Bitches Brew

Rclark

Bitches Brew
« on: 28 Jun 2013, 12:27 am »
I played this for the first time yesterday and let me tell you, I was not expecting that. It sounded incredible, it sounded like the blueprint for a lot of music in other genres that would follow, and it certainly didn't sound like any of the jazz albums I owned, I would say 15 so far, from Coltrane, Monk, Ellington, Mingus, Parker, Gershwin, and a few others, including Davis's own Kind of Blue, Birth of the Cool, and Sketches of Spain.

The closest thing to this was hearing Giant Steps the first time.

rockadanny

Re: Bitches Brew
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2013, 02:00 am »
You might find this equally interesting then. The music which led up to BB:

In a Silent Way box set:
http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-complete-in-a-silent-way-sessions-mw0000013982

And what followed BB:

A Tribute to Jack Johnson (not necessary to get the box set, which I have, but IMO is a project of its own and is not essential like its predecessors):
http://www.allmusic.com/album/a-tribute-to-jack-johnson-mw0000311307

For me, it took the context of both of these other releases to better appreciate BB. But that was just me.

95Dyna

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2013, 02:15 am »
Bitch's Brew was released during my senior year in high school, 1969.  As an 18 year old it blew me away even without the context of "in a Silent Way" or what came thereafter.  Mile's was an incomprehensible genius and there is no greater testament to that fact than this album.  "Pharoh's Dance", "Spanish Key" and "Miles Runs the VooDoo Down" are my favorites if it's possible to elevate one piece over another from this work.

Rclark, you and I represent bookends in the admiration of this album.  It warms my heart to hear of somebody new to enter its circle of appreciation.  :thumb:

Chazro

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2013, 06:32 pm »
I bought it way back when because I liked the artwork on the cover (thought it was cool!).  But I couldn't get into it than, guess it was too outside my frame of reference.  That was my 1st Miles Davis record, I currently own over 4 dz!;)  My favorite Miles recording from that period was always 'Live-Evil'.  I was a happy camper when 'The Cellar Door Sessions', a beautiful 6-CD package, was released in 2005.  Miles played a week-long gig at the Cellar Door, snippets from this engagement were made into 'Live-Evil'.  'Sessions' is almost the whole weeks' worth of performances, unedited.  Truly a wealth of riches for any fan of this particular period of Mile's career!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2013, 06:36 pm »
Bitch's Brew was released during my senior year in high school, 1969.  As an 18 year old it blew me away even without the context of "in a Silent Way" or what came thereafter.  Mile's was an incomprehensible genius and there is no greater testament to that fact than this album.  "Pharoh's Dance", "Spanish Key" and "Miles Runs the VooDoo Down" are my favorites if it's possible to elevate one piece over another from this work.

Rclark, you and I represent bookends in the admiration of this album.  It warms my heart to hear of somebody new to enter its circle of appreciation.  :thumb:

I find Bitches Brew to be a masterpiece. I wish i would have listened to it when it came out. I might have changed my life..
Well maybe. Anyway i love it.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2013, 07:47 pm »
Bitches' Brew, Tribute to Jack Johnson, and Live Evil were Miles' attempt at fusion. In my opinion they were the worst albums he ever made.
Although they did serve one purpose, those albums did get people to listen to Jazz.

Doc

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2013, 08:43 pm »
Bitches' Brew, Tribute to Jack Johnson, and Live Evil were Miles' attempt at fusion. In my opinion they were the worst albums he ever made.
Although they did serve one purpose, those albums did get people to listen to Jazz.

Doc
+1. Only thing worse in my opinion were the later ones. To me, pretty much everything he released in the last 10 years of his career was basically unlistenable. (I hate fusion.)

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2013, 09:22 pm »

Doc

Gotta strongly disagree on that one. But hey, we don't all have the same tastes. But RClark, if Bitches Brew blew you away, check out Jack Johnson and On the Corner. Great Miles fusion. Jack Johnson, is one of the most accesible fusion albums out there in my opinion. That guitar and the transitions between parts of the songs are incredible

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2013, 09:30 pm »
Lotta cool posts here  :thumb:

Didn't realize there was some dislike too, I got to hear it without any preconception, all I knew was jazz album, Davis. But reading some of those posts I can see how the introduction of something non-traditional would be frowned upon,

Yeah, I've listened to it the last three nights, very impressive album given the context of my other jazz records. Groundbreaking, I think.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm on those, stat.

Looking forward to more unexpected jazz discoveries, really loving it, this genre hasn't let me down yet.

JEaton

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2013, 09:53 pm »

I've never been able to get into Bitches' Brew, despite quite a few listenings. I love nearly all jazz prior to this, but this era of jazz and much of what followed over the next decade or so leaves me cold. I find most jazz fusion to be just plain boring and would even rather listen to smooth jazz if given the choice.

But I would never go so far as calling it "bad", even if qualified by "in my opinion". To each their own. If you like it, great.

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2013, 10:02 pm »
Lotta cool posts here  :thumb:

Didn't realize there was some dislike too, I got to hear it without any preconception, all I knew was jazz album, Davis. But reading some of those posts I can see how the introduction of something non-traditional would be frowned upon,

Yeah, I've listened to it the last three nights, very impressive album given the context of my other jazz records. Groundbreaking, I think.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm on those, stat.

Looking forward to more unexpected jazz discoveries, really loving it, this genre hasn't let me down yet.

It is important to note that there are many phases to Miles Davis' Career. BeBop and Hard Bop, First Great Quintet (with John Coltrane), Second Great Quintet (with Wayne Shorter), and Fusion are the biggies in my opinion. And each sounds pretty different. If Bitches Brew is blowing your mind, maybe stay in fusion for a bit. Some nice flavors there (On the Corner=funk flavor, Jack Johnson=rock flavor).

Jazz is so much more varied than it may seem on first glance.

Devil Doc

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2013, 10:18 pm »
I love rock and roll. I love Jazz. You mix them together and they suck. My opinion, of course. My god people, think back. This was a money making scheme to increase the audience. It worked for Davis for a while but who's  playing fusion these days.? All that stuff sounds dated now, but yet Kind of Blue still sells.

Doc

roscoeiii

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2013, 10:30 pm »
I love rock and roll. I love Jazz. You mix them together and they suck. My opinion, of course. My god people, think back. This was a money making scheme to increase the audience. It worked for Davis for a while but who's  playing fusion these days.? All that stuff sounds dated now, but yet Kind of Blue still sells.

Doc

Lots of deeply fusion influenced jazz and post-rock played around Chicago.

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2013, 10:31 pm »
And Gateway (great ECM fusion) played Symphony Center to a packed house here in the fall.

*Scotty*

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jun 2013, 10:33 pm »
Miles Davis, Live at Fillmore East was a point in Miles career when he stopped communicating anything to me. The album has a lot of great performances by some of the best musicians in Jazz, but I found nothing but abstraction.
 In the final analysis I am a melody kind of guy. The Duke said it best, "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing".
Scotty

Devil Doc

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2013, 10:40 pm »
And fusion ain't got it. Ding ding a ding.

Doc

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2013, 10:43 pm »
Maybe time to stop thread crapping? Duly noted that you don't like it. Now moving on so RClark and others can talk about what they like and maybe get some refs for next steps.

Devil Doc

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2013, 10:50 pm »
I never said I didn't at one time like it, in fact I own all those albums I mentioned. I just grew up, and here's hoping RClark does too.

Doc

*Scotty*

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jun 2013, 11:06 pm »
I just grew up, and here's hoping RClark does too.
I don't know Doc, that's kind of a pejorative statement to make.
I still like some artists brand of fusion. Return To Forever, Returns has melodic content as well as solo's. The key for me is that the Backbone of the song isn't sacrificed by the artist's urge to make a solo statement of some kind.
Scotty

roscoeiii

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jun 2013, 11:09 pm »
Yeah, Devil Doc what's your deal here? Get off this thread. No need to put down others and their musical tastes and preferences. You made your point and insulted other ACers in the process. Now leave.