Pangea DS300 speaker stands

arthur

Pangea DS300 speaker stands
« on: 21 Nov 2013, 11:35 pm »
Hello
Has anyone had any experience with Pangea ds 300 speaker stands?
http://www.audioadvisor.com/PRODUCT-TITLE/productinfo/PGDS300/#.Uo6ZqaVSFFR

they seem quite substantial, but i'm not sure about the quality since i have never seen anything made by this company

thank you

jonbee

Re: Pangea DS300 speaker stands
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2013, 11:45 pm »
They look unbeatable for the $, but there are a couple of items to note:
It looks like they are bolted together, not welded, so they will not be as rigid as more expensive welded designs.
The fit of the spikes is often not tight with cast iron bases, like what it appears these have. Wrapping the spikes in teflon plumbing tape can help that.
That said, they are a super value. You can't get the best at this price, not even used.

arthur

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2013, 01:51 am »
Do you think that using strong epoxy when combining the joints might be a good idea? I know it won't be as strong as a welded connection, but the vibrations that we are trying to control are more of a matter of intense frequency/resonance rather than weight or heavy dynamic impact. Im wondering if for audio purposes it might be just as effective as welding.

If I tape the visible outside portions I think I might be able to do it clean. This should also provide a better seal for the sand inside the stand.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2013, 11:50 am »
They look substantial, personally I wouldn't worry about rigidity and wouldn't smuck them up with epoxy (being bolted they'd ship easier if you ever sold them).  Like all stands I wish they were more stable (heavier/bigger base).  Years ago a 5 pound cat knocked my 10"x10"x20" speaker off a 12" high stand that was on an oak floor.

arthur

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2013, 08:07 pm »
I have been told that Permatex Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker is a good joining compound for resonance control. I think I'll experiment with it to see if it can be used as a semipermanent bond that I can later break with a bit of force, since both sides will be solid metal.

arthur

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2013, 10:36 pm »
These single pole Sound Anchors are also available not terribly far from me, but they have a weird design. Both top and bottom have Ts rather than a solid platform like their normal single pole models.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/4207494018.html

How do you think these stack up against the 4 pole Pangea's?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2013, 11:00 pm »
Sorry, I really don't fret over cables, treatments, racks, stands, or whatever gizmo is hot this month.

DS-21

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2013, 11:33 pm »
The two-post model they offer is superior, because it offers a wire conduit inside the back post. There's no mention of wire management in the 4-post one, and speaker cables run up the back of a speaker stand are extremely inelegant.

arthur

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2013, 10:26 pm »
So it's not crazy of me to assume that 4 post Pangeas will sound better than one post Sound Anchors?

jmc207

« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2013, 11:13 pm »
What's the size of the speakers you're going to put on these stands? The Sound Anchors you linked to are listed as being 16" deep, though it doesn't look that deep from the photo. My thoughts are that more than likely the Pangea stands will work very well.

arthur

« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2013, 11:40 pm »
The speakers are Fritz Rev 5s and are 7.5"x9.5"

Ya I'm still waiting to find out the exact size of those Sound Anchors.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2013, 03:47 am by arthur »