I won! Did I win the rack?  :wink:

And thanks. In my own head, I'm a genius. But the amount my wife rolls her eyes at me makes me wonder where I really sit mentally...

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #23 on: 11 Apr 2015, 01:07 am »
Nice rack!  Oh wait, that sounds inappropriate. . .I don't even know you.  But I do know Ryan. . .

roscoeiii

« Reply #24 on: 11 Apr 2015, 04:37 pm »
Yeah  my concern would be needing to lean in to change an LP on that top shelf. Not sure how I'd like putting on an LP or doing other turntable set up work from the side.

GentleBender

« Reply #25 on: 11 Apr 2015, 08:39 pm »
I think Ed meant that you could just use the entire rack turned either left or right so that you would have access to the top shelf without any obstructions. Right? Could even help keep the cables from crossing over each other if that's your thing. :thumb:

srb

« Reply #26 on: 11 Apr 2015, 08:55 pm »
I think Ed meant that you could just use the entire rack turned either left or right so that you would have access to the top shelf without any obstructions

That would even look weirder having the components offset in a diagonal line.  I suppose it might look more normal if you had an ultra-modern living space with hanging egg pod chairs.  If you had enough components you could use two mirror imaged for symmetry!  ;)

(I would still prefer a more upright version)

Steve

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #27 on: 11 Apr 2015, 09:48 pm »
I think Ed meant that you could just use the entire rack turned either left or right so that you would have access to the top shelf without any obstructions. Right? Could even help keep the cables from crossing over each other if that's your thing. :thumb:

I think he means a normally proportioned human wouldn't have any problem replacing a disc or dropping the arm when standing to the side of the rack. 

EdRo

« Reply #28 on: 11 Apr 2015, 10:04 pm »
Yup. Thats exactly what I meant. Standing to the left or right of center will allow unfettered access to anything on the rack, whether it's on the bottom, mid or top shelves. 3 dimensional chess would be possible, since the shelves are floating and completely open on 3 sides. I apologize for the confusion; as soon as I get the parts from the anodizer I will take a plethora of pics. Since this is my prototype,  I hope to have lots of feedback. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. 

EdRo

« Reply #29 on: 20 Apr 2015, 02:00 am »
Here's s'more pics guys! Almost done!!! What do you think? 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #30 on: 20 Apr 2015, 02:43 am »
That's pretty sexy.
I have no doubt I'll rip off that idea someday.  :wink:

EdRo

« Reply #31 on: 20 Apr 2015, 03:00 am »
My idea was to try to get the rack to disappear; I wanted the shelves with equipment to visually float.The shelves are completely open on 3 sides for full access and viewing. So many manufacturers out there have spent so much effort to make their gear look great. Why put it behind 4 massive corner posts, one shelf on top of the other? I say let those glowing tubes breathe!!! Let the craftsmen that put the effort (and the customers that PAID for that effort!) to make equipment not only sound great AND look great enjoy the fruits of their labor! Don't hide your expensive gear under boring stacks of shelves groaning under the weight of their own visual mediocrity!!! Be FREE of your chains people!!! BE FREEEE!!!!  :banana piano:

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #32 on: 20 Apr 2015, 03:48 am »
I'm thinking some BIG speakers need to flank that rack for the proper visual statement!

GentleBender

« Reply #33 on: 20 Apr 2015, 09:27 am »
I would love one of those in metallic red!  :thumb:

EdRo

« Reply #34 on: 20 Apr 2015, 12:46 pm »
Big...like Perfect Storm big???!!!

EdRo

« Reply #35 on: 20 Apr 2015, 01:21 pm »
This rack is solid aluminum, so powder coating in just about any color is possible. Whatever floats yer boat, Gentlebender!!! I am here to serve!!!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #36 on: 20 Apr 2015, 04:03 pm »
Yes, solid aluminum so many possible colors of anodizing or powder coating.  Also we'll likely offer different options for shelf material, both wood and solid surface (countertop) materials. 

We haven't set final pricing yet, but believe based on material and machining costs that it will be around $6000 to start.  There's nothing on the market built to this level that I'm aware of.  Of course it needs to be incredibly strong to hold 100 pound components in the way it does, but like everything we do over-the-top construction and unique final product was the goal.  I think Ed knocked it out of the park!

Everybody will get to see it in person at Axpona, just a few short days away. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #37 on: 20 Apr 2015, 04:20 pm »
Nice looking rack!    :thumb:

Years ago I owned a Standesigns 5 audio rack.  Similar concept:  floating shelves, swept back design.   Build quality not as good as I see here.  Cheap laminated chipboard shelves (maybe plywood?) that were fixed, not adjustable.  My main complaint was the rear center spine which always got in the way of hooking up my gear.   Sometimes I would need to locate my gear off center in order to make the connections.  Drove me nuts.  Sold it.

See pics here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=standesign+5+component+rack&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-SQ1VZ2-COq1sQStuIF4&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=615#tbm=isch&q=standesign+4+component+rack

EdRo

« Reply #38 on: 20 Apr 2015, 05:29 pm »
Thanks for the link, Sunnydaze! I guess there isn't anything new under the sun. I had the inspiration for my rack design from a climbing tree stand. I figured that this design would be ideal for high end audio equipment, because it could do many things very well. I designed my rack with larger shelves and a "double spine" spaced 20" apart for clear access to the back of most equipment. I wanted 3 sides completely clear; not just for viewing gear, but for ample clearance for maximum air flow around components. The rake back, while taking up a little more space, avoids the "tower of heat" norm without using noisy fans for cooling. I wanted tool-free shelf adjustability. When one of these shelves are lifted in the front, it can then be slid up or down easily. The "teeth" going down the back of the double "spines" keep the shelves where they are put. Not only do the shelves appear to be "floating" in the stand, but the bamboo shelves are also floating on the arms themselves; resting on Herbies finest db neutralizer pads. 2 pins (one on each arm per shelf)keeps each shelf in position if and when equipment might be slid in place. I didn't want the bamboo anchored down to the aluminum to help minimize transferred vibration from the aluminum structure. Not to mention the threaded stud gliders with more db-Neutralizer to keep things quiet from the bottom up. Thanks, Steve at Herbies!!! They really make great stuff over at Herbies!!!

sunnydaze

« Reply #39 on: 20 Apr 2015, 06:23 pm »
It's all good Ed -- I love the look, design, obvious build quality, flexibility and ease of use.

Well thought out, good luck with it!    :thumb: