modwright phono pre

outwest

modwright phono pre
« on: 9 Mar 2005, 06:27 pm »
Hi Dan,

I was curious if your still aiming at releasing your phono pre in 2005?

Also, do you have a target price for this unit yet?

modwright

ModWright Phono Pre
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2005, 04:14 am »
We ARE planning to release a phono pre in '05.  I have a personal interest in a Class A tube or tube-hybrid phono stage for my own use :).

The design intent is a MM/MC unit.  It may use a hybrid input stage or transformers for MC high-gain.

Pricing is still really up in the air.  I guess I would say that it will be between $1500 and $2500.

It will be a two-box design, with outboard supply for sure.  I may also make it an upgrade option for the SWL 9.0 and SWL 9.0SE.  If so, this would involve addition of the outboard supply for the whole preamp and installation of the phono circuit in the space previously used by the power supply.

I expect that it will be offered this way and as a standalone phono preamp.  I may even offer the standalone version as a phono pre with multiple inputs, so that it may be used as a full-function preamp.

Please let me know if you are interested, as I am trying to gauge interest.  I am also interested in feedback and desired options.

Thanks,

Dan W.

outwest

high interest
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2005, 05:10 pm »
Count me as very interested!

3 options that are important to me:

i don't have a line stage and am hoping your unit can stand alone with a volume option. I can count on one hand the stages that offer this.

It should be able to handle any cart.

Adding a line level input would seal the deal for me.

Im banking your stage will outperform everything in its price class and give the megabuck stages like the Manley Stingray a run for its money.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
modwright phono pre
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2005, 05:56 pm »
Dan,

I have been on the verge of ordering your SE linestage since Bill at Response told me that my Extreme Hurricanes really sounded good with it, but I was holding off due to PS and Phono issues.  You are making this really hard.  I will be seriously interested in your SE Linestage if you add phono section and separate power supply.  I have Legend LAD2 (Von Gaylord) linestage which has separate power supply and an Art Audio Vinyl One phono pre.  If your new 2 box SE iteration with MC phono can equal or better these (3 boxes),  count me in as a customer.

modwright

Phono Pre
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2005, 04:00 pm »
Thank you for your input.  I believe we will offer it incorporated in our existing SWL 9.0SE and as a standalone unit, or may simply incorporate it and offer a new version of the preamp - i.e. a full function SWL 9.0SE with phono and outboard supply.  It really wouldn't be that much more costly to do this than to offer a phono with a line input and volume control.

What is confusing to me, is that there are many preamps with phono stages - most of which are pretty much afterthoughts.  There are also high-end phono pre's, some of which have a volume control and extra line input - Manley Steelhead is a good example.  I don't see why we can't simply build a full function preamp with Class A MC/MM phono pre built in.  This would of course have an external PS also.

The unit will necessarily be more costly than the standard SWL 9.0SE, but I believe this makes more sense than a standalone phono pre.

Input here would be welcome.  I do realize that some people have preamps that they are very fond of and want to add a separate phono pre.  I guess I am simply confident that our preamp is good enough that most would be willing to replace their existing preamp with our full  function pre.

Thanks for your feedback!  This project IS in the works.

Dan W.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Modest proposal
« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2005, 06:05 pm »
Dan,

I read your post somewhere that you are getting this ready for CES.  To expedite this process, I am volunteering my 9.0 SE plus (BG and Ag Slipstream) to be used as a base for the phono stage. I want Brad's umbilical and the whole shebang. I can go with either internal or external MC transformer. 8)  Before you dismiss the idea, think about the positives.  You don't have to build a new linestage.  You will have already sold a phono unit preproduction.  You also won't get pestering PMs from me wanting to know how things are going. :wink:   I am willing to sacrifice my audio enjoyment until I get the 9.0SEP back from you.  All I ask in return is a little discount on the phono section for the troubles. :mrgreen:

modwright

Phono Pre Status...
« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2005, 03:47 am »
Okay guys, I just upgraded my TT today, to a Sota Cosmos with SME V arm and Sumiko Virtuoso cart.  This is really motivating me to complete the phono stage design in time for CES :).

I also have several mfrs. wanting to use our phono pre in Vegas.

In short, the the timeline just moved up and for those who are waiting, don't lose patience with me :).

Thanks,

Dan

jcoat007

Re: Phono Pre Status...
« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2005, 12:55 pm »
Quote from: modwright
Okay guys, I just upgraded my TT today, to a Sota Cosmos with SME V arm and Sumiko Virtuoso cart.  This is really motivating me to complete the phono stage design in time for CES :).

Nice TT setup.  That is a setup that I would love to have.

Count me in on the phono pre.